HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 9:58 PM
. . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMike
I think the only thing thats going where the franklin street bakery was is a wendy's. hehe
Damn, that would suck. Square meat is no treat.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 10:30 PM

I think that the leparisien flats and marketplace will fit in nicely in that location. The one thing I'm not a fan of is that parking lot that's next to it that will be open to Lyndale, I suppose though it will help the businesses that are going in there.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2005, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirus
Nothing big, but a while back I wrote to RSP about whether or not they had designs or a release date set on when they'd be available for the Whole Foods development. They basically just said what I figured they would; that they are at the will of Milliken. It was worth a shot though. They said I could try contacting Milliken, but I'm guessing that'd be a worthless endeavor.
just tell them mr milk said is was cool - duh.

as for the le parisien, what self respecting architect would throw up that pile of shit? anybody else notice the scooter in front aswell?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2005, 12:57 AM

Look how the roof lines fit in with the surrounding development!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2005, 1:09 AM

Last edited by ivesetsail; Apr 26, 2010 at 9:43 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2005, 2:10 AM

I heard thats what hapened! What exactly did he say??? That blue buidling is hideous btw!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2005, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMike
construction has started on this project on lyndale:

http://www.leparisienflats.com/index.html

The project and the website seem disorganized to me, and a bit cheesy. Isn't It supposed to be spelled Parisian, not parisien? I could be wrong
The saddest part about this project is that this rendering is 10X better than it will ever look. When that thing is finished there will be no trees, plants, or small scooters parked out in the front of it! Where the hell did this thing come from?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2005, 4:29 AM

Europe duuuuhhhh!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2005, 4:31 AM

btw, anyone notice the duplicate in the far upper left corner?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2005, 6:47 AM

That's what I was saying before, that it fits in with the surrounding style of architecture.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2005, 2:58 PM

From the SW Journal:

Calhoun Square hearing set for Nov. 28, modified plans submitted

By Robyn Repya
Plans for the reconstruction of Uptown's Calhoun Square, 3001 Hennepin Ave. S., were continued again at the Oct. 31 Planning Commission meeting, repeating a delay on Oct. 5. The new hearing date is set for Monday, Nov. 28.

In the meantime, Calhoun Square developers, Solomon Real Estate, have been hard at work on altered renovation plans for the Uptown mall, which they submitted to CARAG. The neighborhood voted to not support the new plan at its November meeting.

The $75 million overhaul of the Uptown mall will expand it to West 31st Street, east to Fremont Avenue and add amenities, including an outdoor courtyard, 1.5 parking levels and new retailers. The project also sports 124 new housing units, split between the buildings fronting on 31st and on Lake Street.

CARAG Zoning and Land Use Committee Chair Aaron Rubenstein said the previous Calhoun Square plan had three six-story buildings along 31st Street surrounding an open plaza, but with the plan modifications it has been changed to one five story building on the corner, stepped back from the street.

The previously planned plaza was also expanded as part of the plan modifications. But despite a larger plaza, CARAG residents cited in a resolution that it's “problematic and unattractive,” adding that it lacks trees, pedestrian routes to the mall and a proposed screen wall fails to engage the community with the space.

Other changes include increase height of the building set for along Lake Street, located on the block east of Girard Avenue. The mixed-use building was planned for six stories - two retail, four residential above - but its' now set for seven stories. In CARAG's resolution, both the five-story and seven story buildings were deemed “too tall.”

Rubenstein said smaller new changes to the plan also include added architectural detail and foliage to the parking ramp to improve the view of the ramp from residents on Fremont Avenue.

CARAG neighborhood residents have held workshops, community meetings and drafted letters to the developer, citing specific concerns about the project. Concerns have included the desire to reduce condo building height and to address traffic management, the lack of affordable housing, and environmental building and pollution concerns.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2005, 3:00 PM

Also from the SW Journal:

Retooled Lagoon Project gains Planning Commission approval

Photo by Robyn Repya
Model of the massive Uptown Lagoon project.
By Robyn Repya
Condo building now 10 stories, not 13

The revamped development plan for a condo/office/entertainment complex behind the Lagoon Theater got a thumbs-up from the Minneapolis Planning Commission Oct. 31. The project now awaits a City Council vote.

The so-called “Lagoon Project” became a neighborhood flashpoint after a design including a 13-story condo structure was unveiled this spring. The City Council voted July 1 to restrict the condo building to 10 stories; developers have been working with architects to change the design.

The retooled plan reduced the office space, opened up the public plaza and added condos, but it reduced the height of the main structure from 13 to 10 stories. Townhomes were also been added to Fremont Avenue South.

“We're obviously very pleased with the outcome,” said Clark Gassen, a project co-developer.

He said that if there are no appeals to the Commission's decision, he anticipates Council approval.

The new plan

The ambitious project's developers are Gassen, founder of Financial Freedom Realty - known in Southwest for a plethora of condo conversions - and Stuart Ackerberg, the continuation of a familial Uptown legacy, the Ackerberg Group.

The new plans for the 1320 Lagoon Ave. site have three main buildings, instead of two. A 10-story condo building is planned for the parcel's west side, abutting the backside of the Old Walker Library, 2901 Hennepin Ave. S. There would also be an eight-story condo building near the greenway, a six-story office building and a renovated Lagoon Theater. The number of condo housing units has increased from 112 to 166.

In addition, three to five “walk-up” townhomes will also be added to the 2900 block of Fremont Avenue. Gassen had said the townhomes were added because of neighborhood and city concern about a lack of pedestrian activity on Fremont.

Prices for the housing will be from $200,000 to over $1 million.

The project also added more public access points, including those already planned from the Midtown Greenway.

Greenway amenities include a pedestrian bridge and connection to the trench, but plans are still pending negotiations with Hennepin County (which owns the greenway) and Metro Transit (which runs buses along the project's greenway border to the Uptown Transit hub).

Developers pushed hard for project approval this summer because the Colle McVoy ad agency was a potential major office tenant. The company passed when the project was delayed. Gassen said current office tenant plans include a 40,000-square-foot space for office tenants, designed for small business owners.

Resident concern

The previous plans stirred up many residents, who complained to the city about the project's height. The area is zoned for four-story buildings unless there is further city review. The Hill East (Wedge) Neighborhood Association (LHENA), voted to support the updated version of the project.

East Calhoun resident Lara Norkus Crampton spoke against the project before at the Oct. 31 Planning Commission meeting. She had also appealed the Planning Commission's earlier approval of the 13-story building. If a project's approval is appealed, the City Council makes the final determination.

Norkus Crampton said she's worried about the large project setting a precedent in the neighborhood.

She referenced the large, newly proposed Greco development, a proposal for buildings up to 10 stories at 2900 and 2910 Lyndale Ave. S. and 2901 Aldrich Ave. S. and possible other nearby Lyn-Lake parcels.

Norkus Crampton said the project-by-project way of redeveloping “is a very stupid way of doing things in all honesty. Now the burden's going to be on the city to say [to developers], “why not?”

Norkus Crampton said the city should listen to resident opinions about a master plan for area redevelopment. Many elected officials, new and former, have talked about a master plan, but nothing has been made public so far.

Gassen agreed, to a degree. “It would be nice for a developer to know exactly what would be allowed on a particular site,” he said, adding that he and his partners rather work with neighborhood groups on project design, instead of fighting with them. However, he said developers worked on this project for nearly a year and tried to respond to neighborhood concerns.

Developers are preparing for an April 2006 construction start and have begun to take leasing reservations. Gassen said 90 units are reserved so far.

For more information about the project, he suggested visiting the leasing office located on the northeast corner of West Lake Street & Hennepin Avenue South.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2005, 3:04 PM

From the SW Journal:

Second tower for Stevens Square development

By Anna Pratt
A proposal from Gateway Commons to develop at the former Abbott Hospital (City of Lakes Care Center) site, 110 E. 18th St. could add a second tower to the Stevens Square area. The City of Lakes project was presented to the Stevens Square Community Organization (SSCO) Oct. 13.

The project would redevelop the currently vacant hospital in two stages. First, the building's original 1910 portion would be converted into a 12-unit apartment complex. Then, later additions that span East 18th Street & Stevens Avenue will be torn down to make way for a four-story, 83-unit apartment building.

An addition lining 1st Avenue will contain 23 stories or 199 units. There will also be 177 underground parking spaces. The side facing Stevens Square will refer to the neighborhood's historic architecture, while the part jutting out toward downtown would display mostly glass, developer Swami Palanisami said.

The Heritage Preservation Commission (HPC) approved several components of the project Oct. 25. That includes demolition of the building's nonhistoric portions, the new construction proposed for 18th Street & Stevens Avenue and rehabilitation of the Abbott Hospital.

The HPC rejected demolition of the historic Janney building and the construction of a 23-story tower on the site.

The main question the development poses to community members is whether or not they want another tower in the neighborhood. How will it change the landscape? Some are more comfortable with the changes to L-shaped portion of the building, but the tower has stirred more controversy.

Right now, just two buildings stand at over four stories high in the area.

SSCO Chair Nadine Knibb spoke positively about the development since it would encourage density and spawn commercial growth. Others said they liked how the plan fused the old with the new.

Knibb cautioned that Stevens Square is committed to creating affordable housing opportunities.

Gateway Commons will return to the neighborhood with plans that are further along in the planning process.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2005, 5:35 PM
. . . . . . .

That article is not very well-written.

Second tower? That makes no sense.

There are two in the neighborhood right now, which the article mentions...so this would be the third for the neighborhood. There's only one tower proposed for this specific development.

Last edited by Ecker; Nov 20, 2005 at 5:43 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2005, 8:28 PM

I thought it read strangly as well.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2005, 12:35 AM
The True Avatar

Good. I am not the only one confused by this article.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2005, 1:34 AM

i'm unfamiliar with the location of this area.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2005, 2:30 AM

From the Skyway News:

Condos rise over Liquor Depot?

By Jeremy Stratton
If a land sale and possible condo/retail project come to fruition, it will spell the end of Downtown stalwart Liquor Depot as we know it. It will not, however, be the end of the line for the 31-year-old family business at 1010 Washington Ave. S.

Liquor Depot’s Kathy Huber — who owns the business with her sisters Jean Senko and Judy Hachey — confirmed a signed purchase agreement with Shamrock Development for most of the Downtown East block bounded by Washington Avenue, South Second Street and 10th & 11th avenues. A Shamrock representative said the company hopes to build 280 condos in seven to 10 stories above retail space. Principal Jim Stanton said it is too early to comment further.

Huber said the Liquor Depot would close during the year-long construction, which would not begin before next May. When the condo construction ended, it would rise again as Sorella Wine and Spirits (Sorella means “sister” in Italian) — a smaller, more upscale store just a third the size of the Liquor Depot’s current 15,000-square-foot sales floor.

Sorella will offer “a more fine-wine concept than warehouse,” Huber said, adding that the store would serve the neighborhood more directly as it becomes increasingly residential with the booming condo market.

Part of her will be sad to see the Liquor Depot go, Huber said. “I grew up here. I’ve been here since it opened 31 years ago,” she said. “I’ll feel sad; it’s something my dad built, but this is what’s going on in the area. I know that the city wants to change the area, too.”

The project is in the beginning stages, Huber said — pending closing on the land sale and city approvals.

Shamrock has built numerous condominium projects in Downtown’s North Loop — from Lindsay Lofts, 408 N. 1st St., in the late 1980s to the recently completed Rock Island Lofts, 111 N. 4th St. A proposed Shamrock development on the North Loop corner of North Fifth Street & Washington Avenue North fell through recently when purchase details could not be worked out with Gardner Hardware. If the city approves Shamrock’s two-tower, 500-plus-unit “Eclipse,” it will rise 26 and 32 stories at the corner of Washington and Hennepin Avenues.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2005, 5:35 PM
The True Avatar

I am glad to see that they will remain in business on this site. Having already seen the rendering for this project, I am somewhat excited. It is another one of Shamrocks cookie-cutters, but has some style to it. But just some. Right Andy?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2005, 6:56 PM

lindsay lofts was not built in the late 1980s! anyone else catch that? hehe

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations