HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I did not know that the guts of the current Neptune still contained the Garrick. I had assumed when the outside was done that it was a completely new building, but admittedly I didn't pay much attention to Halifax building projects back then.

Thanks for the info!
Yes, while the exterior of the building was substantially rebuilt in 1997, they built around the original auditorium, designed in 1915 (as the Strand Theatre) by Andrew Cobb. There's more about the theatre's history here.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 11:06 AM

Thanks for that. Very interesting!

Now I'll have to search for construction photos, if any exist online...

(Thanks to the mods for moving these posts to a more appropriate thread! )

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 2:21 PM

Here's an interesting format for collecting information related to the urban renewal efforts in Halifax... organized as a "tour"

https://historicnovascotia.ca/tours/show/5

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Here's an interesting format for collecting information related to the urban renewal efforts in Halifax... organized as a "tour"

https://historicnovascotia.ca/tours/show/5
I saw that yesterday. The pictures are good and mostly ones we have seen previously. It's a shame the text has a definite slant to it.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 4:32 PM

Interesting. I hadn't seen that site before.

It looks like, if you go back to the base home page, https://historicnovascotia.ca/, you can use the map to zero in on particular areas of interest.

I haven't read through many of them, but they don't all seem to have a particular narrative attached to them. That appears to be based on however the particular author decided to portray them (as often happens in historical writing).

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 3:10 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Canada Permanent Building restoration:

Waye Mason posted these

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 10:08 AM

Aside from removing the gold paint on the silver/stainless horizontal and vertical members and removing the railing around the rooftop, what else has changed?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 11:17 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Aside from removing the gold paint on the silver/stainless horizontal and vertical members and removing the railing around the rooftop, what else has changed?
Looks like not much, though there were hops to have a mesh put back in place along the South side of the building.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 4:12 PM

Quote:
All of the panels have been cleaned or replaced. It makes a considerable difference in person. It no longer looks as shabby. They just need to get rid of those weird wooden columns at the Dirty Nellys entrance.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
They just need to get rid of those weird wooden columns at the Dirty Nellys entrance.
I would certainly agree with that.

I will have to make a rare visit to DT to see it in person.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
All of the panels have been cleaned or replaced. It makes a considerable difference in person. It no longer looks as shabby. They just need to get rid of those weird wooden columns at the Dirty Nellys entrance.
Those columns aren't horrible from street level, but I agree it would give a better aesthetic if they were removed, or even shortened by one level. They do hint at the interior of the pub, which apparently was shipped from Ireland and reconstructed in its current location.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Those columns aren't horrible from street level, but I agree it would give a better aesthetic if they were removed, or even shortened by one level. They do hint at the interior of the pub, which apparently was shipped from Ireland and reconstructed in its current location.
I have to disagree - I think all the fake-n-bake oldentimey crap should be pulled off - it's like they hot glued ticky tacky ornamentation they bought at some home improvement store to the outside. Terrible at street level and terrible in these photos.

So there. LOL

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 2:36 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This reminds me of the TD Centre in Toronto, which was designed by Mies van der Rohe. Aside from having a coherent design as a complex, for the first while they even demanded that the shops inside the mall have uniform signage in the same plain lettering (Helvetica?).

Halifax tends to be the opposite, where people kind of do whatever they want to any building and everything is a mish mash of styles. Of course much of Toronto is like this too.

There's a happy medium. I feel like right now Halifax is too far on the haphazard end of the spectrum, and there are a lot of parts of the city that would look dramatically nicer with a bit of cosmetic improvement and uniformity or faithfulness to original architectural styling.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This reminds me of the TD Centre in Toronto, which was designed by Mies van der Rohe. Aside from having a coherent design as a complex, for the first while they even demanded that the shops inside the mall have uniform signage in the same plain lettering (Helvetica?).
That seemed to be a thing for a while. When Scotia Square mall first opened all of the shops had uniform storefront signage. The only choice was whether the letters were white or yellow.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 12:56 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

The only thing missing from the photo above is someone sitting at the fountain smoking a cigarette.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I have to disagree - I think all the fake-n-bake oldentimey crap should be pulled off - it's like they hot glued ticky tacky ornamentation they bought at some home improvement store to the outside. Terrible at street level and terrible in these photos.

So there. LOL
Don't hold back... Tell us how you really feel!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 2:08 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

A relatively small change to the neighbourhood, but I've wondered for a while when some of these properties along Cornwallis Street would lose their old vinyl or greying wood siding. This is one of Halifax's many almost-great streetscapes:

Source

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 4:45 PM

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 7:56 PM

Too bad that area is so Disneyfied now, could be any bunch of replica old buildings. Certainly not authentic like Colonial Williamsburg for example.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Too bad that area is so Disneyfied now, could be any bunch of replica old buildings. Certainly not authentic like Colonial Williamsburg for example.
Man, you are such a downer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues