HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 3:40 AM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2018 in Perth

Perth is the world's most isolated city, and is interestingly closer to Jakarta than to Sydney. British colonists came to Perth in 1829 and convicts arrived in 1850 to start building out the colony. Gold brought prospectors in the 1890s, bringing together Victorian architecture. My desire to visit was drawn by its opposite season during the Northern hot summer, cheap flights, and sheer remoteness.

[i]More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/perth.htm

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 3:36 PM

Perth fascinates me, partly because it's the furthest major city from my city (Atlanta). I don't know if I will ever travel that far to visit it, but it looks like a really cool place!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 4:10 AM

This time not harsh not sarcastic but serious. To firmly believe the urban planning authority or whatever the shit bureau is, playing a blind role with full ignorance and total negligence that allowing one of the ugliest office buildings - the bhp biliton tower to destroy the only decent urban skyline in west part of Australia.

The lost of public responsibility.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecolley View Post
Perth fascinates me, partly because it's the furthest major city from my city (Atlanta). I don't know if I will ever travel that far to visit it, but it looks like a really cool place!
I understand, totally. Even when I was in Sydney, I never planned to visit Perth because it is too darn far. I'd rather go to Atlanta with a few hours added.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 12:43 PM
Illustrator, editor

Great pictures! Perth looks quite much like some larger Californian city. Perth is the world's most isolated BIG city, but I think there are smaller cities that are more isolated (for example in Russia, Norway and Canada).

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 1:06 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
I never could make a go of it whenever I tried to base my airline in Perth in Aerobiz: Supersonic... but oh, how I tried.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 3:58 PM
Hong Kong

East Perth is a desirable residential area whose population is expected to rapidly increase 60% in the next 20 years.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/perth.htm

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 4:41 PM
Hong Kong

Just across the bridge from the Green CAT bus terminus is Leederville, one of the city's popular cafe and shopping strips. I wasn't there to eat or shop though, but to see the various murals on many buildings.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 8:01 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Thanks for this!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
Great pictures! Perth looks quite much like some larger Californian city. Perth is the world's most isolated BIG city, but I think there are smaller cities that are more isolated (for example in Russia, Norway and Canada).
That seems false to me; how can Perth be the world's most isolated big city when Sydney is on the opposite Australian coast, and has way more people than Perth?

I would think Honolulu is the most isolated big city on earth; there are no big cities near it for thousands of miles. In fact I thought I read somewhere that Hawaii is the most isolated population center on earth.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 9:50 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
This time not harsh not sarcastic but serious. To firmly believe the urban planning authority or whatever the shit bureau is, playing a blind role with full ignorance and total negligence that allowing one of the ugliest office buildings - the bhp biliton tower to destroy the only decent urban skyline in west part of Australia.

The lost of public responsibility.
I quite like that tower. These sorts of things are entirely subjective, you realize.

Anyway, great shots, thank you! Perth looks beautiful, and at least to my eye, seems to be a step above Brisbane and Adelaide when it comes to street level vibrancy.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
While not necessarily a city, the village of Edinburgh of the Seven Seas, located in the British overseas territory of St. Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, is considered the most isolated permanent settlement on earth. The nearest other human settlement is 1350 miles away, there's no airports, and its a 6 day trip by boat to the nearest mainland community in South Africa.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
While not necessarily a city, the village of Edinburgh of the Seven Seas, located in the British overseas territory of St. Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, is considered the most isolated permanent settlement on earth. The nearest other human settlement is 1350 miles away, there's no airports, and its a 6 day trip by boat to the nearest mainland community in South Africa.
Interesting...

But I did look it up, and I guess it's how one defines it, but Hawaii is the most isolated center of population in the world, being 2,390 miles from California and 3,850 miles from Japan.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
Ah ouais... I'd never heard of these British isles in the South Atlantic.

This city must be a bit special, however, because it's so remote from others in their country.

I don't even really know what it feels like to be lost in a middle of nowhere, quite frankly, because the overall European density has nothing to do with theirs.
They just must heavily rely on air travel and huge trucks to bring stuff up to them, if they don't have any reliable railways yet.
It's a bit of a cliché, but I think they've got the longest real heavy trucks ever seen over there...
Ha ha, yeah. I just googled it. They have the real Mad Max road trains. American trucks look like midgets compared to theirs.

It doesn't bad anyway. The place seems interesting and is definitely a bold settlement.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:10 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

cool to see perth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Interesting...

But I did look it up, and I guess it's how one defines it, but Hawaii is the most isolated center of population in the world, being 2,390 miles from California and 3,850 miles from Japan.

hanga roa, easter island's only town, is pretty far out there too.

Easter Island is one of the most remote inhabited islands in the world. The nearest inhabited land (around 50 residents in 2013) is Pitcairn Island, 2,075 kilometres (1,289 mi) away; the nearest town with a population over 500 is Rikitea, on the island of Mangareva, 2,606 km (1,619 mi) away; the nearest continental point lies in central Chile, 3,512 kilometres (2,182 mi) away.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=229905

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 3:57 PM
Hong Kong

Luckily, I came to Fremantle Prison as a visitor, and not a criminal.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 2:37 AM

“Perth is the world's most isolated city, and is interestingly closer to Jakarta than to Sydney”

Interestingly Chicago is closer to Toronto than to LA, and Seattle is closer to Vancouver than to NYC...it ain't make them being called isolated....

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 6:31 AM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
“Perth is the world's most isolated city, and is interestingly closer to Jakarta than to Sydney”

Interestingly Chicago is closer to Toronto than to LA, and Seattle is closer to Vancouver than to NYC...it ain't make them being called isolated....
There are plenty of other large cities around Chicago and Seattle but not Perth.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos