HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
For what it's worth, their livery is ugly! Did they have a design contest at an elementary school?
I don't know about "Livery" but the paint job isn't to bad.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missinglink View Post
I don't know about "Livery" but the paint job isn't to bad.
Livery:
An aircraft livery is a set of comprehensive insignia comprising color, graphic, and typographical identifiers which operators (airlines, governments, air forces and occasionally private and corporate owners) apply to their aircraft.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 11:26 PM

Flair Airlines pauses Regina operations as customer demand remains low

https://www.cjme.com/2020/12/11/flai...d-remains-low/

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 2:08 PM

Nav Canada Layoffs

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...d-19-1.5896077

Some more terrible news for YQR. First it was U.S. airlines now this. Despite the chatter from local politicians I don't see them changing the Feds minds which have zero love for this province. So what's with this airport. Were the pre-covid numbers really that low? Is YQR cost prohibitive compared to other airports or what's really going on? I know nothing about airports but it just frustrates me so much that the capital city of Saskatchewan has an absolutely terrible airport.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:57 PM

That is a serious blow to our province. I would think it essential that there be two major connecting airports in our Province. I can't see how connections required through Saskatoon to get anywhere is a sustainable model.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curo View Post
Some more terrible news for YQR. First it was U.S. airlines now this. Despite the chatter from local politicians I don't see them changing the Feds minds which have zero love for this province.
Scott Moe this you?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 5:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBoy View Post
Scott Moe this you?
lol that’s what I was thinking. The victim complex of some people here is pathetic. We are a province with 3% of Canada’s population. Of course we are insignificant. We could have had representation in the federal government but Regina-Wascana chose to go for numb-nuts Kram instead (I worked with him - he really is a goober). The people in this province sure love to cut their noses off to spite their face.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
lol that’s what I was thinking. The victim complex of some people here is pathetic. We are a province with 3% of Canada’s population. Of course we are insignificant. We could have had representation in the federal government but Regina-Wascana chose to go for numb-nuts Kram instead (I worked with him - he really is a goober). The people in this province sure love to cut their noses off to spite their face.
I also agree losing Ralph Goodale has screwed Regina completely.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
I also agree losing Ralph Goodale has screwed Regina completely.
Ralph was a champion, not just for Regina, but also Saskatoon and the rest of Saskatchewan.

As for Kram, I have a worse name for him other than 'goober' as mentioned by djforsberg. I have written to Kram twice, only to receive a message that his staff will respond. Nope! Not once, but twice. So who the hell is he representing? I am pissed off that people didn't re-elect Ralph. Who cares that he is Liberal? He did a lot for this province, and surely the airport would not have been in this situation had he still been in power. He was an elite politician within the Liberal Party (and no, I'm not a Liberal, but I know he was a damn fine career politician who was worthy of representing us federally. Where the hell is Scheer? I think he represents Regina, but it doesn't seem like he has done shit.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Ralph was a champion, not just for Regina, but also Saskatoon and the rest of Saskatchewan.

As for Kram, I have a worse name for him other than 'goober' as mentioned by djforsberg. I have written to Kram twice, only to receive a message that his staff will respond. Nope! Not once, but twice. So who the hell is he representing? I am pissed off that people didn't re-elect Ralph. Who cares that he is Liberal? He did a lot for this province, and surely the airport would not have been in this situation had he still been in power. He was an elite politician within the Liberal Party (and no, I'm not a Liberal, but I know he was a damn fine career politician who was worthy of representing us federally. Where the hell is Scheer? I think he represents Regina, but it doesn't seem like he has done shit.
Agreed.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 10:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Goodale would always respond to my inquiries even if it took awhile. When I offered my condolences for his election loss, he responded back directly from his iPad (he didn’t change the default signature that’s added to emails sent from an iPad).

When Kram was campaigning and posted something about fighting the carbon tax on LinkedIn, I responded asking what his alternative to lowering our carbon emissions was. My comment was promptly deleted.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 5:13 PM

Air Canada suggests loss of service if Regina air traffic control tower is closed

https://www.620ckrm.com/2021/02/05/a...wer-is-closed/

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 6:07 PM

Yikes!
In some ways, I see this as a consequence of Saskatchewan having two small to mid size cities competing for services and resources. Likely, a scenario as to how Manitoba has one Major city is far more beneficial and feasible for a province with similar population size.

However....hindsight is 2020 and I don't think air service to Regina can be abandoned!!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Yikes!
In some ways, I see this as a consequence of Saskatchewan having two small to mid size cities competing for services and resources. Likely, a scenario as to how Manitoba has one Major city is far more beneficial and feasible for a province with similar population size.

However....hindsight is 2020 and I don't think air service to Regina can be abandoned!!
It would be an absolute embarrassment and failure of municipal, provincial and federal governments for the capital city of Saskatchewan to lose Air Canada service. It’s already embarrassing enough that the notion is even being considered.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
It would be an absolute embarrassment and failure of municipal, provincial and federal governments for the capital city of Saskatchewan to lose Air Canada service. It’s already embarrassing enough that the notion is even being considered.
No kidding! This is horrible news, but maybe Air Canada is saying this to get conversation going about losing the control tower. Regina has always been a very good market for AC, considering its population. We have lot of large events that bring in a lot of people over and above the base numbers (Agribition, Grey Cups, conventions, etc.).

We need to know who to contact to express our displeasure, considering that there is no Liberal representation in Saskatchewan. The Transport Minister, Trudeau, the Fairy Godmother?

Maybe someone could start a petition (if that would do any good).

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Voting out Ralph Goodale is a reason why Regina may lose air service? That's a bit of a stretch no? Saskatoon hasn't voted Liberal in a generation and it hasn't impacted their airport. Calgary is a Liberal wasteland and yet YYC doesn't seem too impacted.

Goodale, despite not being an MP, is still close to Trudeau. One would think he'd have more of an impact lobbying for Regina now that he doesn't have to worry about political gamesmanship.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 1:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
Voting out Ralph Goodale is a reason why Regina may lose air service? That's a bit of a stretch no? Saskatoon hasn't voted Liberal in a generation and it hasn't impacted their airport. Calgary is a Liberal wasteland and yet YYC doesn't seem too impacted.

Goodale, despite not being an MP, is still close to Trudeau. One would think he'd have more of an impact lobbying for Regina now that he doesn't have to worry about political gamesmanship.
I never said that voting out Goodale is why Regina may lose service. All I am saying is losing Goodale for Kram does more harm for us than good. Especially for those of us who realize the Cons have little chance of forming a majority any time soon thanks to their continuing concentration on the prairies (and they couldn't even defeat a scandal-ridden Trudeau in 2019).

Also, it would make absolutely no sense to think Goodale has more power now than he would as not only an MP, but as the highest-ranking member of cabinet, as he was prior to the last election. And your comment about Calgary... seriously? They are the western hub for WestJet in a city of 1.3M plus. They clearly don't need any political help. That was a silly analogy.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Yikes!

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment. Both Regina and Saskatoon are large enough to support the airports they have and they serve different parts of Saskatchewan. The reason for this has nothing to do with two small cities competing, but rather a pandemic that has decimated the industry and a fed government looking to find ways to save money while the debt sky rockets up.

I just hope that Moe does more than just shoot off at the mouth like he always does, and actually get this resolved so that the control tower is not shut down. Unfortunately he doesn't have a sympathetic ear in Ottawa because he blames everything on Trudeau, rightly or wrongly.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 2:10 PM

K so... 3 hrs south dramatically dwindling (since last few oil crashes as Bakken oil drillers are moving to cheaper newly found crude in texas) population Minot has Allegiant (Vegas, Phoenix) and Delta (Minneapolis), and Regina is struggling to keep airlines even pre pandemic. It sounds like a regulation issue...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
K so... 3 hrs south dramatically dwindling (since last few oil crashes as Bakken oil drillers are moving to cheaper newly found crude in texas) population Minot has Allegiant (Vegas, Phoenix) and Delta (Minneapolis), and Regina is struggling to keep airlines even pre pandemic. It sounds like a regulation issue...
4 hours. Williston has an airport 3 hours away though.

The US, however, famously subsidizes its small airports. Canada does not.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan