HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 12:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I’m not sure how well this will work, but I feel like that for not that much money they could have just built an overpass with a proper interchange. The benefits of this would be that you wouldn’t have to stop on the highway at all. Ideally I’d like to see the whole bypass have overpasses, but at this point I feel it’s unlikely that they will get built.
Agree 100%

Charlottetown is growing quickly, and at some point in the not too distant future, a proper bypass with grade separation, interchanges and overpasses will be necessary. Might as well start now...……….

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Agree 100%

Charlottetown is growing quickly, and at some point in the not too distant future, a proper bypass with grade separation, interchanges and overpasses will be necessary. Might as well start now...……….
Sadly the province is looking to expand on this idea by building another one by the old Sears. It’s absolutely insane that the government does not just develop a plan to phase in overpasses. They’d rather experiment with millions of dollars on these weird concepts when every other jurisdiction had already done the homework that shows overpasses are the way to go. Sure, they’re expensive, but in the long run, they’re worth the investment.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK View Post
Sadly the province is looking to expand on this idea by building another one by the old Sears. It’s absolutely insane that the government does not just develop a plan to phase in overpasses. They’d rather experiment with millions of dollars on these weird concepts when every other jurisdiction had already done the homework that shows overpasses are the way to go. Sure, they’re expensive, but in the long run, they’re worth the investment.

I don't know if I would agree completely with this statement.....while overpasses would also work, I've used DLT's in the US and they worked great.

The same was said of roundabouts 7-8 years ago, and I'd say they worked out perfectly. How many roundabouts are there in Charlottetown now, 22-24??

Last edited by billy1; Sep 23, 2020 at 5:05 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 4:39 PM

I don't really see how a bypass with grade-separated interchanges makes sense for Charlottetown. The vast majority of traffic on the bypass is local; it's not like there's thousands of vehicles passing through the entire city every day to and from more distant destinations.

Turning the bypass into a proper four lane highway will only encourage sprawl and incentivize people to live further away from where they work.

I saw continue improving flow at the existing intersections with roundabouts and DLTs.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 5:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

To be clear, I don't think the entire bypass highway needs to be divided, but I do think this should have been considered for the highway as far east as the intersection with St Peter's Road. Beyond this point, along Riverside Drive, the bypass becomes an urban collector and there are too many access points to consider dividing the roadway.

I do think however that the Charlottetown bypass should be extended to the west, through the northern portion of Upton Farm to directly connect with the Cornwall Bypass. This would certainly make for more coherent traffic flow.

I am sympathetic to OliverD's comment that there wouldn't be as much through traffic around Charlottetown as there would be around mainland cities, but a large portion of the traffic on the Saint John Throughway is commuter traffic, and the TCH bypass around Moncton is seeing more and more rush hour traffic every year as the city builds out to meet the highway. I don't think the Charlottetown Bypass would be any different, especially in 20-25 years time.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
I don't really see how a bypass with grade-separated interchanges makes sense for Charlottetown. The vast majority of traffic on the bypass is local; it's not like there's thousands of vehicles passing through the entire city every day to and from more distant destinations.

Turning the bypass into a proper four lane highway will only encourage sprawl and incentivize people to live further away from where they work.
When I’m heading from Cornwall to Stratford or back I usually cut through town because, depending on the time of day, the bypass takes along. Maybe I’m missing the point of the bypass.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 8:04 PM

Quote:
When I’m heading from Cornwall to Stratford or back I usually cut through town because, depending on the time of day, the bypass takes along. Maybe I’m missing the point of the bypass.
If the bypass had no traffic lights, you wouldn’t have to do that. I also don’t see how that could save you any time by cutting through Charlottetown.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
If the bypass had no traffic lights, you wouldn’t have to do that. I also don’t see how that could save you any time by cutting through Charlottetown.
If you catch all reds when turning lanes are stacked, the lights add 8-10 minutes. I cut down North River, wrap around downtown to Water Street and head toward the bridge. Maybe it’s not saving me time, but it’s more enjoyable than getting my vehicle up to 70kmh only to stop in 30 seconds and sit for three minutes. The bypass is super frustrating.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
The odd part about this bypass is, when they built the Cornwall bypass, they had no problem considering the overpass design on that section. Now I realize there was more room but why all these different designs. It just doesn't make any sense to me. It's like the bypass is some kind of experiment. Wasting money if you ask me! I said years ago, just built it like everyone else across North America and leave it and all you'll need to do is maintain it. I'm sure there would have been off island engineers that would have been able to come up with a standard design built to fit.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusb View Post
There was a demolition permit issued on the week ending on June 26:

347-DEM-20 | 23-Jun-20 | 24-Jun-20 | APPROVED | 480 University Avenue | Demolition of commercial building | Darrin Dunsford |15-Jul-20

Maybe that has changed.

Fast-fired pizza restaurant reportedly buys former Subway location in Charlottetown

https://www.theguardian.pe.ca/busine...tetown-471991/

Should do well with the new 250 unit residence on UPEI that will be next door.
Iconic Building Demo'd

The once iconic A&W/Subway at University & Belvedere is now gone.
Demo'd to make way for a Blaze Pizza.

Last edited by Siriusb; Sep 25, 2020 at 9:54 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusb View Post
King Kar Site Prep

This is across from the John Yeo Plaza. The site prep is nearly completed with
sewage/water infrastructure in place.

I know King Kar is going on this land (Tim Banks has talked about it), but I am hearing that Kent is building a warehouse in the back corner of this lot next to one of their existing warehouses. It also looks like they're building a road into Kent's lumberyard from this site.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
I know King Kar is going on this land (Tim Banks has talked about it), but I am hearing that Kent is building a warehouse in the back corner of this lot next to one of their existing warehouses. It also looks like they're building a road into Kent's lumberyard from this site.
A permit was issued for that warehouse:

APPROVED
65 Walsh Road Phase I:
New warehouse - foundation only
Jeff Douglas

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 11:26 PM

North Charlottetown Development 2010 & 2020

Here is a comparison of north end Charlottetown's development in 2010 and 2020 around the Minna Jane / John Yeo Dr area.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Makes sense. I know a manager at Kent and they said the Charlottetown store is the busiest in the Maritimes.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1 View Post
Makes sense. I know a manager at Kent and they said the Charlottetown store is the busiest in the Maritimes.
With a new Home Hardware opening in Stratford and Kent the busiest in the Maritimes, and I know that Home Depot is very busy, it is a good sign that the economy and Capital Region is booming.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 2:37 PM

Quote:
I don’t doubt it, there is almost no home improvement stores in Charlottetown. Stratford could probably use one. Cornwall could likely support a small one but it would likely cannibalize the Charlottetown one so it will likely never be built.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 4:07 PM

Quote:
I don’t doubt it, there is almost no home improvement stores in Charlottetown. Stratford could probably use one. Cornwall could likely support a small one but it would likely cannibalize the Charlottetown one so it will likely never be built.
There is all kinds of home improvement stores in charlottetown.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 7:05 PM

Quote:
There is all kinds of home improvement stores in charlottetown.
Not big ones though. Just Home Depot and Kent really. Home hardware isn’t a building centre and you have the Sherwood one (timber mart?) and metro building supplies. Fredericton by comparison has 2 Kent’s, 2 home hardware building centres, and Home Depot.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 10:34 PM

Definitely take this with a grain of salt but I have a friend that works at the big Superstore and he said they're putting a Starbucks inside.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 10:53 PM

A Starbucks opened a few months back in the Smythe Street Superstore in Fredericton.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces