HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 4:01 PM
THAT Guy

Montrose and Honore TOD
Ground floor retail, 24 apartments, top floor office space

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 4:18 PM

^ Wow! I love it, that is perfect for the area! Although 6-8 stories would be even better. I'm glad it's not going to stay a community garden for the next 10 years.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 5:00 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Yeah, looks interesting. Given its location, of course agree that it should have 2x as many units at least. The top floor office space is an interesting aspect, and a bit strange. Don't see somthing like that too often.....

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 5:06 PM
North Beach Style

Nice proposal for a tricky parcel at the Montrose Brown Line. I'd like to see something similar at other CTA "remnant" properties such as the two adjacent to the Belmont red/brown/purple stop.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 5:36 PM
BANNED

hope they soundproof that well.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 6:03 PM

Also, next to the Roscoe brownline. It's kind of crazy the land has been vacant for what 8 years in booming Roscoe Village.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 6:10 PM

Looks like an upgrade to me, and a clever use of that tight opening.

Being near a stop isn't always as loud as being near the tracks.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallo View Post
Nice proposal for a tricky parcel at the Montrose Brown Line. I'd like to see something similar at other CTA "remnant" properties such as the two adjacent to the Belmont red/brown/purple stop.
The spots beside Belmont RBP won't be filled in until after the Clark junction flyover is built, as, IIRC, the CTA plans on using them for construction staging.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 11:42 PM

MDP from space

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 2:13 AM

Looks like there might be some movement with this project:

http://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/2...-campus-video/

Article in Crain's today:

Quote:
Hospital project seeks Emanuel administration's help acquiring land

The price of an ambitious plan to create a health care, retail and school campus on the Southwest Side that would include a new St. Anthony Hospital has soared to nearly $560 million as the nonprofit spearheading the project seeks to double its footprint.

Chicago Southwest Development Corp., created by St. Anthony's parent organization in 2012 to pursue the development, wants to buy a nearly 400,000-square-foot site at 32nd Street and Kedzie Avenue in the Little Village neighborhood. The land is near an 11-acre parcel already designated for the project that housed the former Washburne Trade School. Together, the two sites would provide 22 acres for the development, known as Focal Point.

The goal of the project is not only to replace the 116-year-old hospital, but also to embrace St. Anthony's evolving role as a provider of community services in an impoverished area.

But Chicago Southwest has been unable to acquire the additional site, the former home of Azteca Mall, and is asking the Emanuel administration to help, including potentially using its power of eminent domain.

'WE WANT TO BE RESPONSIBLE'

“We had put an offer in," but the counteroffer "was almost double” the original figure, said Chris Raguso, Chicago Southwest vice president. “We want to be responsible in the development, and we still need to make sure that we spend our dollars wisely.”

She declined to say how much Chicago Southwest offered to 3200 South Kedzie LLC, which owns the $4.4 million mortgage on the property, according to Cook County Circuit Court records. Attorneys representing 3200 South Kedzie and a representative for its manager, BD Kedzie Avenue LLC, did not return messages seeking comment.

Chicago Southwest took its case to the Community Development Commission, a public board that makes recommendations to the City Council about city-owned property in areas targeted for redevelopment. Earlier this month, the commission gave the green light for the Emanuel administration to acquire the Azteca Mall site.

Pending City Council approval, city officials could offer to pay the owner no less than its fair market value, according to a staff report for the Oct. 14 commission meeting. The city could use eminent domain to acquire the property if they can't reach a deal, the staff report said.

“Ideally these entities are going to resolve the land acquisition on their own and not require the city to take a direct role,” said Peter Strazzabosco, deputy commissioner of the Chicago Department of Planning and Development.

The city would then sell the land to Chicago Southwest. It's not clear how much the city would ask, but the Emanuel administration previously said it planned to sell the Washburne site, owned by Chicago Public Schools, for $1.
Municipalities generally like to make a deal with a property owner before using eminent domain, experts said. It saves both the owner and the municipality from having to go through a costly court process that could drag on for years.

“If they can settle with each other, that's going to get the project moving a whole lot faster,” said Daniel Mandelker, a professor of law at Washington University in St. Louis...
More Here: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...acquiring-land

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 4:34 AM

The parking garage is massive... but I kinda like it. A lot.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 4:49 AM

Ample parking at hospitals/medical centers is necessary and excusable in my book.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 5:17 AM

It's great that it's not surface lot parking either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Ample parking at hospitals/medical centers is necessary and excusable in my book.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 5:21 AM

I think the majority of that is a super ramp to access floors above the retail levels. Still about 900ish spaces which is a lot, but reasonable considering the main component is a hospital and parking is essential

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 2:15 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
The parking garage is massive... but I kinda like it. A lot.
Clearly none of you have looked at the latest renders, where more land is consumed and there is surface parking. It's a let down.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 2:27 PM

Oh come now, it's not that bad. The surface parking shown in the latest designs is really just on the additional parcels they are trying to aquire. If anything it looks like a placeholder for future expansions of this campus.

focalpointchicago.org

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 4:00 PM

omgomgomgomgomg

That parking lot in the south loop at State and Harrison through Balbo is sold!

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...ED03/141039969

The School of the Art Institute (SAIC) wants to make it a classroom/gallery thing. They could make it a god damn bowling alley for all I care, that lot is the last missing piece for a completely built-out State Street and a contiguous south loop.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
omgomgomgomgomg

That parking lot in the south loop at State and Harrison through Balbo is sold!

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...ED03/141039969

The School of the Art Institute (SAIC) wants to make it a classroom/gallery thing. They could make it a god damn bowling alley for all I care, that lot is the last missing piece for a completely built-out State Street and a contiguous south loop.
One just hopes that the massing gives it enough presence to hold the corner. A wimpy 1-2 story building here would still break the line of buildings.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 6:00 PM

Looks like the Logan Square "twin towers" are going to get hacked up.

From Moreno's Chief of Staff:
Quote:
Thank you for your thoughtful e-mail and your comments regarding the proposed development at 2293 N. Milwaukee Avenue.
Based on the extensive feedback received at yesterday's community meeting, we anticipate that the developer will come back with a revised, scaled-down proposal for the site.
If and when we receive a modified proposal, we will have another round of community review and input on it.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 7:20 PM
The City

^. I'm betting this was their strategy all
along

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development