HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 8:38 PM
I am the law!

Rogers bought the whole team for under $150 million. Today, CIBC's 10% stake would be valued higher. Whoever owns Labatt, Interbrew etc. now must be having an " if only" moment.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 8:39 PM

Football/soccer will not be returning to the SkyDome even in baseball offseason. Rogers and Oxford are still slowly working behind the scenes to see how a new ballpark can work on the existing grounds.

But yes, the dirt infield and the new turf installed this season are two big reasons why the 100 level will be permanently fixed

Last edited by Brisket17; Oct 15, 2021 at 8:46 PM. Reason: wrong topic

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
Are they seriously going to have Leafs/Sabres in Hamilton at Tim Hortons Field?
Sure will; have a family member working for HNIC and was told they already have that date circled for Hamilton (getting broadcast truck brought into THF site)

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 5:57 PM
ハルウララ

New soccer stadium coming to Peterborough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Electric City FC of Peterborough will join League 1 Ontario for 2022.

re: stadium

Quote:
The club is working in partnership with Hybrid Sports on a 74 Acre Sports Complex on the edge of Peterborough where they are building a world class multi-sport training facility, including a full-size indoor pitch and an exclusive ECFC soccer stadium, with brand new grass pitch, that the Club will call home. The full stadium is being built in stages over the next 3 years, with the grass pitch being ready for the team in the spring along with temporary seating and structures for 2022.
https://www.league1ontario.com/news_...e/show/1189500

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 8:50 PM

BC Place to get new artificial turf after the end of the CFL season

High school football looking for new spot for playoffs with B.C. Place Stadium unavailable this season
The hope is that the B.C. high school gridiron playoffs are back in the dome next season.
Steve Ewen theprovince.com October 21, 2021

PavCo has a request for proposal on the B.C. Bid website that’s looking for a company to redo the B.C. Place turf. The bid opened on Sept. 24 and closes on Friday.

Additionally, B.C. Place is scheduled to undertake a critical turf-replacement project in the months of December and January.

B.C. Place is also the home to the Lions and the Vancouver Whitecaps. The Leos’ last regular-season game at home is Nov. 19. The Caps’ final regular-season game at the stadium is Nov. 7. Both clubs could have playoffs games at home.

According to a proposal on B.C. Bid, PavCo is looking for a company to “remove and dispose of the existing synthetic turf and re-layer and replace with new synthetic turf, shock pad, infill, stone/rubber/urethane levelling course and related work at B.C. Place Stadium.”

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:17 PM

Brampton is proposing a $35 million multi-use stadium, to be primarily used for cricket, beside their arena at the 407 and 410. Proposed to have 5000 seats, with temporary expansion capability of 20,000. No timeline given.

https://www.bramptonguardian.com/new...iQo0qAAHxtkGmo

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 3:18 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I think the stadium costs are more the issue than the cost of the team. NFL revenues are going to explode under the new TV deal, and teams can be pulling in upwards of $800 million or more per year each on average by the end of this decade, and the salary cap is about 48-49% of league revenue. I think some rich folks might look at the future revenues, presumed franchise value increases and say "yeah, I can swing that". But it's doubtful any of them want to spend that money on a stadium that has no hope of covering it's own costs.
This country has people/corporations wealthy enough to own an NFL team, yes, but that combined with the costs of a stadium don't really line up. The NFL already has Canada as more-or-less a committed market and I don't think adding a team in Toronto does a whole lot more to that aside from cementing eight or nine games physically in the country every year. There's a reason why the NFL has already jumped Toronto in favour of places like Mexico City and London.

Quote:
However, I've often wondered what the renovation potential of the Skydome is, to turn it into a football only facility? Could they completely gut the lower level, and even lower the floor of the stadium, and rebuild that level into a nice tight football space, add some seating in that north end where the Budweiser and Westjet decks are and get the seating capacity over 60,000? The Blue Jays need a new ballpark anyway, so repurposing the dome would be a great idea.
Similar to what is usually brought up re: the Argos, I think a football facility would do better outside of the downtown. I still think an area like Downsview would be ideal even given the past failed bids for that location. It's north enough to capture more northern and rural GTA and surroundings without being totally separated from the city itself. Downsview would have enough room for a stadium as well as additional builds and activations that would allow for things like tailgating and other pre/post-game events. It's already on a subway line. It's already on and near highways. It's not too far from Pearson.

If done right a multi-use football/soccer stadium at Downsview would potentially anchor NFL, CFL, CMNT, CWNT, and any other one-off event we'd like, and would act as a better centralized stadium than what BMO is forced into occasionally. It's a matter of cost as always, but if worked into a larger residential and commercial development I think it's feasible in a 40K-50K range in 10-15 years.

Would this facility need an NFL team as an anchor tenant? Probably.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 2:07 AM
I am the law!

Toronto had a stadium in the 1990s and was unable to get an NFL Team. Teams were a tenth the value they are now too. There's probably only a dozen Canadian families that can throw down the money for an NFL team now without putting everything on the line. The NFL opposes corporate ownership.

The opportunity at Downsview has passed by until such a time the airfield closes and is opened for development

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 3:10 AM

I was on an internet deep dive about MLSE a couple of nights ago, which has some relevance to the Toronto NFL discussion. MLSE was actively trying to get a team in the late 2000s and early 2010s, and actually attempted to purchase the Bills in 2014 as part of a group bid with Jon Bon Jovi, but were outbid by the Pegulas. Additionally, the prospect of obtaining a Toronto NFL franchise in the future was one of the main drivers of MLSE's purchase of the Argos. The NFL was purportedly apprehensive about the idea given the lower popularity of the CFL, and it was heavily implied that the NFL would not be coming to Toronto (or even Canada in general) without the Argos, as well as the entire CFL, seeing huge gains in popularity. Attendance for the Argos at BMO unfortunately remains low.

Additionallly, an NFL stadium in Toronto would have to seat at least 60,000. I am highly doubtful the NFL would settle for anything less. The smallest is Soldier Field in Chicago which seats around 61,000 (which is being replaced with a 70,000+ stadium), with the next smallest being State Farm Stadium in Phoenix/Glendale at around 63,000. There would be next to no appetite for any public dollar contributions, so the purchase of a potential expansion franchise ($3.48B USD is the average franchise value now) and the construction of the stadium (also in the billions) would have to be covered entirely by an ownership group. There are not many rich people in Canada that could shell out that kind of money, and the same goes for corporate entities.

The NFL has unfortunately gotten too big for Canada to get into now. The costs are huge for a potential new entrant with no stadium. You could buy two NHL expansion franchises and build two brand-new decent-sized indoor stadiums for less money than a potential NFL expansion franchise, not counting building the stadium.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 12:44 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
I was on an internet deep dive about MLSE a couple of nights ago, which has some relevance to the Toronto NFL discussion. MLSE was actively trying to get a team in the late 2000s and early 2010s, and actually attempted to purchase the Bills in 2014 as part of a group bid with Jon Bon Jovi, but were outbid by the Pegulas. Additionally, the prospect of obtaining a Toronto NFL franchise in the future was one of the main drivers of MLSE's purchase of the Argos. The NFL was purportedly apprehensive about the idea given the lower popularity of the CFL, and it was heavily implied that the NFL would not be coming to Toronto (or even Canada in general) without the Argos, as well as the entire CFL, seeing huge gains in popularity. Attendance for the Argos at BMO unfortunately remains low.
I guess it makes sense, but it's weird to consider that they would want a stronger 'rival' product to exist before entering the market. Would be similar to being hesitant of entering Las Vegas unless their NCAA program was more popular.

Quote:
Additionallly, an NFL stadium in Toronto would have to seat at least 60,000. I am highly doubtful the NFL would settle for anything less. The smallest is Soldier Field in Chicago which seats around 61,000 (which is being replaced with a 70,000+ stadium), with the next smallest being State Farm Stadium in Phoenix/Glendale at around 63,000. There would be next to no appetite for any public dollar contributions, so the purchase of a potential expansion franchise ($3.48B USD is the average franchise value now) and the construction of the stadium (also in the billions) would have to be covered entirely by an ownership group. There are not many rich people in Canada that could shell out that kind of money, and the same goes for corporate entities.
I think they would settle for 50K/55K if they had an exceptional amount of boxes and premium seats. The future Bills stadium is only slated to be 60K, down from the current 72K. Soldier Field has historically been too small for that market.

Agreed on the costing, though, and I can really only think of a handful of groups who could even be considered (the leading of which is currently under mass disarray, including with its sports properties).

Quote:
The NFL has unfortunately gotten too big for Canada to get into now. The costs are huge for a potential new entrant with no stadium. You could buy two NHL expansion franchises and build two brand-new decent-sized indoor stadiums for less money than a potential NFL expansion franchise, not counting building the stadium.
Absolutely, and i'd wager an arena would have better ROI with a better ability to host more event dates through a standard calendar year.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 1:47 PM

Quote:
I guess it makes sense, but it's weird to consider that they would want a stronger 'rival' product to exist before entering the market. Would be similar to being hesitant of entering Las Vegas unless their NCAA program was more popular.
From what I understand, the NFL likes having the CFL around as a place (that they don't have to pay for) to find players and coaches.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
From what I understand, the NFL likes having the CFL around as a place (that they don't have to pay for) to find players and coaches.
They used to like it as a place to avoid anti trust violation.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 7:37 PM
ハルウララ

So because the Growlers have been kicked out of their arena in St. John's they'll be starting their season in Toronto at the home of the Marlies.

https://www.echl.com/en/news/2021/10...ved-to-toronto

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
They also didn't want to be responsible for killing the CFL (understandably).

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
They also didn't want to be responsible for killing the CFL (understandably).
They could care less about that. It's all anti-trust & scouting.

If the XFL takes off for more than a season, Canada becomes a much more appealing market for NFL expansion.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 9:46 PM

Quote:
So because the Growlers have been kicked out of their arena in St. John's they'll be starting their season in Toronto at the home of the Marlies.

https://www.echl.com/en/news/2021/10...ved-to-toronto
What the hell? Given how tenuous high-level hockey in St. John's has been over the years, I'm assuming this is the beginning of the end of the Growlers franchise in St. John's.

So what happened? Is there anyone on this forum with inside knowledge of St. John's happenings and other such gossip?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 9:52 PM
ハルウララ

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...ntre-1.6226717

The operators of the team, Deacon S&E, are accused of 'disrespectful workplace conduct' by city staff and employees of St. John's S&E, the arena operator, so pending an investigation the Growlers have been booted from the arena. The situation is tenuous enough that the Growlers owner has said that the team will be moving elsewhere outside of the city of St. John's and plans to eventually build the team an arena.

Through all of this it's my personal opinion that SJSE is incredibly toxic and unable to do anything competent, but we'll see how things shake out.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 9:57 PM

Must be one hell of a lease that allows the landlord to kick out the tenant for disrespectful workplace conduct. I don't know how you fix the relationship after that.

But that said, as I said before, high level hockey has been very tenuous in St. John's and it's hard to imagine someone taking out loans to build another arena to compete with Mile One Centre.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 10:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
So what happened? Is there anyone on this forum with inside knowledge of St. John's happenings and other such gossip?
PM SHH. I'm sure he knows. He probably doesn't frequent this thread.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Brampton is proposing a $35 million multi-use stadium, to be primarily used for cricket, beside their arena at the 407 and 410. Proposed to have 5000 seats, with temporary expansion capability of 20,000. No timeline given.

https://www.bramptonguardian.com/new...iQo0qAAHxtkGmo
This would be fantastic if it goes ahead. I recall reading the T20 tournament, which was held at a temporary stadium on the same site, sold about 100 000 tickets over the course of the 2019 playing.

Probably also a good investment for the CAA Centre complex, which hasn't had a stable hockey club for a while - unless the Growlers end up there?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada