HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 2:00 AM

Looks like they might be building a public viewing platform between these two historic Hydro buildings.

[IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Looks like they are building another viewing platform between two heritage buildings they are restoring. Sweet.

This place a year ago: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D9TUv2tXUAcXjVM.jpg
[/IMG]

Last year:

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 8:00 PM
ARTchitecture

Another large park in Calgary getting a major refresh, and also upgrades to restore biodiversity to the Elbow River (fish spawning and river otter habitat). The construction also involved restoring the south channel of the river which was blocked in the 2013 flood, and creating a new channel through the island (part of the habitat creation). They are also deepening the north channel of the river to help for rafters on the Elbow.

Elbow Island Park - The Wandering Island

By me

By me

By me

By 1875 on SRC

Along with the island restoration, there will be a new flood resistant staircase, and benches, seating, and a bridge designed by local artists.

Another cool lil gem of a project is Flyover Park...

By SurrealPlaces on SRC

By OutOfTheOffice on SRC

By OutOfTheOffice on SRC

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 11:07 PM

Why is it that Calgary is allowed to sculpt the river whatever way they want while Edmonton has to get permission from the federal government to do anything with the North Saskatchewan river? Edmonton can't even build a bridge over the river without doing a whole bunch of environmental studies.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 3:52 AM

Has anyone got any pics of the completed Dundas Place Flex Street in London and the Rail Bridge Park in St.Thomas?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Why is it that Calgary is allowed to sculpt the river whatever way they want while Edmonton has to get permission from the federal government to do anything with the North Saskatchewan river? Edmonton can't even build a bridge over the river without doing a whole bunch of environmental studies.
Every project has environmental studies required. The main difference is the North Saskatchewan River is considered "navigable" and therefore under federal jurisdiction.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 4:08 AM

Edmonton released its plan to pedestrianize and activate some back lanes around Whyte Avenue!

https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...ck-street.aspx

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 1:49 PM

This was unveiled a few weeks back. Oxford Group installed it to complete the Richmond and Adelaide Centre makeover. Sculpted by Spanish sculptor Jaume Plensa, the same guy who did the wire head in front of the BOW.

Dreaming by A Great Capture, on Flickr

Capturing The Dream by A Great Capture, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 3:49 PM

/\ That creeps me out for some reason.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 4:22 PM

I believe that is one of the intended reactions.

Isn’t there another one of these in Liverpool?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
Every project has environmental studies required. The main difference is the North Saskatchewan River is considered "navigable" and therefore under federal jurisdiction.
Are you sure that matters? I think any river that crosses provincial boundaries (every watershed in AB and SK) can be subject to a federal review. The Springbank Dam had to go through a review as did the Oldman Dam back in the 90’s. Habitat restoration likely receives less opposition and therefore less scrutiny.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 1:31 PM

Long existing bridge (100+ years) between War Museum and Zibi that will, for the first time, open to the public in Spring 2021 along with a park currently being developed at the tip of Chaudière Island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
It's a decent public space with nice sunset views, benches and functioning street lamps.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 3:37 AM
ARTchitecture

So this came out of nowhere, none of us in the community had any idea! So cool though, it's a massive (two blocks) temporary park on top of the largest parking garage in the country, total area is about 2 acres. It's gonna be open until next autumn and then the city will decide whether to make it a permanent public space...

High Park Beltline - Just opened today...

https://twitter.com/yycbeltline/stat...281537/photo/1

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 3:43 AM

^ Cool idea, and nice to see. Parkade rooftops can be really well suited to that type of use.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 3:47 AM
ARTchitecture

Me too. I'm floored at how "out of nowhere" this came from. Once it becomes permanent, it'll be awesome when they install most of the surface with fake grass, put in some trees, and hopefully an urban beach... couldn't be a more perfect, flood-proof space to drop a million dollars worth of sand.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 3:58 AM

All it's missing is a Live, Laugh, Love sign

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 1:13 PM
sick transit, gloria

The parking garage park is very cool - are they planning on activating the space with things like public events or food stalls? It looks like it could also be a great place for something like a small container market.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 3:04 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

That's a great idea, and perfect location to do that kinda thing. Hopefully it's made permanent and a proper park will replace the tacky signs.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
So this came out of nowhere, none of us in the community had any idea! So cool though, it's a massive (two blocks) temporary park on top of the largest parking garage in the country, total area is about 2 acres.

High Park Beltline - Just opened today...

Cool idea, and I don't want to turn this into a CITY VS CITY thing but I was under the impression that the West Edmonton Mall had the largest parking lot in the world, and if we are talking purely multi story parking that Pearson Airport is the largest in Canada.

I'm curious how large the Calgary lot is. Just about each list I can find has the same cities and lots ranked as follows.

1 West Edmonton Mall 20,000
2 Seattle Sea-Tac Airport 13,000
3 Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, McNamara Terminal 11,500
4 Disney World, Magic Kingdom and Epcot Lots 11,000
5 Universal Studios, South Facility 10,200
6 Disneyland’s Mickey and Friends Parking Structure 10,000
7 Chicago O’Hare Airport, Main parking garage 9,266
8 Toronto Lester B. Pearson International Airport, Terminal 1 parking structure 9,000
9 Baltimore-Washington International Airport, Daily Parking Garage 8,400
10 Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, Terminal D Parking Garage 8,100

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 4:07 PM
Khan

^ I have no idea about where the Calgary garage would rank in Canada, but I believe the above list is "parking lots" and therefore includes surface parking, parking structures or a combination thereof.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 4:26 PM

I thought that might be the case as well but that list and all the others I could find state the parking types and structures. I'm just curious about the actual size of the Calgary lot. Anytime somebody says the "largest" or "tallest" or "oldest" etc it makes me curious to see what's under it in a list. So for Toronto it says Parking Structure and I do recall when it was built it claimed to be the largest in the land.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada