HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 6:03 PM

Mountain Secondary site | ? | 8 fl | Planning

The site of the former Mountain Secondary School will be redeveloped into affordable family housing by East Kiwanis and Victoria Park Community Homes.

Press release: https://www.facebook.com/KiwanisHome...47790665373644

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 7:36 PM

big site. Should be potential for a huge amount of new housing units, even if they are in the form of townhouses.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
big site. Should be potential for a huge amount of new housing units, even if they are in the form of townhouses.
Over 200 is the plan according to The Spec. What gets me is that EK and VP have less than $40m to contribute towards the project worth over $100m. On a project of that scale, would it be possible to get financing for 75% of the project costs? I don't think large amounts of government grants will (or should) be available for a project projected to rent units at 125% AMR.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 3:55 PM

Initial renders from East Kiwanis

https://www.facebook.com/KiwanisHome...3584259794284/

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 5:43 PM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
The building is ugly as sin but I do think eight storeys is a good benchmark for the development of the site, and eight storeys of affordable housing is nothing to sneeze at.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 1:19 PM

The partnership between E Kiwanis and Vic Park is going by the name of Caledon Community Collaborative. Here's the working site plan from their community meeting last week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUtxbZ7TLhQ

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 2:26 PM

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 3:19 PM

I don't love this design at all. Reminds me the 1970s social housing blocks, with loads of surface parking and unused park space by anyone than drug dealers.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 12:58 AM

Renders from East Kiwanis:

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 4:43 AM

Nice! But blegh, surface parking. The city really needs a storm water fee and reduced parking minimums.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 2:06 PM

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 2:24 PM

Back-to-back townhouse, i.e. no backyard, sounds soul-crushing to live in. Why even try to make it a "house" at that point? Just make it an apartment building.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 2:55 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

People like having their own front door, I suppose?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 3:01 PM

back to back townhouses have been around for a long time and you can see them in the older parts of England where over time, servants quarters were subdivided from the primary house once the time for having live in housekeepers was over.

Most back to back towns have a rooftop balcony, and many offer a secondary balcony or juliet. Yards aren't everything. Some people are just too proud to buy a condo and want something with ground access.

Here's a plan from a back to back development in oakville

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 3:16 PM

There's also something to be said about quality of living. I don't really like condos because I find the elevator impossibly painful to deal with, and there's always so many people. If you don't need or want outdoor space, a townhome would be better for those who don't want to deal with elevators and such.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 3:29 PM

I don't know - I was renting in a 16 storey condo at king / sherbourne last year and the elevator was never an issue. Plenty of people with strollers and kids heading up to their respective floors without a problem. It really seems to only be a problem in buildings that are over 40 stories with several hundred units.

Regardless - millions of people around the world live fulfilling lives without access to a private yard. That's a very north american / suburban thing that's seen more as a status symbol than anything else. For me, I'd rather be able to walk out of my front door and have access to great transit and amenities vs a yard that I need to buy equipment to maintain.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
I don't know - I was renting in a 16 storey condo at king / sherbourne last year and the elevator was never an issue. Plenty of people with strollers and kids heading up to their respective floors without a problem. It really seems to only be a problem in buildings that are over 40 stories with several hundred units.

Regardless - millions of people around the world live fulfilling lives without access to a private yard. That's a very north american / suburban thing that's seen more as a status symbol than anything else. For me, I'd rather be able to walk out of my front door and have access to great transit and amenities vs a yard that I need to buy equipment to maintain.
Don't get me wrong, I totally agree that many don't need a yard. My partner and I do want a yard because we're very outdoorsy, we have a canoe and other things that wouldn't work in a condo, but I do think mid rise condos are absolutely fine. My friend lives in a 40 storey in South Etobicoke and hates the elevator situation. There's hundreds of units and hundreds of people. When he gets home from work, he has to wait in line for the elevator. Some don't want to deal with them at all. My point is mostly that a range of living styles and preferences exist. I don't think we should keep building sprawl. My partner and I have a mini backyard. It's 20ft wide for 30 ft long compared to suburban lots. No front yard. That's my perfect size, not too much to maintain, but enough space for a patio set, and our outdoor belongings. It's also a duplex because the property would have been too much house for just two of us.

My dad would love a condo in a mid-rise because he doesn't want to maintain any yard at all, or shovel. These townhomes match the need of someone who doesn't want a yard but doesn't want to live somewhere as dense as a mid-rise. I'm betting there are thousands willing to live in mixed use mid rises everywhere in Hamilton though if we were to actually build them here. Especially if good transit was available (in many places it is pretty good)

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 4:03 PM

You're relatively lucky then not experiencing elevator issues. I lived on grand trunk crescent (not ice condos-who also had issues) and there were multiple elevator issues over my 5 years there. Including times when 2-3 of 4 elevators were not working.

Regularly on CBC News there were segments highlighting elevator issues across the city (Fort York, Ice Condos, Aurora, etc) and when you live in the sky you're very dependent on working elevators. For people with special needs, mobility help, old people, pregnant women, kids who gone to school, etc., it's a disaster.

There's a monopoly in elevator repair (two operators--Otis and Thyssen Krupp) and I strongly recommend anyone out there with the will to start a residential high-rise/commercial repair company. You'll be rich beyond your wildest dreams.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 4:27 PM

not having an elevator is definitely a plus, but if a building is well designed it's not an issue. I lived on the 23rd floor (well, 22nd as they skipped the 13th) when I lived in Toronto and never had issues with the elevator waits as they actually had enough elevators in the building for the number of units. It still took time though to use the elevator to get down to grade. It's nice being able to just walk out your door.

Alternately a low-floor apartment unit works fairly well as well, my other places in Toronto were on floors 2-4 and I would always just take the stairs which was very fast.

I know my brother lived on the 43rd floor of a building for a while that had lots of elevator issues though. So it definitely happens, especially in larger buildings.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Don't get me wrong, I totally agree that many don't need a yard. My partner and I do want a yard because we're very outdoorsy, we have a canoe and other things that wouldn't work in a condo, but I do think mid rise condos are absolutely fine. My friend lives in a 40 storey in South Etobicoke and hates the elevator situation. There's hundreds of units and hundreds of people. When he gets home from work, he has to wait in line for the elevator. Some don't want to deal with them at all. My point is mostly that a range of living styles and preferences exist. I don't think we should keep building sprawl. My partner and I have a mini backyard. It's 20ft wide for 30 ft long compared to suburban lots. No front yard. That's my perfect size, not too much to maintain, but enough space for a patio set, and our outdoor belongings. It's also a duplex because the property would have been too much house for just two of us.

My dad would love a condo in a mid-rise because he doesn't want to maintain any yard at all, or shovel. These townhomes match the need of someone who doesn't want a yard but doesn't want to live somewhere as dense as a mid-rise. I'm betting there are thousands willing to live in mixed use mid rises everywhere in Hamilton though if we were to actually build them here. Especially if good transit was available (in many places it is pretty good)
Just a note - but most standard suburban backyards these days are about 25x32 feet. Suburban house lots are smaller than many inner city lots - the old myths of low density sprawl are very much not a thing any more, and Hamilton's vote to end new growth areas will make backyards out of reach for a far larger part of the population in a few decades. Most units in new suburban areas are already townhouses as well, which if they even have yards instead of a rooftop terrace or something, are even smaller, often in the 20x20ft range.

The kinds of densities planners were planning for the new growth areas recommended for Hamilton (and will likely still get through the province over-ruling the municipality) were similar to that of North Oakville - tiny little house lots with lots of townhouses and apartments along main streets. You can see this typical suburban density here, where there is a semi-unit with a roughly 20x25ft rear yard and minimal front yard, or here where there is a detached unit again with a 25x32ft rear yard and minimal front yard.

New houses built recently in Hamilton had to meet lower density targets (50 people / hectare vs. 80 people / hectare) and are a bit larger, but still not extravagant. This new home in Waterdown has a 24x35ft rear yard and only a small front yard.

The age of 60x80ft rear yards and massive front yards is long gone. New construction subdivisions usually have 32x100ft lots and a lot more townhouses than historically.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton