HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

270 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 8:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
I can't wait for the official announcements. One dude on Twitter is sure to lose his mind. He was applauding the demo, banging on about "boldness". Well, looks like he's gonna be disappointed.
We wait and see!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 12:04 PM
BANNED

Supposedly, the design will be released this summer. Anyway, the current massing diagrams will be available on the DOB website when the NB Proposal has been approved. It should be reasonably detailed.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
This was the headquarters. Here's what it looked like back in the "old" days.

Still doesn't make sense that they would want to go bigger. The whole reasoning behind the approvals process was so they could build the shorter tower. It only makes sense that the size (in square ft) is what is behind the drive for the larger tower (as opposed to the original).
This is just what a friend of mine told me, could I be missing details or mixing up what they said yes, could they also be full of shit and just passing along hearsay, also a definitely possibility. But i do know they are close to the project from the location strategy side of things.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parzival718 View Post
This is just what a friend of mine told me, could I be missing details or mixing up what they said yes, could they also be full of shit and just passing along hearsay, also a definitely possibility. But i do know they are close to the project from the location strategy side of things.
I'm not doubting what you heard, it's good info, just think some of it is a bit off.

I actually worked for JPM eons ago when they were HQ at 60 Wall (they stayed at 60 Wall for a year after the Chase merger), and even then (early 2000s), they were moving pretty much everyone who wasn't a banker or trader outside of Manhattan. Costs are too high for back office in Manhattan.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 4:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
I can't wait for the official announcements. One dude on Twitter is sure to lose his mind. He was applauding the demo, banging on about "boldness". Well, looks like he's gonna be disappointed.
How so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parzival718 View Post
That's why you never take details on word of mouth. Things are bound to get mixed up or confused. All I need is a simple rendering thay my eyes can see. My mind will do the rest.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 7:08 AM
Crane Goddess

That dude going on about boldness was all about height, he felt Chase should have the tallest tower they could possibly put up- 15, 1600 feet, the taller the better. He's gonna be disappointed AF that they decided to go shorter, considering it a cop-out.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 3:54 AM

This sucker is going to be at most 50 feet short of 432 Park Avenue and it’ll have four times it’s bulk. It’s going to be a massive presence on the skyline. Think 1WTC without the spire. Only more oblong than square.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 4:40 AM

someone somewhere said preliminary filings aren't always the exact height, so maybe it could be taller?

Imagine the presence this thing would have at 1500 ft with 2-300 ft of crown.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 11:25 AM
BANNED

It will be huge. We know that it's at least 1,325', which is gigantic. We also know that the materials will be extraordinary. Unfortunately, the design is not going to be iconic like 350 Park or 1 Vanderbilt.

We know from the information provided to the DOB that it will have approximately four setbacks. Hopefully, there will be some sort of crown. Also, it appears that unlike 50 HY, it may have some of Foster's signature bracing.

Last edited by JMKeynes; Jul 27, 2019 at 12:48 PM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 5:54 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

CTBUH now has this listed at 1,341 ft and 57 floors. Updated on their development lists. But just for sake of positive news, even if at that height, it would be the 7th tallest in the city as Tower Fifth is happening.

Still positive, but we shall see what happens. A lot can happen in a short amount of period. Possibly we could be surprised come beginning of Q4.

We shall see about 350 Park Avenue @ 1,450 ft of that comes to fruition.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 4:12 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
None of this makes any sense. There is no difference in engineering a 1,400 vs. 1,500 ft. building, the size of the building hasn't changed (the shorter version was the same size as the taller one), Chase doesn't have non-core functions in Manhattan (and hasn't for decades), and it wouldn't make any sense to move core employees to, say, Plano, when they're already subleasing empty space locally.
What makes you say there's no difference? After a certain point costs increase dramatically with height. Regardless you'd think a bank worth ~300+ billion could at least build the tallest building in the vicinity, it's possible neighboring towers like 432 or 1 Vand would still have an edge in terms of height, unless they add a nice crown.

On another note, I wonder if this tower will have a massive "CHASE" logo atop? Like some of their other buildings.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 4:17 PM

^^ Probably just the logo. Like their Dallas Tower.

CTBUH

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 6:47 PM
BANNED

While this tower won't be iconic like Verre, Steinway, or 1 Vandy, it will be pretty magnificent. It will have some setbacks, amazing materials, and it will be about 1,350'. Any city would kill to have it.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 6:57 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
While this tower won't be iconic like Verre, Steinway, or 1 Vandy, it will be pretty magnificent. It will have some setbacks, amazing materials, and it will be about 1,350'. Any city would kill to have it.
Have you seen some rendering or some newer mass models/material details?

Your tone on the tower has changed for the better.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 7:06 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt19215 View Post
someone somewhere said preliminary filings aren't always the exact height, so maybe it could be taller?
Preliminary findings aren't always the exact height, but they generally give an idea of the height. In many cases, like the Hudson Yards for example, preliminary filings are usually much smaller as they anticipate the transfer of development rights. The filing here is pretty much the full tower in terms of filing, but you generally don't get the exact height in most cases. Take a look at the NB permit from which the height comes for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
CTBUH now has this listed at 1,341 ft and 57 floors.

That comes from the building permit we mentioned before. Note the buiolding height and the perimeter wall height. I always took the perimeter wall height to be the height of the highest occupied floor, but I don't know exactly.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I think that this is going to be a lame tower (i.e., a 1322' version of 50 HY).
This.

i hope the design is kewl.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 8:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Have you seen some rendering or some newer mass models/material details?

Your tone on the tower has changed for the better.
Hi, Chris.

I haven’t. I believe, based upon the DOB documents, that it will have at least four setbacks. It should be pretty nice.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 12:13 AM
BANNED

Expect some kind of pinstripe-suit style building with minimal flair, that's what I have pictured in my mind. It's a conservative banking corporation in an area mostly surrounded by boring boxy buildings. I don't expect something incredibly beautiful or cutting-edge.

Last edited by urbanview; Jul 30, 2019 at 12:48 AM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 3:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Rebirth of Park Avenue...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0gDh4mgBNQ/

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 11:49 PM
BANNED

Now just demolish another handful of ugly boxy 60's blocks and build something a human would enjoy working in, thanks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction