HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 6:07 PM

hx_guy@yahoo.com and I'll host and post it.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 6:10 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^you can send it to me at William.Novak@gmail.com and I can help you out

edit: beaten

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 10:17 PM

It looks like they are leaving room for yet another future expansion and also, what's with the third dorm tower? Is that something already in the works or are they showing a "could be" scenario? I have read they they plan 4000+ dorm units at full build out.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 11:34 PM

Yep, definitely leaving area for a future expansion. I like that they are putting the new nursing building on the corner closest to the future expansion area of the BioMedical campus, very smart.

That 3rd dorm tower is where the Valley Youth Theater currently sits, I remember reading awhile back that an RFP had been put out for them to get a new structure, so I guess that'll be in a different location somewhere.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 2:27 AM

Here are the complete set of renderings. Overall the building looks good but they did a horrible job of addressing both Fillmore and 3rd St. No entrances at all on Fillmore? And just one off of 3rd St...plus a huge blank wall? This looks like a fortress...maybe that's intentional since it's an educational institution? The entry facing inward at the center of the block looks like it should be the main entrance off of 3rd and Fillmore. How about some ground floor retail space?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 2:31 AM
under the influence...

So is this in addition to the existing nursing bldg, or will this be a replacement?

Edit: Nevermind, you posted the rest of the renderings while I was asking the question...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 2:33 AM

It's in addition to, it will go on the grassy area that exists now to the north of the current nursing building.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 3:57 AM
Skyriser

This is ridiculous. An entrance on Fillmore would barely require them reconfiguring a couple of the north rooms somewhat. They already have this bigass room on the NEC corner of the building that junctures two hallways--why can't they put a reception desk here for a north entrance? That room is probably too big and open to be used as a classroom, so I'm guessing it's gonna be another cube farm.

The whole thing is an antiurban fortress and the entrances they do have look deliberately hidden and claustrophobic. There are so many reasons why this is a bad idea. Every buzzword they toss out there is Orwellian at its finest: "identifiable shared entry" at the center of the property they own, the "gateway" they throw around without ANY idea of what that word means: it's the friggen' ass-end of the building!

If space is compromised by adding entrances, they can make up for it with portables for all I care until whatever next phase rolls around. The whole building is set up around a courtyard that came with the first building, and that piece of shit needs to be torn down anyway. I don't even want to know how much they spent rehabbing that thing which looks twice as wasted now.

The only merits in this building as it is proposed today is that they left a parking lot for later development...maybe. See previous posts on ASU's incompetence developing their property commercially.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 5:37 AM

I agree that with your complaints Sean. The fact that its just a huge fortress like wall against Fillmore is awful.

That being said, I do like the look of the building. The copper and the way its shaded on the west and south, its very visually pleasing.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 5:58 AM

Agree with Sean completely with street relationship-
But some sweet looking skin and materials!!
I'll still take it- but hope it has Fillmore entrance.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 6:31 AM

Yeah, seems like they should have been more aggressive in adding retail space or something on the frontages. I have to wonder if the lack of entrances is a safety issue though. It IS a nursing building after all...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 6:18 PM
this could have been...

Reminder: hearing today for Nursing exp. variances

sean, loftlover, hooverdam, andrewk, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIXPHX77 View Post
FYI folks: this Thurs. is a hearing for "ASU School of Nursing Variance requests. They are requesting 8 variances - the last 5 on the list being the most critical because those will impact the pedestrian environment. The building design turns its back to the community by minimizing access, creating blank walls facing the street and reducing the amount of shade.

The Zoning Administrator Hearing is scheduled for 2:30 in Assembly Rm C at City Hall." All of this info is per Dean Brennan (a really nice guy.)

Dean Brennan, AICP
Principal Planner
Phoenix Planning Department
602-262-4499
602-495-3793 (fax)

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 7:15 PM

GET it right Crow!

If ASU is getting scared about having a campus downtown then why did they begin this venture in the first place? If you are going to have an urban university then go for it all the way, don't pussy foot around with it. Go visit NYU and see how they do it. Go visit UPenn and see how they do it and go look at some other countries as well. Don't they realize that as DT improves (they are supposed to be a part of that) there will be fewer scary people and scary abandoned street evenings. Also, these are supposed to be nurses who are supposed to be pretty tough so I think they can handle less than airport leve security.

Finally, I'm starting to get worried about the lack of height going into all the ASU projects downtown. They may soon find themselves out of space and out of ideas about what to do about it. Office vacancy is not high enough downtown to rent a lot of space on a long term basis. It's too bad the project that became OCPE didn't happen as that seemed to change the direction ASU was going as now they are looking to do everything themselves ; short and cheap and fast.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 7:58 PM

Arguably, none of the ASU buildings in Tempe are very tall either. But the buildings are dense.... Point is- I'll take them over vacant lots any day of the week- should the demand grow higher in the future, I am sure ASU will build taller as needed. I'm not sure many of these projects need the extreme height right away.

The Cronkite building is impressive architecture, as are many of the proposed buildings Downtown. OCPE is high. The dorm towers would have taken much longer to build if much higher.... And the school needs them right away.

Give it time- ASU will be a huge payoff in 5 years in terms of being the catalyst for the environment we seek Downtown.

I imagine hopping coffee shops/ eateries and retail shops during the day, a vibrant Civic Space, light rail usage, and (more) packed streets after daylight and nightlife activity in local bars and clubs.

If you build it, they will come.... Chi Chi Chi Chi.... Ha Ha Ha Ha....

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftlovr View Post
Arguably, none of the ASU buildings in Tempe are very tall either. But the buildings are dense.... Point is- I'll take them over vacant lots any day of the week- should the demand grow higher in the future, I am sure ASU will build taller as needed. I'm not sure many of these projects need the extreme height right away.

The Cronkite building is impressive architecture, as are many of the proposed buildings Downtown. OCPE is high. The dorm towers would have taken much longer to build if much higher.... And the school needs them right away.

Give it time- ASU will be a huge payoff in 5 years in terms of being the catalyst for the environment we seek Downtown.

I imagine hopping coffee shops/ eateries and retail shops during the day, a vibrant Civic Space, light rail usage, and (more) packed streets after daylight and nightlife activity in local bars and clubs.

If you build it, they will come.... Chi Chi Chi Chi.... Ha Ha Ha Ha....
I agree... I think ASU DT PHX is the best move this city has ever made... besides the Light Rail and the Convention Center

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 8:17 PM
Dbacks baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIXPHX77 View Post
FYI folks: this Thurs. is a hearing for "ASU School of Nursing Variance requests. They are requesting 8 variances - the last 5 on the list being the most critical because those will impact the pedestrian environment. The building design turns its back to the community by minimizing access, creating blank walls facing the street and reducing the amount of shade.

The Zoning Administrator Hearing is scheduled for 2:30 in Assembly Rm C at City Hall." All of this info is per Dean Brennan (a really nice guy.)

Dean Brennan, AICP
Principal Planner
Phoenix Planning Department
602-262-4499
602-495-3793 (fax)
Out of curiosity...what was the outcome of this hearing yesterday?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 3:33 AM

Some pics from recent photo-thread...

Cronkite:

Civic Space lot:

Taylor Place and Cronkite:

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 9:30 PM
The Lizard King

Thanks for the updates!! It seems like yesterday when they started it.... Is Good to see construction in downtown!!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 10:12 PM

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 7:35 AM

Awesome news about the ASU Nursing School! Looks like we weren't the only ones who thought the design, or more specifically, the way the design interacted with the street, was completely wrong.

Plans revised for downtown ASU building

Jahna Berry
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 18, 2008 12:00 AM
It's not on the books yet, but a plan to make downtown Phoenix an oasis of shade and inviting streets is already packing a punch.

The first hit: Arizona State University's $30 million expansion of the College of Nursing & Healthcare Innovation. Phoenix and ASU are sharing the cost of the building.

Neighborhood and business leaders complained that early drawings showed a five-story building had little shade, a blank wall and a design that "turned its back" on the street. Because it sits at Fillmore and Third streets, the building should look like a "gateway" into the campus, they argued.

After a week of pressure, ASU is retooling the outside of the building. The city plans to break ground in March. "They want us to be a leader of good design," said Ron McCoy, the university architect overseeing the project. "This got a lot more attention because of the draft and pending adoption of the Urban Form, which does a lot of things that we agree with."

The Urban Form Project, a $900,000 overhaul of the city's downtown-zoning districts and development rules, is tentatively expected to go before the City Council in June.

Future downtown projects, tourism and the success of the ASU campus hinge on making downtown more inviting, even on days with triple-digit temperatures, city leaders have said.

Under the Urban Form Project, the city plans to create a "Connected Oasis" that calls for shade, walkable spaces, a new "circulation" plan for traffic as well as a master plan for public space and public art, city planner Dean Brennan said.

With so much talk about good design, the ASU building was a surprise, said Steve Weiss, chairman of Downtown Voices Coalition Inc.

"We don't need another Collier Center, we don't need another Mercado, we don't need another Arizona Center," Weiss said, referring to other projects that have inner courtyards but few features facing the street.

The planned classroom and office complex faces the existing nursing school and creates a courtyard between the two. A downtown business group also raised concerns.

"My concern was shade and there were some walls that needed to be dressed up so there was more interplay between the street and the building," said Dan Klocke, director of planning and urban development for the Downtown Phoenix Partnership.

City and ASU officials plan to meet with community members and others about the building on Wednesday.

The nursing school addition is part of ASU's downtown expansion. In August, ASU will open a new journalism-school building and the first phase of a 1,300-bed dorm project.

The nursing-school building issue came to light during a routine Jan. 10 hearing for the project. Among other things, city officials sought permission to shrink a shade canopy, to have fewer windows and to have one entrance instead of two.

At next week's meeting the architectural team will probably have some new concepts, said Deputy City Manager David Cavasos.

"We want to set a high bar," Cavasos said, "because this is the entrance to the campus."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest