HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 3:52 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
And it isn't like this in the states either.
Disagree. ESPN's coverage, for example, will heavily slant to the Red Sox/Yankees in MLB and whatever team Lebron is playing on in the NBA. Although it's a different sort of bias I don't think you can watch ESPN for ten minutes without hearing or seeing Lebron.

This article from 2008 has some good details, including:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Anne Schreiber
Five summers ago, in ESPN's pre-ombudsman era, the existence of East Coast bias was debated on ESPN.com by several Page 2 columnists, including West Coaster Eric Neel (in the affirmative) and East Coaster Jeff Merron (in the negative). There was a Sports Nation poll, apparently still open (it registered my vote as the 43,094th), indicating widespread belief (70.5 percent) that "media coverage of sports is slanted toward the east."

The first thing I want to note is that complaints about East Coast bias, though still voluminous, are down this summer from last. The slack has been taken up by complaints of East of the Mississippi bias. For every traditional complaint like this one -- "I realize that the Yankees and Red Sox are the only teams the baseball gods truly love, but for the love of Kevin Costner, give the Angels some respect!" -- I get two like this -- "I am sick and tired of seeing only the Cubs on ESPN's baseball coverage. It's either the Red Sox vs. Yankees or the Cubs vs. someone." Or this: "If you're west of the Mississippi, you don't exist."
https://web.archive.org/web/20081013...nne&id=3534299

You can also quite literally see this in the teams that the NHL/NBC select for Winter Classics. It's almost always Chicago/Boston/NYR/Pittsburgh for obvious reasons.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 3:55 AM

Doesn't every region in the States have their own sports channel maybe Fox Sports? Sports net used to do this for years so it was successful but then they blew all their cash on the NHL contract and cut everything outside of Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Marner with the 6th most points, Point with 7th, Draisaitl 12th, and Monahan 14th all didn't make it. The NHL insists on requiring one player from every team which means some deserving players are always going to be snubbed.
I was just going to say the say thing. A downside of having 31 teams is it being hard to fit everyone in. The league could change the guideline of having a player from each team, but I can see why they want it. It's all about ratings only and nothing else. Having an extra guy from Calgary, Toronto, etc...isn't going to increase ratings.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 5:22 AM

Pettersson gets to go to the All-Star game. Whoopi-doo! I would rather see him go into Jedi meditation mode for a couple of days instead, to finish the season strong and win... well whatever.

If he can finish his second half a bit stronger than the first half (like around 90 points), and Canucks make the play-offs, he could get some Hart consideration. That would be phenomenal for a rookie.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 4:22 PM

Come back to earth Logan...

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 4:38 PM

Thumbs up

What a couple of days for Petterson:

First hat trick in the NHL
Named to the All Star game
Named rookie of the month
Not one but two cash bonuses totalling nearly a half million dollars

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 5:13 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Come back to earth Logan...
Yep. McDavid is pulling a feat right now only done by Joe Malone (QUE, 1919-1920), Wayne Gretzky (EDM, 1980-1981; EDM, 1981-1982; EDM, 1984-1985; EDM, 1985-1986) and Mario Lemieux (PIT, 1987-1988; PIT, 1988-1989) in which they were involved in more than 50% of a teams goals. All this on pace for 128 points on the season. We have a handful of other players on trajectory for 120+ point seasons and as high as 135 points. Meanwhile Petersson is on pace for 90 points, which isn't good enough for top 20.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 5:18 PM

Petterson missed a bunch of games due to injury. What is the points per game pace for all of our superstars?
He is also catching up in the total goals race.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 5:20 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Petterson missed a bunch of games due to injury. What is the points per game pace for all of our superstars?
If we gave out awards on points-per-game then we'd be giving out to players who score 15 points in six or seven games....Pettersson ranks 27th in PPG (1.14). Kucherov, McDavid, Rantanen are all above 1.5 points/game.

Pettersson is good, yes, but he's not winning the Hart this year.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 5:31 PM

I don't think he'll win the Hart either because the Canucks don't have a tinny of strong support pieces like some teams do. But the season is still fairly young and Boeser ain't bad either.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 5:38 PM

Quote:
I don't think he'll win the Hart either because the Canucks don't have a tinny of strong support pieces like some teams do. But the season is still fairly young and Boeser ain't bad either.
Hahahaha, strong support pieces, look at the Oilers and see what McDavid is doing.

Peterson kid is good, but come on.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
If we gave out awards on points-per-game then we'd be giving out to players who score 15 points in six or seven games....Pettersson ranks 27th in PPG (1.14). Kucherov, McDavid, Rantanen are all above 1.5 points/game.

Pettersson is good, yes, but he's not winning the Hart this year.
Taylor hall wasn’t the highest scorer last year but still won the Hart, because he was clearly the reason the Devils had success. Pettersson will be in the same boat at the end of the year. Not to the extent of Taylor Hall though. Elliot Friedman all but said he would give Pettersson a vote if the Canucks make the playoffs and he’s leading the team in scoring (which he will if he plays out the rest of thagames). He won’t get any 1st place votes, but if he gets some 5th or 4th place votes, that will be huge accomplishment for a rookie. Auston got no votes in his rookie season. Right now Pettersson is projecting higher than Matthews.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 5:44 PM
Near Generational

Perhaps we should start calling him McPettersson

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 5:44 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Taylor hall wasn’t the highest scorer last year but still won the Hart, because he was clearly the reason the Devils had success. Pettersson will be in the same boat at the end of the year. Not to the extent of Taylor Hall though.
So then this comparison is moot.

Hall literally dragged his team into the playoffs. His % of team points was high, and i'm fairly certain Pettersson isn't doing the same this year.

Quote:
Elliot Friedman all but said he would give Pettersson a vote if the Canucks make the playoffs and he’s leading the team in scoring (which he will if he plays out the rest of thagames).
Lots of if's.

Quote:
He won’t get any 1st place votes, but if he gets some 5th or 4th place votes, that will be huge accomplishment for a rookie. Auston got no votes in his rookie season. Right now Pettersson is projecting higher than Matthews.
This is flat out wrong. In Matthews' rookie year (playing a year younger than Pettersson is now) Matthews received two 3rd votes, one 4th, and four 5ths. He ended up 11th in Hart voting. [Source]

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 5:54 PM

You’re right of course. I was looking at Taylor Halls Hart voting no votes for Auston that year. If Auston got 7 votes, it will be interesting to see how many Pettersson gets.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 5:58 PM

Hall was also top 10 in the league in scoring, Pettersson doesn't even crack the top 30. Pettersson has almost zero chance of winning the Hart, the Flames have 5 guys in the running ahead of him right now, and there is almost zero chance any of them win the Hart trophy. Right now it's between McDavid and Kucherov. If the Oilers make the playoffs McDavid will win it 100%

Like I said before, the kid is good and looks extremely promising, he's just not yet at the level you want him to be Logan. Come back to earth man...

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Hall was also top 10 in the league in scoring, Pettersson doesn't even crack the top 30. Pettersson has almost zero chance of winning the Hart, the Flames have 5 guys in the running ahead of him right now, and there is almost zero chance any of them win the Hart trophy. Right now it's between McDavid and Kucherov. If the Oilers make the playoffs McDavid will win it 100%

Like I said before, the kid is good and looks extremely promising, he's just not yet at the level you want him to be Logan. Come back to earth man...
Sounds like you may not be familiar with how Hart voting works. You can get from a 1st to a 5th place vote. Pettersson could very easily end up with votes of some kind at the end of the year. I didn’t say he was going to win the Hart.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 6:13 PM
arf

Quote:
He is also catching up in the total goals race.
27th in the league for points per game.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you may not be familiar with how Hart voting works. You can get from a 1st to a 5th place vote. Pettersson could very easily end up with votes of some kind at the end of the year. I didn’t say he was going to win the Hart.
For the love of god man, stop this shit! you hinted that he could possibly win the Hart, now everyone with a brain is telling you that won't happen, and then you are saying that you didn't say that he will win. No, you hinted that it's possible, and we are all telling you there is basically no chance. You constantly allude to the possibility of something happening then criticize people who say it won't happen because you claim you didn't explicitly state that was 100% going to happen.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 6:19 PM

Uh... ok. I said he would get some Hart consideration as in some 4 th or 5 th place votes. Show me where I said he could win the Hart and I will gladly retract that statement.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada