HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 5:45 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Yeah, coastal Maine is too popular during peak season. The drive up from NYC or Boston is hell, at least pre-Covid August summer weekends.

I need to do Maine in the early Fall. Right about now would be perfect.
Give it another week or so when the foliage starts to pop.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 4:23 PM

I'm a little worried we chose a bad time to go based on crowds... I guess I figured travel would be down from COVID but didn't really think it through. From what I've heard from our AirBNB host and a couple of experienced acquaintances, mid-October in the New England is packed...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 4:36 PM

I think this Fall color season won't be as packed, due to Covid, and parents not wanting their kids to miss any more schooling. I haven't been in Vermont or Maine this year, but Connecticut and Upstate weren't as busy as past years.

Keep in mind that color season on the East Coast is earlier than in the Upper Midwest. Probably about two weeks ahead, and colors are starting to change right about now.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I think this Fall color season won't be as packed, due to Covid, and parents not wanting their kids to miss any more schooling. I haven't been in Vermont or Maine this year, but Connecticut and Upstate weren't as busy as past years.

Keep in mind that color season on the East Coast is earlier than in the Upper Midwest. Probably about two weeks ahead, and colors are starting to change right about now.
Damn, I did some research and came to the conclusion that mid-October was prime foliage time in Maine, hope that wasn't dated... I've seemed to notice the timing of trees changing differently in recent years compared to when I was younger.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Be That Guy View Post
You could easily spend a leaserly 3-7 days in the Finger Lakes. The area between Ithica and eastern suburban Buffalo is chocked full of waterfalls, great state parks (Watkins Glenn and Litchworth are standouts), wineries, and charming small towns (Geneva, Mt. Morris, Geneseo, East Aurora). It's really an underrated part of the US.
Not just the Finger Lakes in that area you mentioned, but up to and even past Syracuse as well. Here is a great source: https://www.cnyhiking.com/

Can’t forget places like Seneca Falls and Skaneateles as well.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 8:49 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckh View Post
Not just the Finger Lakes in that area you mentioned, but up to and even past Syracuse as well. Here is a great source: https://www.cnyhiking.com/

Can’t forget places like Seneca Falls and Skaneateles as well.
There's also Chittenango, Oriskany & Trenton Falls.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Damn, I did some research and came to the conclusion that mid-October was prime foliage time in Maine, hope that wasn't dated... I've seemed to notice the timing of trees changing differently in recent years compared to when I was younger.
Might be a bit dated, and yeah I agree on how peak timing keeps creeping forwards. Most of Maine sees peak foliage during the last week of September and first week of October these days. Portland and south might be closer to mid October, but if you're hoping to catch any real North Woods color, you're well past prime by now (Oct. 14th).

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 2:29 AM

Muppet, I'm a little late to this thread, but let me add to the Mystic/Groton/Stonington love. You won't regret spending time there.

You might also consider off-season Cape Cod. Especially Hyannis Port and the other Barnstable villages. Or venture further to the Lower and Outer Cape for some places which will feel quite similar to Cornwall. Hell, there's even a Truro to visit. Provincetown will knock your socks off, even during off-season.

Also, a few days on Block Island is pure heaven.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions