HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Not everyone can afford to shop at Nordstrom. Rideau Centre has carved out a great niche catering to the affluent (and the wannabes). St Laurent is presentable, is always packed, has limited vacancy (mostly on the office side) and offers stores and services catering to middle class and working class people in the city (probably the large majority). The expansion plan would have put it in direct competition with the Rideau Centre and would have made it completely out of place with the area.
I agree, not everyone can afford stores like Nordstrom but by not expanding, they lost the opportunity to get low to mid-tier stores that consumers are craving for and need larger floor space such as Zara, H&M, Forever 21 , etc.... As stated by J.OT13, Place d’Orleans have landed an H&M and a Forever 21 Red, this would have made more sense for them to go to St. Laurent since it has more foot traffic and caters to the East Enders. They might now lose business to Place d’Orleans.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 4:21 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The tower cranes in the west-end parking structure are coming down today.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 11:43 PM

Made a quick run into the mall and there are a few new stores. Northern Reflections has apparently moved to the third floor and Lululemon will take its place. Footlocker moved into HMV's old space. There will be a Kids Footlocker opening on the first floor and a Bonlook across from Swarovski. There is also a small Sens Store. Didn't get a chance to check out the third floor, so no idea if it is doing better.

EDIT: Just checked the site out of curiosity and apparently NRML will be opening a store in Bayshore on the first floor.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 12:20 AM

Was at Bayshore recently and noticed a sign indicating Chinese retailer, Miniso, is moving into a spot on the bottom floor across from the Pinkberry. I think this will be there first location in Ottawa.

Interestingly, there was some issues with their parent company a few weeks back:
https://www.narcity.com/news/miniso-...illion-in-debt

Here's what the Toronto location looks like:
https://www.blogto.com/design/miniso...entre-toronto/
https://torontolife.com/style/shoppi...onto-location/

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 1:54 PM

Bayshore is pretty good at attracting first to market stores, yet doesn't seem to have the same grasp on the market it used to. Maybe that's just me.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
Was at Bayshore recently and noticed a sign indicating Chinese retailer, Miniso, is moving into a spot on the bottom floor across from the Pinkberry. I think this will be there first location in Ottawa.

Interestingly, there was some issues with their parent company a few weeks back:

Here's what the Toronto location looks like:
https://www.blogto.com/design/miniso...entre-toronto/
https://torontolife.com/style/shoppi...onto-location/
Miniso is a pretty good get. There are lots of people in the Asian market that love the Japanese dollar store concept (despite Miniso actually being a Chinese business). The Tokyo Shop that was downtown and recently closed really didn’t do the concept justice.

I wonder how long it’ll take before Ottawa will get a Uniqlo and a Muji. My partner has been dying for a Muji in Ottawa.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 2:18 AM
Busy Beaver

I thought Miniso Canada was in trouble and filing for bankruptcy?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 2:20 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcphoenix View Post
I wonder how long it’ll take before Ottawa will get a Uniqlo and a Muji. My partner has been dying for a Muji in Ottawa.
I'm dying for both to open a location in Ottawa as well. Here's hoping this is potentially a Muji at Bayshore instead of a Miniso given the latter's bankruptcy.

Rideau seems a perfect fit for Uniqlo.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I thought Miniso Canada was in trouble and filing for bankruptcy?

Inaccurate apparently. See Canada Retail Thread.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=5529

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 10:48 PM

There's a new update via Retail Insider about the Miniso situation:

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...en-controversy

Doesn't look very good... Maybe they won't be moving into Bayshore after all...

Quote:

The Canadian Press reported widely on January 7 that an agreement had been reached, however it didn’t dig deeper into the matter and simply quoted Mr. Grieve’s statement about an “interim agreement”.

Since we published our story on Miniso’s woes on December 17, several former employees have reached out to Retail Insider with less-than-positive stories about working for the company. Miniso Canada could still be in trouble particularly in Quebec, as well, where it has not met language standards that include french language on products and overall branding. One former employee explained how Miniso had been put on notice by the Office québécois de la langue française, or the ‘Language Police’ as some call them. Multiple lawsuits for unpaid construction projects also plague the retailer.

The language issue could result in Miniso losing millions of dollars if the ‘Language Police’ follow through with threats to fine Miniso. Fines can be steep, with a maximum fine being $20,000. According to law firm Blakes, if a business is put on notice and doesn’t adhere to language laws, there “is the possibility that an additional fine may be imposed on the offender equal to the financial gain the offender realized or derived from the offence”. A source, who recently resigned from the company, explained how the Chinese parent company “didn’t understand” the language requirements and furthermore, it appeared to be unconcerned in complying with the law.

A former employee at Miniso explained in detail how Miniso’s expansion, while rapid, has been taxing on everyone involved. Miniso’s Canadian expansion appeared to be successful quickly — a source said that the “daily average sales and profitability were unmated by other developing countries” and with that, Miniso Canada is said to be one of the world’s top five markets globally in terms of total sales volume. In this retail climate, the claim is phenomenal, while at the same time internal operations were in turmoil.

With the expansion came pressure from the Chinese parent company to expand rapidly — the goal was to open 500 stores in three years, which is ambitious for any retailer entering a new market. What resulted are long hours, weekend work and overtime, with some employees spending nights in sleeping bags in a company warehouse. One former employee said that for the first time, they had taken sleeping pills and anti-depressants to deal with the situation.

After entering Canada in 2017, Miniso began to pick up the pace of opening stores last year that has seen about 50 open to date. Given the rapid expansion, the source explained how there was “no time to celebrate” as new locations would have to be strategized. It took nearly a year from the opening of Miniso’s first store in Canada to its 10th. In less than four months after that, Miniso went from operating 11 stores to 40 in Canada. The source said that one of the challenges was getting enough product into stores — deliveries were delayed and payment terms became a challenge. Another issue was design copyright — the source claims that some of Miniso’s products from China infringed on design copyright from a “more famous Japanese brand”.

Miniso held a Miniso Canada Merchants Conference in Toronto in the summer of 2018, according to the source. Many attended, including venture capitalists looking to invest in Miniso Canada. This was a threat to the Chinese parent company said the source, causing further friction between Miniso’s Chinese parent and Canadian division. There were also supply issues more recently where only 30 of 80 ordered shipping containers arrived with Miniso product from China — stocking Canadian stores became a challenge and some non-Miniso branded products were added to the retail mix to avoid empty shelves.

A source also claims that some assets were transferred out of the company, matching claims made in the Chinese parent company’s application for bankruptcy in December. There was also a claim that some imports were not declared and that proper sales records were not kept, which could result in an investigation by the CRA.

Some brokers we spoke with explained how Miniso Canada’s dealings were “unethical” in some respects, and requested we not go into further detail so as to not identify the source. Another source claims that Miniso Canada induced highly skilled retail professionals to leave secure employment in order to launch Miniso in a new province. Within six months of establishing several stores in the province, the retail professional’s employment would be terminated so that the local licensee could take over the thriving operations. The ownership arrangement of Miniso Canada was said to be unique — the Canadian division would initially own a slight majority of the provincial franchise for Miniso and after opening several stores, the local partner would gain a majority share in order to continue with the operations.

Another source explained how Miniso Canada used employment recruitment services in order to hire primarily “Asian” looking store staff in order to “maintain its branding”. Miniso’s Glassdoor rating is 2.1 with comments from Canadians such as:
  • ”All the good Managers are leaving only people with family References and with no experience are taking over.” (Current assistant store manager in GTA)
  • ”confuse order everyday from management” (former truck driver in Coquitlam)
  • ”No real training (supervisor talked to me for less than 5 min to tell me what to do). No benefits for part timers (not even a small discount for purchases)
  • Unorganized work hours (sometimes *being told* not being asked to come in early a couple hours before original shift) (from a current employee in Scarborough)
  • ”Upper management is so busy opening a brand new store every single week that they neglect caring about the people that work in these stores. They have failed to consider the fact that due to their lack of proper communication and respect for store managers/keyholders/store associates, the employee turnover rate is high.”
  • ”Instead of guiding and helping us on what needs to be fixed or improved, upper management thinks yelling at us like we're misbehaved children is the right way. It's extremely humiliating and downright verbally abusive. We're trying our absolute best every single day but to them it isn't enough and never will be.”
  • “Head office people constantly watch all of us on CCTV cameras to see if we'll mess up. They don't use those cameras for loss prevention, it's for spying on YOU. They even screenshot and send pictures of their delusional assumptions to a group chat full of Miniso managers and keyholders in the whole entire city!!!! (last 3 from a current store associate in Toronto)

Indeed.com also has plenty of comments about Miniso’s operations. One comment we’d seen a few times in different forms: “Very unorganized shipments, 2 shipments a week each consisting of 6 skids (which is way too much for a novelty store). Therefore, stock rooms became a mess, no where to take breaks (well you were not really given breaks anyways). A very dangerous work environment, there were boxes staked 6-8 boxes high most of the days. We received Christmas stock in April - lack of communication between warehouse and operations. It seems like everyone in management lacks common sense, they are all money driven and not practical.”

On top of that, there are several pending lawsuits from companies that claim to have not been paid by Miniso Canada, including construction companies that built some of its stores. Court filings are public record in most provinces, and some are searchable online.

At the same time, Miniso’s overall concept is exceptional. It offers a variety of inexpensive items that are well-designed, in store environments that are bright and upbeat. Last week, we visited a Miniso store at CF Toronto Eaton Centre, and it was packed with shoppers and there was a lineup at the cash desk. That location features a mix of Miniso-branded products as well as some non-branded products, which wasn’t the case when the chain entered Canada. If Miniso can sort its operations out in Canada, it could become a successful retailer and indeed meet its goal of opening 500 stores. We hope everything works out for the best, and it appears that there’s still work to be done.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 3:50 PM

Relocation of food court

So with the closing of Moxies, i asked somone at the Starbucks, what all the extra space would be used for.

I was told and it has been Independently confirmed, by a friend who owns a business in Bayshore, that the food court will be relocated to the third floor.

It will occupy the same general area as before, maybe a bit larger.

Apparently there are 2 reasons behind this.

1 - the ventilations system in the new food court is not working properly.

2 - this is also a move to drum up traffic on the third floor.

Last edited by DarthVader_1961; Aug 4, 2019 at 9:27 PM. Reason: Correct typos

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 4:48 PM

Wow, 5 years and they already want to re-locate the food court. That's pretty bad.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVader_1961 View Post
So with the closing of Moxies, i asked somone at the Starbucks, what all the extra space would be used for.

I was told and it has been Independently confirmed, by a friend who owns a business in Bayshore, that the food court will be relocated to the third floor.

It will occupy the same general area as before, maybe a bit larger.

Apparently there are 2 reasons behind this.

1 - the ventilations system in the new food court is not working properly.

2 - this is also a move to drum up traffic on the third floor.
Makes sense traffic wise, but I hated when the food court was up there. Felt like it was out of the way and the selection of stores up was terrible.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 12:13 PM

I never shop at Bayshore because of the terrible unpleasant connection to the Bayshore transit station. Same problem for Lincoln Fields.
Rideau, St Laurent, Billings Bridge (and even Gloucester and Place d'Orleans) do much better in that regard.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
I never shop at Bayshore because of the terrible unpleasant connection to the Bayshore transit station. Same problem for Lincoln Fields.
Rideau, St Laurent, Billings Bridge (and even Gloucester and Place d'Orleans) do much better in that regard.
So does Place d'Orléans. I can't understand why Bayshore didn't design a better connection when they re-built the parking structures. They could have built a climate controlled, pedestrian only corridor. Have doors to serve the parking garage if you must. It would have been the perfect opportunity.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
So does Place d'Orléans. I can't understand why Bayshore didn't design a better connection when they re-built the parking structures. They could have built a climate controlled, pedestrian only corridor. Have doors to serve the parking garage if you must. It would have been the perfect opportunity.
At the very least they could have made it a straight line so you didn't have to snake around the railings and columns.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 10:46 PM

I worked at Bayshore when they built the new Transitway Station circa 2002 and we all thought the bridge connection to the mall was temporary because it was so ridiculous.

Moving the food court back to the third floor with the space provided by a newly vacated Moxies and a newly moved Rogers would allow them to carve out a larger food court than the old one with curved frontages like the new one. It strikes me a wise investment. The new food court location never made sense to me and it has really moved the action to one end of the mall. They should find a new anchor tenant for the current food court space. The way it is now it's almost like they expanded just to lose quality renters in another space.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 3:41 PM
BANNED

It has really turned into a fancy mall and I'm very impressed with how it looks, it's a nice place to walk in the winter when it's icy outside

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 6:17 PM

I stopped by the mall back in August, first time there in quite some time. Lots of empty spaces with all the closures, but nothing close the the empty spaces at Rideau Centre. Looks like the effort to move the food court back to the 3rd floor is underway (is that still the plan)? We forgot most places like this open at 11 now so we were there just after 11 and it was not busy at all, which was nice. I am sure traffic picked up after we left.

The Home Sense in there is great, always have good stock.

The renovations make the place nicer inside for sure. Not a big fan of that parking structure, it is very segmented; but its just parking right so whatever.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 10:39 PM

I went to Bayshore last weekend and it was the busiest place I have been to since the pandemic began. It seems they are doing well even with all the store closures. I think I'm the only person on Earth that likes the new parking garage. I think the long ramps are genius, you can get out in a quarter of the time of any other garage that size. I think when people get used to the odd but innovative layout they will begin to appreciate it more.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs