HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 4:13 PM

Another new trail. This underpass was constructed as part of the Draper Extension in 2013, but sealed up because money for the trail wasn't there. But now the trail is built, and I'm eager to go check it out!

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...-dedicate-new/

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 6:59 PM

It's great how many trails and trail connections have been added to the greater metro these past few years. Makes perfect sense, given the beautiful setting of the Wasatch Front.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 7:45 PM

Also, if any of you are sentimental about the TRAX airport station, you better go visit it TODAY. Today (Friday, September 11, 2020) is the last day it will be in operation. Tomorrow they will close it permanently. There will be no direct TRAX service to the airport until the new TRAX station is complete, whenever that is.

https://www.abc4.com/news/utah-trans...w-slc-airport/

For the next year or so, you must ride TRAX to the 1940 west station then board the airport shuttle bus, or visa versa.
It will be interesting to see how the airport line is operated, since there is no crossover directly east of 1940 West. I suppose the trains could run through the station and use the cross over about a half mile to the west. I suspect they will instead have trains running in both directions on both tracks down North Temple. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 9:39 PM

Why was UTA not in the process of building the new Trax station a year ago? It's not like they didn't know this was coming. Was there a logistical issue or is it more to do with the fact that UTA sucks?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Why was UTA not in the process of building the new Trax station a year ago? It's not like they didn't know this was coming. Was there a logistical issue or is it more to do with the fact that UTA sucks?
The future TRAX station is located smack dab in the middle of the current airport roadway that can't be blocked and it is directly adjacent to the existing parking garage that won't start demolition until next week. They have done all they can but have to wait unfortunately.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 10:08 PM

Gotcha. Glad to know there's a legit reason. I remember reading years back that the airport had given up trying to integrate UTA into their construction plans. This was back when the thought was that train would run right into the main building.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 10:46 PM

For reference, here is a picture from May, posted on the airport thread in July, showing the new TRAX platform under construction:

(It is very big)

Despite all the hullabaloo about the design being changed and the Delta changing state law so that the piddling amount of money it would have cost to run TRAX straight into the parking garage - - - despite that, I'm actually pretty happy where the TRAX station turned out. It will be between the cars drop off/pick up area and the terminal itself. Before it would have been very prominent, but would also have been farther from the terminal. As long as there is a cannopy over the whole platform and a covered connection to the airport, it will basically be like being inside anyway, so very little luxury will be lost. It's going to be a long inconvenient year having to use a bus bridge, but hey, at least airport traffic is significantly lower now, so there is probably no better time for this to happen.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 12:27 AM

Ah, it makes much more sense now. From that photo, it looks like they'll need to wait on the full demotion of the old parking garage before they can connect to the current rail.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
For the next year or so, you must ride TRAX to the 1940 west station then board the airport shuttle bus, or visa versa.
It will be interesting to see how the airport line is operated, since there is no crossover directly east of 1940 West. I suppose the trains could run through the station and use the cross over about a half mile to the west. I suspect they will instead have trains running in both directions on both tracks down North Temple. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.
Loading and unloading at the 1940 West Station was only for a few days. They've constructed a temporary station at the airport that goes into operation on Tuesday, when the new terminal opens. Where exactly the temporary station is, I don't know, but you'll still have to use a shuttle to get to and from the terminal. The dumb thing is you won't be able to purchase a pass at the temporary station, you'll have to get off at 1940 West and purchase a pass at the machine and then wait for the next train or use the app. Sounds difficult for visitors.
https://rideuta.com/Rider-Info/Construction-Projects

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joscar View Post
Loading and unloading at the 1940 West Station was only for a few days. They've constructed a temporary station at the airport that goes into operation on Tuesday, when the new terminal opens. Where exactly the temporary station is, I don't know, but you'll still have to use a shuttle to get to and from the terminal. The dumb thing is you won't be able to purchase a pass at the temporary station, you'll have to get off at 1940 West and purchase a pass at the machine and then wait for the next train or use the app. Sounds difficult for visitors.
https://rideuta.com/Rider-Info/Construction-Projects
I dropped my sister-in-law off at the airport this morning- it looked like the temporary station was being built here-ish:

https://imgur.com/a/Wg4y3wn

From what I could tell driving by, it looked like it was being built entirely of plywood, so it's going to be a very temporary-looking thing.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 6:21 PM

^^^
Thanks for the map! Putting the station on that siding there would make the most sense, based on the way the catenary cables are sectioned.
That's a pretty weird ticketing situation though. I hope that gets fixed ASAP.
Or just make the whole thing free to use. Wouldn't bother me none.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 3:28 AM

Not sure if this is better here or in the Ogden thread, but it looks like the Ogden BRT is expected to begin construction very soon.

https://www.standard.net/news/transp...a33f29a9e.html

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 4:12 PM
Space Magi

Ogden is also pushing for a FrontRunner extension to the Business Depot

https://www.standard.net/news/transp...4e16fb28d.html

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 5:36 PM
One Thing At A Time

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 6:17 PM

Well that article is a bit of a discombobulated mess.

1) The Ogden BRT is not 'under consideration,' it is fully in final design and will start construction soon.

2) Interesting that the Davis County line is still considering BRT. Due to the length of the project, and considering the roads it will need to use, it will almost certainly be an 'enhanced bus service'. Probably start at the U, go down 200 South to downtown, then turn up at 300 West or 400 West and follow state routes up into Davis County. I like improved bus service. A high frequency bus service with descent stops and a special brand of its own is 80% as good as BRT (imo).

3) Paragraph 7 - a new bus service between Orem and Provo FrontRunner stations? Does the reporter mean the UVX service that has been open for 2 years?

4) Paragraph 8 immediately switches subjects without telling anyone, because the 400 West being discussed is in Salt Lake City, not Provo.

5) Then they talk about the study around the Point of the Mountain, which we have discussed here before.

6) FrontRunner to Payson is probably going to happen sometime in the next decade or two. FrontRunner to Santaquin, probably not. UTA doesn't have the ROW, the town is too small, and the distance from Payson is not great enough to justify a commuter rail extension. At least not until the Nephi area begins to get covered in commuter sprawl.

7) Double tracking the FrontRunner. This needs to be the #1 construction priority for UDOT/UTA at the moment, IMO. But unfortunately it sounds like they are still working on 'strategic double track,' aka lengthening sidings instead of connecting station pairs with a second track. I get so depressed reading about this 'strategic' plan. What wasted potential.

8) I dislike the idea of extending the Red line from Daybreak east to connect with FrontRunner. There is no rail ROW, and there is hardly the ridership to justify such a hugely expensive decision. Get a decent bus going along that route - maybe even a BRT with dedicated lanes! - and then, if that isn't enough, THEN you can bring up LRT. Not before.

Overall, this is the classic problem UTA and Salt Lake City have had ever since I've started paying attention, at least. There is no master plan. There are many good pieces in place, but each additional piece has been basically aimed at solving its own little problem without seeing a grander vision. This was an essential means of getting big transit projects started in an area with middling transit, since nobody would get onboard a enormous grand plan with a huge price tag at the very beginning. But this needs to change. We have a pretty good transit network now, so its time to stop looking case-by-case and time to start thinking of how each node ties into a grand plan. Hopefully UTA is doing some of this behind the scenes but.... with press releases like this, I tend to doubt it.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 7:40 PM

Hatman,

I do agree with the information you laid out.

With this:
Quote:
2) Interesting that the Davis County line is still considering BRT. Due to the length of the project, and considering the roads it will need to use, it will almost certainly be an 'enhanced bus service'. Probably start at the U, go down 200 South to downtown, then turn up at 300 West or 400 West and follow state routes up into Davis County. I like improved bus service. A high frequency bus service with descent stops and a special brand of its own is 80% as good as BRT (imo).
I do hope that SLC works with UTA and builds it along 4th West and SLC helps pay for center running lanes - BRT style between North Temple and the 3rd West merge. This will help keep the buses running smoothly and the infrastructure would be in place for a future upgrade from Enhanced Bus to BRT. I don't see UDoT allowing this type of infrastructure along 3rd West, plus with the housing along 4th, this would continue to encourage the increased density that has been taking place.

Quote:
5) Then they talk about the study around the Point of the Mountain, which we have discussed here before.
I have heard that we will eventually be getting both the East and West alignment. East first to fulfill the States obligation to Adobe and the West as that will most likely be announced as the local preferred alternative.

Quote:
7) Double tracking the FrontRunner. This needs to be the #1 construction priority for UDOT/UTA at the moment, IMO. But unfortunately it sounds like they are still working on 'strategic double track,' aka lengthening sidings instead of connecting station pairs with a second track. I get so depressed reading about this 'strategic' plan. What wasted potential.
I think we all agree with this. It needs to happen completely before any extension is begun. This is key to not only lowering traffic congestion on I-15 but also to helping to clean the air.

Quote:
8) I dislike the idea of extending the Red line from Daybreak east to connect with FrontRunner. There is no rail ROW, and there is hardly the ridership to justify such a hugely expensive decision. Get a decent bus going along that route - maybe even a BRT with dedicated lanes! - and then, if that isn't enough, THEN you can bring up LRT. Not before.
I am not a fan of the 126th South alignment that the State has been pushing for extending the Red line east. I would prefer a dedicated ROW if they want this to connect to the prison redevelopment area. Otherwise, I would prefer that the Red line be extended into Saratoga Springs and follow a new ROW next to Pioneer Crossing in Lehi. It can connect to the Blue Line extension in American Fork. The Red Line could even have a stop at American Fork frontRunner station.

They could even just have both the Blue and Red lines loop here rather than having stubbed ends. While this is more expensive, I think that ridership and the redevelopment possibilities are better while also allowing for faster train speeds.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I am not a fan of the 126th South alignment that the State has been pushing for extending the Red line east. I would prefer a dedicated ROW if they want this to connect to the prison redevelopment area. Otherwise, I would prefer that the Red line be extended into Saratoga Springs and follow a new ROW next to Pioneer Crossing in Lehi. It can connect to the Blue Line extension in American Fork. The Red Line could even have a stop at American Fork frontRunner station.

They could even just have both the Blue and Red lines loop here rather than having stubbed ends. While this is more expensive, I think that ridership and the redevelopment possibilities are better while also allowing for faster train speeds.
It doesn't make any sense to send the train further to serve half as many people as are in SW SLCO.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 3:28 PM

UTA unveils 5-year service plan — envisioning a ‘core route network’ with service every 15 minutes

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...-year-service/

Quote:
After some reworking forced by the pandemic, the Utah Transit Authority is giving a first peek at its vision for what bus and rail service should look like over the next five years.

The agency unveiled to the UTA Board some highlights of its first five-year service plan, which the Utah Legislature required the agency to develop and update regularly when it restructured UTA in 2018 after a series of scandals.

The new plan includes developing a “core route network,” where service is so frequent and regular that passengers will not need to look at schedules. It foresees more all-day service, rather than morning and evening peaks service. It also outlines major service changes and projects by county.

But don’t expect any major changes next year because of COVID-19. UTA has already said it plans to keep service at 91% of its pre-pandemic levels.

“We are focusing in 2021 on stabilization of our system,” said UTA Planning Director Laura Hanson. “We’re waiting for our financial resources to stabilize, our labor resources to stabilize. So, we’re being very cautious. The worst thing possible would be to put service on the ground and then realize that we didn’t have the ability to keep it going.”
Quote:
...In Salt Lake County, that includes:

• Improving service on the west side of the county, with new connections to Salt Lake City International Airport and the inland port via 3600 West, 5600 West and 3100 South.

• Adjusting local bus routes to prepare for the future bus rapid transit projects, including the Midvalley Connector bus rapid transit project in West Valley City, Taylorsville and Murray, and one to connect south Davis County with downtown Salt Lake City.

• Improve connections between Tooele and Salt Lake counties.

• Improve transit connections in the Rose Park and Glendale areas of Salt Lake City.

• Improve connections between FrontRunner to the University of Utah and Research Park.

• Continue and possibly expand UTA’s experimental on-demand “microtransit” service in southern Salt Lake County with vans that are a hybrid between Uber and traditional bus service. That service may also expand that into Tooele County.

In Utah County, the plan envisions:

• Opening a new FrontRunner station in Vineyard and adjusting local bus service to connect to it.

• Consider using microtransit or other innovations in west Provo and Thanksgiving Point to provide better coverage and replace some bus routes with few riders.

In Weber, Davis and Box Elder counties, the plan suggests:

• Finishing a new bus rapid transit system between downtown Ogden and Weber State University and building a new transit hub at WSU’s Dee Events Center.

• Adding 15-minute bus service on State Street between Farmington and Ogden.

• Considering microtransit or other innovations in north Weber County and south Davis County to provide better all-day coverage and replace routes with few riders.

• Continuing to acquire right-of-way in Box Elder County to possibly extend FrontRunner train service there.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 10:06 PM

The final draft of the Rio Grande Plan is ready:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e2Z...ew?usp=sharing (PDF Warning)

Share and enjoy - and if you see anything glaringly and obviously wrong or awful, please let me know so that I can fix it before I sent it to important people.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
The final draft of the Rio Grande Plan is ready:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e2Z...ew?usp=sharing (PDF Warning)

Share and enjoy - and if you see anything glaringly and obviously wrong or awful, please let me know so that I can fix it before I sent it to important people.
Overall I think the plan is a solid talking point, far from flushed out. I hope people take it seriously.

A question I do have is what is the plan for utilities in and crossing the street where the train box will be? I feel that will cut off development to the new acreage opened up on the west.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West