HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 3:09 PM
The City

^ Yes that’s it.

Fills in that corner nicely, and so far has a nice, thick masonry look. I know that it’s not cutting edge copulating insects stuff, but good filler

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Yes that’s it.

Fills in that corner nicely, and so far has a nice, thick masonry look. I know that it’s not cutting edge copulating insects stuff, but good filler
There was a long community process on this one and it was one of the rare instances where the neighbors had positive effect on aesthetics. They originally proposed more of the typical banal modern garbage with zero detail and the community insisted on something better. Notice how well the parking is tucked away on this one as well...

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 7:37 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Construction Update: 400 N Aberdeen Street

Chicago | West Loop | Fulton Market | 400 N Aberdeen Street by Razorback05, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 3:13 AM

A blues museum, eco-food hub and apartments are part of $67 million in projects picked to kick off Chicago’s Invest South/West initiative

https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...eym-story.html

Quote:
Three real estate developments with a combined investment of $67 million have been chosen to kick off Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s initiative to boost investment on the city’s South and West Sides.

Lightfoot on Monday announced the winning proposals for sites in Austin on the West Side and in Auburn Gresham and Englewood on the South Side, as part of the $750 million Invest South/West initiative.

The costliest proposal of the three is a $37.5 million plan for the former Laramie Bank building and adjacent land at Laramie and Chicago avenues in Austin. The project is led by Heartland Alliance and Oak Park Regional Housing.

They propose renovating the 20,000-square-foot former bank building with commercial uses including a blues museum, bank branch, cafe and business incubator. On adjacent land, the firms propose a multistory apartment building with affordable units, a green roof, public plaza and outdoor art.

In Auburn Gresham, Evergreen Real Estate Group and Imagine Group plan a $19.4 million redevelopment of vacant land near Halsted and 79th streets.

They propose 56 affordable apartments, ground-floor retail and 35 parking spaces. The plan includes private garden lots and a playground. It is expected to create 100 construction jobs and three full-time positions, according to the city. The site is across the street from a healthy lifestyle hub project that won a $10 million grant called the Chicago Prize.

Also on the South Side, in Englewood, a $10.3 million second phase is envisioned for the Englewood Square shopping center, which is anchored by a Whole Foods. McLaurin Development and Farpoint Development plan an “eco-food hub” that would train, employ and feed local residents.

The project on the 800 block of West 63rd Parkway will reuse the landmark former Green Street fire station as a commercial kitchen, and the project will include an incubator to train startup businesses and a “living room” for local events.

Vacant land will be used for hoop houses providing year-round farming and a public plaza. A flexible market space and event center are planned for later phases. The development is expected to create 80 construction jobs and 45 permanent, full-time jobs.

The city’s planning department, led by Maurice Cox, guided the Invest South/West site proposal process by outlining preferred uses and soliciting conceptual renderings from top architecture firms.

Developers have until the end of March to submit plans for the second round of Invest South/West sites open to requests for proposals.

The city opened up those four sites for proposals in November. They are in Bronzeville, South Chicago and New City on the South Side and North Lawndale on the West Side.
Here are some of the renderings:

Austin site
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8948...7i16384!8i8192

Englewood site
(most likely) https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7796...7i16384!8i8192

Auburn Gresham site
(around here) https://www.google.com/maps/place/W+...!4d-87.6440275

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 4:56 AM

It's really great to see the Laramie State Bank building getting a rehab. That's a real art deco gem on the westside.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 3:04 PM

that 63rd & halsted intersection (Englewood) really has the neighborhood infrastructure to accept a lot more residential density - transit, grocery, banking, health services, college campus, and vacant lots ready for more.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 3:32 PM
Show me the blueprints

_

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 4:11 PM
Small but Mighty

^^This hurts so much

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 5:22 PM
Show me the blueprints

^ Its meant to

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 8:07 PM

The city is doing a lot of initiatives for Invest South/West. One that caught my eye is the “1,000 homes project" for North Lawndale. Exactly as it sounds, the city is partnering with Lawndale Christian Development Council and United Power to build 1,000 units throughout the neighborhood. Phase I will cover 125 infill lots surrounding Ogden Ave. The project is still in the planning stage, but has been discussed in a couple of public documents and press releases

Page 20: https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...dale_RFP_1.pdf
Page 14: https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...tner_RFP_1.pdf

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
The city is doing a lot of initiatives for Invest South/West. One that caught my eye is the “1,000 homes project" for North Lawndale. Exactly as it sounds, the city is partnering with Lawndale Christian Development Council and United Power to build 1,000 units throughout the neighborhood. Phase I will cover 125 infill lots surrounding Ogden Ave. The project is still in the planning stage, but has been discussed in a couple of public documents and press releases

Page 20: https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...dale_RFP_1.pdf
Page 14: https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...tner_RFP_1.pdf
these are excellent thanks for sharing. its good to see someones at least thinking about this stuff since it echoes a lot of my own thoughts (and i imagine anyone else's who lives or spends a lot of time driving through that ogden corridor)

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 2:18 AM
1st Ward

^ Looks like they want to get rid (or begin getting rid) parts of the frontage roads along each side of Ogden. I feel that would be a wasted opportunity. It would be great to find an alternate use for it, such as BRT or even light rail. (Although spending money on rail here might be unjustified due to its proximity to the Pink line). A dedicated ROW like this is something the city would be wise to preserve for future transportation expansion, IMHO.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 2:37 AM

Agreed, at a minimum they could easily make it protected bike lanes

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 4:22 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
^ Looks like they want to get rid (or begin getting rid) parts of the frontage roads along each side of Ogden. I feel that would be a wasted opportunity. It would be great to find an alternate use for it, such as BRT or even light rail. (Although spending money on rail here might be unjustified due to its proximity to the Pink line). A dedicated ROW like this is something the city would be wise to preserve for future transportation expansion, IMHO.
Couldn't agree more.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 5:44 PM

Apartments Now For Rent In Former Lawrence Avenue Sears Building
Block Club Chicago | Alex V. Hernandez | 8:00 AM CST on Mar 12, 2021

Quote:
The $40 million redevelopment of the former Sears into retail and apartments was announced in 2017. Nearly half of the apartments are already rented, according to a leasing agent.

image via Block Club Chicago

image via Trulia

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 5:07 PM

As of now the nice brick portion of ADM mill still standing, silo portion being demoed. Fingers crossed!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 5:25 PM

Tribune Tower Rehab - 435 N Michigan

March 11

Venting on lower Kinzie

And a new plaza - hopefully as much "seating" as the old one, it was heavily used by families taking a break.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Apartments Now For Rent In Former Lawrence Avenue Sears Building
Block Club Chicago | Alex V. Hernandez | 8:00 AM CST on Mar 12, 2021
The picture of the townhome lofts looks nice actually. Are these all for rent, or are some for sale? My wife and I have an opportunity to move back to Chicago this year - looking at buying a place eventually (like end of the year or early next year). I love open lofty spaces like that.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 6:02 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
My wife and I have an opportunity to move back to Chicago this year - looking at buying a place eventually (like end of the year or early next year). .
After all of these years? Alright!!!

Video Link

The way you keep up with local economic and permit data so far away, I’m looking forward to what you’ll be capable of when you’re actually living here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
After all of these years? Alright!!!

Video Link

The way you keep up with local economic and permit data so far away, I’m looking forward to what you’ll be capable of when you’re actually living here
LOL - still working through the details so we'll see what's up. It feels so close but so far because 100% of the details haven't been ironed out yet. We want to have some kids, and prices are pretty insane here in NYC for that (even out in suburbs whether Long Island or NJ).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development