HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

375 East Wacker Drive in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 2:16 AM
TL;DR

No. Magellan's current site plan shows this site divided among three buildings.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 2:18 AM
TL;DR

No. Magellan's current site plan shows this site chopped into three different pieces, probably for three different buildings.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 3:24 AM
The Hero we deserve

I found a rather old article stating that it was still a go and it would be built as soon as the economy turned around.

"Post-Aqua, is it back to standard-issue buildings at Lakeshore East?

'No. It’s going to be tough to top that building. But we hired Arquitectonica, the Miami firm, and they designed a building that straddles the street. We were ready to go. Thank God we never started. A great market opportunity, in the next two or three years, after you get through the overhanging inventory.'"

http://www.chicagomag.com/Radar/Deal...-the-Downturn/

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 5:21 AM

No comment on the building, but from that interview Loewenburg sounds like just the asshole you'd expect him to be.

He's a successful developer but should lay off calling himself an architect.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 5:55 AM
TL;DR

He's not opposed to the idea of hiring outside architects, nor is he possessed of some irrational belief in his own design genius.

He wanted to keep design in-house to minimize the overhead for the first round of towers - this wasn't a standard development, and the PD required all sorts of uber-expensive infrastructure - a huge park, public stairways, new elevated streets, etc. All that stuff needed to be put in place from Day 1 for the neighborhood to succeed, so Loewenburg cut costs elsewhere and designed the buildings himself. The ones in more prominent positions (Regatta, Chandler, Lancaster) are designed with a bit more flair than the internal ones (Tides/Chandler), but they're all designed on a budget.

I would think that you of all people would know the difference between pure assholery and simple business acumen.

Now that the neighborhood is successful, Loewenburg has no problem hiring talented outside architects to give beauty and cachet to the area. Outside architects have designed Aqua, Coast, the Parkhomes, the Village Market, and the park itself, as well as this apparently-dead 375 E. Wacker scheme.

I will note that Loewenburg was responsible for 1130 S. Michigan. I like mid-century modern lakefront towers, even the ones with big car dropoffs, but not in the middle of the Grant Park street wall.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 1:53 AM
DENNAB

Woah I love this building

Hope it gets built

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 1:55 AM
Khurram Parvaz

It's really different, from Chicago's 'usual' buildings. JUST like Arquitectonica's Westin hotel here in NYC on 8th Ave is different from the rest.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
It's really different, from Chicago's 'usual' buildings. JUST like Arquitectonica's Westin hotel here in NYC on 8th Ave is different from the rest.
I think it's very Chicago. Boxy, but with a unique twist. I don't know how Chicago manages to make so many boxy buildings that actually look good. I'd love to trade 1 Liberty Plaza for almost any of Chicago's boxes.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 1:34 AM

Question

What happen to this project..? Is it cancelled or proposed? I really like this building but haven't heard news from it.. Does someone know about this? if you do, could you please give me details!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 2:52 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

A number of people here are pretty plugged in. If there was any notable movement going on it would be short order before someone would post about it here.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 7:55 AM
All-American City Boy

Strange, on the illustration page, the image for this project isn't showing up, even though there are 3 illustrations for it.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 7:27 PM

I somewhat regret to say that this project is dead. I spoke with representatives of the development firm... however they are committed to bringing good architecture to the site.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 8:27 PM
DENNAB

yea I figured as much, however, as long as something tall and interesting finally goes on the site I'm cool with that.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 10:08 PM

Bitter sweet. I was really sad to hear this at first, but I'm ok now. It was THE best proposal in Chicago. But, beside the giant hole (which atquetectonica has done before), it might be better than an scb econobox, but I think this design in general was more flash than substance. Maybe I'm just consoling myself. Here's to hoping that something great is brought here. I'd love to see a brand name architect (other than and more current than a local like Jahn, Gang, Johnson and NOT Pelli or liebeskind) build in this city in my era.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Last edited by ChiPhi; Jul 26, 2012 at 10:21 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 11:06 PM
DENNAB

I don't know how much I would get my hopes up, I mean look what happened at wolfpoint.

I think the US's skyscraper days are done for good, I didn't think so a month ago, but I'm starting to really think the country will never actually see skyscrapers again. Too many height limits/zoning laws/lack of demand etc.

Maybe a few years down the road the situation will be different, I really hope so.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2012, 2:43 AM

^
I don't think so. Plenty of skyscrapers being built in NY right now, let alone Chicago. Plus, everything in LSE is essentially already approved by size and such with rough designs iirc. Plus there is a rising demand for urban, in many cases highrise, living in America right now.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Jul 27, 2012, 2:46 PM
you know where I'll be

^^ I'm not sure what you're saying has "happened" at Wolf Point. (Unless you're simply referring to the 'controversy' of the proposal drummed up by area NIMBYs who are obstensibly concerned with density, congestion, and whatever else outwardly-claimed issues they have.

On 375 E. Wacker, I'm not surprised it's a dead project, in fact I'm surprised it seemed to have held out as long as it did. Typically, specific proposals don't have a 'shelf-life' of 5-10+ years......they usually change when eventually resurrected, either by a the same developer or a different one (in this case I'm fairly confident it will be the same developer! )

Old Posted Jul 27, 2012, 7:33 PM

Wow so this project is dead ha...
This is so amazing yet sad for us the Chicagoans, All the 2008-9 highrise & supertall proposed towers got cancelled and the only one that survive was the trump.. Sad to hear

Old Posted Jul 27, 2012, 10:06 PM
DENNAB

One can only wish for another highrise boom...

Old Posted Jul 27, 2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
One can only wish for another highrise boom...
You mean like the current high rise boom here in Chicago?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive