HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
I have to agree..... was this intentional to make it look older? Not well done at all!
I think it's exaggerated by the accent lighting. If you shine a light along any surface with the light source close to the surface, the resultant shadows will exaggerate any surface imperfections.

The daylight photos do not readily show this tendency, though admittedly I haven't seen it in person.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 2:59 PM

I've noticed this on other buildings, new and old, when illuminated by very bright light coming from one direction only. I don't think it necessarily indicates poor workmanship--it's just pretty much impossible to make brick 100 percent flush.

My question with the appearance of this building is why they didn't clad it with some sort of brick veneer or something all the way to the top. It looks unfinished as it is. The proportions of the building are good, the street interaction is good, and I even like the little balconies. But that pale beige precast, or whatever it is, just looks naked, somehow. Lots of other buildings are guilty of this, including 1920 Brunswick and the condo tower win the Hydrostone with the Starbucks in it.

It cheapens the overall appearance of the neighbourhoods.

Last edited by Drybrain; Dec 16, 2015 at 5:29 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 4:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I agree. Bare precast panels tend to be ugly. Small exposed surfaces are sometimes okay but large areas of bare concrete end up looking dull and cheap (and much worse than in renderings). 1920 Brunswick went through the Design Review Committee I think but this one wouldn't have. Here in Vancouver, this sort of design would be rejected.

There must be an affordable solution to this issue. Brick veneer could be one. I wonder if even paint would be an improvement in a lot of cases. I find many of the new buildings that are going up way too bland looking. There's a lot of beige and grey, and it doesn't fit in with Halifax's traditional architecture at all.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 5:35 PM

The problem with any bare concrete is that it stains rather quickly and then takes on a perpetually dirty look. Almost nobody wants to pay to have it cleaned on a regular basis, so it always looks like crap.

Even painting looks better, but it must be maintained. Have had experience with some tilt-ups in Burnside that started peeling paint almost from day one (probably a prep problem). Other buildings I've seen peeling really bad after only a few years, so really it's only a cheap solution from the standpoint of initial cost.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 9:26 PM

Amazing Space Interior has opened;

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 2:11 PM

100% complete including a new crosswalk!

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 5:27 PM

Turned out pretty decent with the wood accents:

Untitled by Hali87, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 5:29 PM

RE: Amazing Space Interiors - I recently moved to this area and I'm baffled by how many furniture stores there are within a 1km radius.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
RE: Amazing Space Interiors - I recently moved to this area and I'm baffled by how many furniture stores there are within a 1km radius.
When you add up the furniture stores, vintage furniture stores, and antique stores, it's really kind of boggling. The area is either a recognized destination for this stuff, or the clientele is quite dispersed and they're all a few bad sales months from going under.

It'll be interesting to see how IKEA affects all this.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth