HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 3:22 PM
User Registered

City limits- Expansion? Contraction? Regional Municipality?

Right now London's city limits don't make a lot of sense in my mind. In the north, you have development right on the city limit edge. In the south, you have farms upon farms.

London and/or the province need to decide if it's a urban centre or a metro amalgamation.

There are also lots of nearby towns growing and commute to the city but don't pay taxes.

If London was a regional municipality, then these communities would be taxed/influenced.

Here's my idea of a rough expansion of the city limits. This could be the regional municipality or just a single-tier city.

If it was a region, this bubble could expanded to absorb more areas in London's CMA and beyond like Strathroy, St. Thomas and Ingersoll.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 6:05 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Wow....that's a massive expansion you're proposing. I gotta see what the current limits are.....because I agree, some of the expansions of suburbs and such are really unbalanced...the north is going crazy.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 6:23 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Why not St Thomas too?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 6:42 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Why not St Thomas too?
Maybe as a regional municipality yes, but St. Thomas is too big and too far away to be absorbed by the single-tier City of London in my mind.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 9:44 PM

St Thomas northern city limit is only 3 miles from London southern city limit, a lot closer than the north, east and west arcs of that circle. The only reason London stretches so far south is because the province told the city to take all of the town of Westminster, rather than leaving a money losing piece of rural area. The city only really wanted Lambeth and maybe a couple concession roads south of the 401 along Wellington, possibly as far as the landfill, but I don't think so.

I think if the city had it to do again, they would have foregone Lambeth and pushed east and west more, Komoka to Dorchester if possible. But they also would have wanted more of the 401 within the city, rather than the little bit east of Wellington that was within the old boundary.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 10:55 PM

The absolute last thing London needs right now is to expand its city limits. London's boundaries encompass 420.57 km2. Compare this to other major cities that are smaller in size, such as Montreal (365.13 km2), Surrey (316.41 km2), Mississauga (292.4 km2), Vaughan (273.52 km2), and Brampton (266.34 km2).

Expansion of boundaries will just continue to create a larger sprawl problem for London. Considering London has no expressways and no higher-order transit network, current congestion problems will only get worse in the future. It needs to get way denser before boundary expansion is ever a thing.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 12:04 AM

Need to understand that a huge amount of the space is the former town of Westminister on the south side which is downwind of 3 waste management facilities and will never be developed due to the perfume of rotting waste and diapers. The city boundaries on the west, north and east side are nearly reached now. The pressure on those sides will see it fully built out in the future. Also the surrounding bedroom towns are building towards London and will be indistinguishable from the city. There will be inevitable tension between the county and city for increased services like waste, water, transit etc. How that gets resolved will be interesting.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 2:33 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
The absolute last thing London needs right now is to expand its city limits. London's boundaries encompass 420.57 km2. Compare this to other major cities that are smaller in size, such as Montreal (365.13 km2), Surrey (316.41 km2), Mississauga (292.4 km2), Vaughan (273.52 km2), and Brampton (266.34 km2).
If London became a regional municipality, the city itself could shrink a hefty amount to just contain the main built-up area. It would be a lower-tier city like Kitchener in Waterloo Region.

Then all the communities around London that rely on it for jobs and services could be encompassed in this new region, so the taxes they pay go into proper support, infrastructure and services they utilize. Mutually beneficial, except for the current taxpayer that lives outside of the city limits but goes to London for work and services. Their fees would go up.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 2:36 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Yea a regional municipality makes more sense. Region of Thames, anyone?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 5:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

London already sprawls horribly given the relatively middling population of the metro. 95% of the urban region is big box barf, cookie cutter suburbia, and mcmansions.
Despite not having any freeways nor any rapid transit (unlike KWC, which has both). Chronic underachiever.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 10:11 PM

I have long been in favour of establishing a regional municipality tier of government for at least London and St. Thomas, and possibly also including Strathroy. The various municipalities of the London CMA politically exist in silos:
  • City of London
  • City of St. Thomas
  • Middlesex County
  • Elgin County
  • Municipality of Thames Centre
  • Municipality of Central Elgin
  • Municipality of Middlesex Centre
  • Municipality of Strathroy-Caradoc
  • Southwold Township
  • Adelaide Metcalfe Township

There is no regional planning strategy for the London-St. Thomas area. A regional municipality replacing both Elgin and Middlesex Counties and encompassing all of the above (including the separated municipalities of London and St. Thomas, and possibly neighbouring communities such as Lucan) would allow for much more regional-level planning, regional-level transit, regional-level infrastructure, regional-level policing, and so forth. I would not support a single tier municipality as was done in Chatham-Kent, but rather a model similar to Waterloo Region. With the amount of growth in the London region, and possibly an acceleration of people moving from Toronto to London as a result of the pandemic and no longer being tied to the GTA for work, it's worth further study.

(Although my scenario is fairly specific, any municipality within Middlesex or Elgin that didn't join my hypothetical RM could potentially join a neighbouring county such as Lambton, Kent, or Huron. My experience has been that areas like Glencoe tend to be equally or even more connected with Chatham than with London.)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation