HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
I have a real hunch that this will be T&T Supermarket, who have been looking to gain a foothold into Winnipeg's fast growing Asian market for a few years now.
Nail in Chinatown's coffin, I wonder?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 3:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanscott View Post
Nail in Chinatown's coffin, I wonder?
That is what they were predicting for Edmonton's and Ottawa's Chinatown when T&T came to down, but yet they are still very much thriving. Chances are the Chinese community itself will be the deciding factor in the survival of Chinatown.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 10:35 PM
GQMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmC View Post
If you like Lucky, you're gonna be blown away by T&T. I really hope it is T&T. Their bakery section alone will be worth a weekend trip every week!
The bakery section is the only reason why my family goes to T&T. So delish'

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 10:42 PM

they cater to all people though you can buy ragu and lays along side the asian brands - the meat i find really good as they have better portions for people like me who have to only cook for one

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 1:21 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

china town died because of the soup kitchens near by...........

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
Care to explain? Like do you mean that the soup kitchens attracted the homeless to the area which drove people from other parts of the city away from China Town killing the businesses there?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 5:11 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
Care to explain? Like do you mean that the soup kitchens attracted the homeless to the area which drove people from other parts of the city away from China Town killing the businesses there?
its been a major factor the last while though the masive fire in 99 didn't help either but still

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 1:50 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
A friend of mine went to a great deal of expense to move his business out of the area because of Siloam Mission. The area is thick with bums all day.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 5:39 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
A friend of mine went to a great deal of expense to move his business out of the area because of Siloam Mission. The area is thick with bums all day.
siloan is a public safty issue with people constantly jaywalking there and wondering into traffic it was a dumb location

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 5:44 PM
BANNED

ANYWAYS.................let's keep this thread on track, okay?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
siloan is a public safty issue with people constantly jaywalking there and wondering into traffic it was a dumb location
What location would you suggest? One that isn't on a road, to prevent jaywalking?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 4:07 PM
I am a typical

Our main soup kitchen is accessed from a back alley, and with the exception of the side street that it is on, the people using it don't jaywalk. When they go to sleep in the park nearby, they cross at the intersection.

The main one in the north end is beside a church, quite deep into its giant city block, so they're nowhere near the street either. And the one in my area (actually the place where the soupvan parks) is near a crosswalk, so no jaywalking there either.

It isn't that hard to put thought into where you're putting something.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 6:27 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

theres 2 soup kitchens next 2 each other... u get a fair sized line up of people who go acros the street and stand in the milde of the road at certan times of the day
http://www.google.ca/maps?ie=UTF8&ll...12,215.76,,0,5

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 6:40 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

What is this thread supposed to be about guys?

Start a new thread if you want to bitch about social agencies.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 10:00 PM
BANNED

I'm going to repeat myself as I'm tired of Winnipeg threads getting sidetracked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
ANYWAYS.................let's keep this thread on track, okay?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2010, 4:06 AM

Hey so are there any cell-phone geeks here on the forum? Because right now I'm curious as to why Telus has a terrible selection of phones (their website has like 3 smart phones, all outdated and about seven 'normal' phones, which is a terrible selection compared to any other province that has telus service) and what's going with MTS and getting a network up that can support iPhone? I'm not really an apple fan, but I do like the iPhone but I don't want to switch over to Rogers.

So as I consider what my next phone will be, it seems that Manitoba gets left behind in the dust when it comes to the latest developments in cell-phone tech. Perhaps I'm wrong and I just haven't looked around enough, but maybe there is someone here that could tell me a little more on the state of the cell-phone market here in Manitoba?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2010, 4:36 AM

I think telus will begin to sell the smart phones when they get all their rural towers in Manitoba up and running for data service, or so I have heard from a telus rep. BTW, I have a Telus smart phone. Data service available only in and around Winnipeg. Nothing once past Stoney Mountain, which sucks.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2010, 5:04 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
Hey so are there any cell-phone geeks here on the forum? Because right now I'm curious as to why Telus has a terrible selection of phones (their website has like 3 smart phones, all outdated and about seven 'normal' phones, which is a terrible selection compared to any other province that has telus service) and what's going with MTS and getting a network up that can support iPhone? I'm not really an apple fan, but I do like the iPhone but I don't want to switch over to Rogers.

So as I consider what my next phone will be, it seems that Manitoba gets left behind in the dust when it comes to the latest developments in cell-phone tech. Perhaps I'm wrong and I just haven't looked around enough, but maybe there is someone here that could tell me a little more on the state of the cell-phone market here in Manitoba?
You'd have to be a fool to go with Telus in Manitoba. Their 3G coverage is complete crap and not expected to get better in the forseable future. Rogers and MTS are sharing their towers and sharing the cost of upgrading, so you'll be able to use Rogers compatible (but not locked to rogers) GSM 3.5G phones with MTS some time next year for MTS, probably sooner with Rogers. As for phone selection, I dunno, hopefully in the next few months Rogers will have some better phones out there. MTS won't have anything good until they're set with their towers. My rogers contract doesn't expire until february and I'm planning to go month to month until I see what sort of data tethering plan MTS is going to offer. Really, just tough it out with a crap phone for 6 months. Telus is crap in MB, and so is Bell for the most part so far.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2010, 5:09 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
I think telus will begin to sell the smart phones when they get all their rural towers in Manitoba up and running for data service, or so I have heard from a telus rep. BTW, I have a Telus smart phone. Data service available only in and around Winnipeg. Nothing once past Stoney Mountain, which sucks.
Yeah thats not happening any time soon. Telus plan is to beg the CRTC or industry canada or somebody to use MTS's towers for free. Good luck with that. Bell, who owns Virgin mobile, doesn't even sell its HSDPA phones in Manitoba. Bell and Telus are both in it together and I guess they don't have any real motivation to build up their network here.

MTS will be using rogers network for roaming. Hopefully they get it up and running soon cause I wouldn't mind supporting them now that they're going to be using phones where you can swap sim chips. I don't want to lock myself into rogers for another 3 years with their paltry 500mb data offerings.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2010, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
You'd have to be a fool to go with Telus in Manitoba. Their 3G coverage is complete crap and not expected to get better in the forseable future. Rogers and MTS are sharing their towers and sharing the cost of upgrading, so you'll be able to use Rogers compatible (but not locked to rogers) GSM 3.5G phones with MTS some time next year for MTS, probably sooner with Rogers. As for phone selection, I dunno, hopefully in the next few months Rogers will have some better phones out there. MTS won't have anything good until they're set with their towers. My rogers contract doesn't expire until february and I'm planning to go month to month until I see what sort of data tethering plan MTS is going to offer. Really, just tough it out with a crap phone for 6 months. Telus is crap in MB, and so is Bell for the most part so far.
Yea I guess I'm a fool because I went with Telus about a year ago (lol) when I will admit that they had a good selction of phones. Although I love computers and tech stuff, I've never really caught onto the whole "smart phone" thing because going on the internet on my phone or getting email through it never seemed that appealing. Since I have a laptop where ever I go and a desktop at home, I've never been more than a few hours away from being able to check the things I need to on the internet, so the smart phone never really caught on with me. Just recently my brother got an iPhone 4 on rogers which seemed really nice, hence my recent interest. It's more of a luxury than anything for me, so if purchasing a nice phone would become a convenience for me sometime in the future, then maybe I would, but my contract only ends in two years.

But since my contract is two years from ending, I was thinking that if the iPhone (or even better a windows 7 based phone) came to telus I would upgrade or something, but heck, I don't pay much attention to the market developments, so I just thought I'd ask. But I guess when you only have a population of a million or so people, it won't be long before everyone has a phone and purchases on new phones and contracts will drop significantly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan