HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

1000M in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
It said $1 per sq foot as I recall. That's in line with what other luxury condos charge for HOA. You always pay a lot for amenities you don't use in these kind of buildings. Except the part-time residents in the International Collection probably actually will USE them because they won't establish as much of life in Chicago as fulltime residents. They also aren't paying that much as a result of the small size of their condos. It adds up for fulltime residents in larger places, for sure.
I find that to be hard to believe unless they have difficulty maintaining the quality of everything they provide, or if they are overrating what they are providing with fancy words but minimal input (such as the music and kitchen spaces). Also, that is super high, your average person would be paying 1000 or more just on that. Basically have two mortgages at that point

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Remember a few weeks ago when this thing was canceled?
I don't want us jinxing anything ... before caissons are in the ground I'm not believing anything coming from their team. It's not "dead" like had been said a couple pages back, but they are definitely lying about their numbers and what they've sold(which nothing is sold at this point, just on contract), because we know they weren't the best sellers. If the project was doing well, this International Collection wouldn't even exist. It actually makes me more worried as a Hail Mary. If this fails then I've lost hope. The fact they could use the entirety of floors 42-49 for this is concerning in its own right. 8 floors with no sales? Oof

Fingers crossed we get this bad boy though, big ole gap in the skyline down there!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 1:55 AM
BANNED

Exclamation

If this one is eventually completed as stated it is going to make the skyline south loop not step down in height.

It's 832 FT | 76 FLOORS although not as good as its first iteration this building could actually lift the elevations on the 78. BTW if 832 feet is too short for you the Twin Cites are calling and wanting this one.

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...in_Minneapolis

The tallest building in Minneapolis is the 57-story IDS Tower, which rises 792 feet (241 m) and was designed by architect Philip Johnson. The tower has been the tallest building in the state of Minnesota since its completion in 1973,

Too me this is an important building in an important place that may have more effect on the scale and overall transitions of height in the 78 perhaps being taller on the north end and going lower the further south.

The West Loop and the South Loop buildings in the last 20 years, would make most of the rest of the other cities dream about buildings like this, except NYC and a few others.

This 78 could be the most important part of the newer Chicago in the next 20 years if done right.

The total skyline is impressive coming in on the Kennedy or the Metra from the lake shore buildings from Rodgers park to the McCormack place.

Eventually if the south lake front could be converted to modern similar apartments from the south loop all the way to Hyde park some day would be awesome.

But...

It will never be Lincoln Park...

If the said area were developed the people living there would have to go north to the loop and a long Redline north to the kool places in the city, or venture once in a while in Hyde Park that would be closer. The commute times would be shorter from the same difference in miles from the core downtown from the south and would even be less expensive on rent vs the north Chicago shore towers. It makes a hell of a lot of more sense building organically as needed along the south lakefront vs the mega Spanish development plan for the gigantic USS steel plant land on the boarder of Indiana that eventually the backers backed out on.

In the long term, measured in Decades perhaps capping some of the tracks and having people new to the area could create and extended their community further west like the north did.

Last edited by bnk; Feb 7, 2019 at 2:07 AM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
I find that to be hard to believe unless they have difficulty maintaining the quality of everything they provide, or if they are overrating what they are providing with fancy words but minimal input (such as the music and kitchen spaces). Also, that is super high, your average person would be paying 1000 or more just on that. Basically have two mortgages at that point
Well, I don't live in Chicago anymore. But in Philly, condo fees run around $1 per square foot in the top luxury buildings with similar amenities. Like these ones: https://www.thelaurelrittenhouse.com/gallery/ http://500walnut.net/ And Chicago generally has higher real estate prices. I get that this is not quite the upper echelon of the city's buildings, but I'd think condo fees would have to run at least that in the most expensive condo buildings in Chicago.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I don't think these numbers are so ridiculous. They work for someone who is well-off and who maybe spends a week a month in Chicago for work. I do something similar in DC. Also, some companies I've worked at will do this for executives who travel to a location that's not their primary home with some frequency. The purchase price is not that much for a company, whether mortgaged or paid outright, and condo fees are a lot less than 7 days a month in a hotel. And it's an asset that can eventually be sold as needed or desired. The question is how many such people exist that there is a market for this in Chicago? In New York or DC, there is a market for this.
There is a market in Chicago for this. Whether it's suburbanites who want a crash pad or like you mention. I know multiple people from the suburbs of Chicago who have crashpads downtown. Even other situations - I have a semi distant cousin who went to SAIC and her father (also my cousin - who is pretty well off) bought her a condo downtown to stay in. He still owns it and I think he just uses it as investment property and probably uses it as an option to stay when visiting town (though he usually stays at Four Seasons, Waldorf, etc). He lives on the west coast.

Also the business travel thing isn't even only for executives. They can also use it for consultants on long term travel assignments and probably re-use. There are some companies who do this, and honestly it's more cost effective. I traveled on business to NYC for 2.5 years (before moving here) pretty much every week. My hotel bills alone were at least $80,000 per year, no joke. I think one year I racked up close to or over $100,000 in hotel costs for myself. My company used to get apartments for people like me, but a few years prior they stopped it and just did the hotel thing. Other firms I worked with had consultants like me do the apartment thing.

Guarantee there's a market for things like this.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 4:00 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Nice fluff piece in the Tribune today:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/class...217-story.html

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 5:21 AM
Winnipeg

Amazing project.

P.S. For a second I thought it was actually 1000m

Last edited by EspionNoir; Feb 9, 2019 at 5:33 AM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 10:29 PM

I hate to bump this thread but I think some more new info has shown up... on the website, it looks like McHugh and John Buck Company have been brought on to the team... that's news to me and also seems like even more clues towards a nearing groundbreaking. Also, on their (1000m) Instagram, they said ground will break later this year. But we already knew that and we also know what they've said in the past regarding groundbreaking. That being said things are definitely lining up more and more to suggest that this time they may actually be ready. Since its McHugh now, maybe after NEMA or Vista reach substantial completion?

https://1000southmichigan.com/vision/ (scroll down a bit)

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
I hate to bump this thread but I think some more new info has shown up... on the website, it looks like McHugh and John Buck Company have been brought on to the team... that's news to me and also seems like even more clues towards a nearing groundbreaking. Also, on their (1000m) Instagram, they said ground will break later this year. But we already knew that and we also know what they've said in the past regarding groundbreaking. That being said things are definitely lining up more and more to suggest that this time they may actually be ready. Since its McHugh now, maybe after NEMA or Vista reach substantial completion?

https://1000southmichigan.com/vision/ (scroll down a bit)
any contractors have insight on this???? I do not personally. But I'm pretty sure it'll go with the high end apartment and condo shortage coming due to the aro boom. usually if your gc is already selected its just a matter of grabbing the construction loan.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourstrooper View Post
any contractors have insight on this???? I do not personally. But I'm pretty sure it'll go with the high end apartment and condo shortage coming due to the aro boom. usually if your gc is already selected its just a matter of grabbing the construction loan.
Then it means very little, because last time we checked, their sales were horrid, meaning the odds of them securing financing is still up in the air. The start date went from first quarter 2019, to second quarter 2019, to "later in 2019"... I'd just like them to put forth some transparency on how their sales have gone with the addition of this "International Collection" lol

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Then it means very little, because last time we checked, their sales were horrid, meaning the odds of them securing financing is still up in the air. The start date went from first quarter 2019, to second quarter 2019, to "later in 2019"... I'd just like them to put forth some transparency on how their sales have gone with the addition of this "International Collection" lol
I think once nema finishes this will get a lot more attention if it hasn't started by then.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 2:57 AM
Urbane observer

NEMA is rental; this is condo. Hard to see any connection.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 2:51 PM

If John Buck has actually joined the team that greatly increases the odds of this little project getting built. The original development team didn't really have the chops, but when JBC is involved in a project it always gets built eventually.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 3:23 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
If John Buck has actually joined the team that greatly increases the odds of this little project getting built. The original development team didn't really have the chops, but when JBC is involved in a project it always gets built eventually.
true.

JBC coming aboard does give this development considerably more legitimacy.

i had been filing this one away as "extreme longshot", but now it's more like "well shit, it might actually get built".

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 3:31 PM
BANNED

Considering the legitimacy of JBC, and the quality of their work, maybe they throw out the current design and opt for the original.

A guy can dream!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Considering the legitimacy of JBC, and the quality of their work, maybe they throw out the current design and opt for the original.

A guy can dream!
You have link to current rendering?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 4:39 PM
BANNED

^ Thanks to our awesome contributors, page one of just about every Chicago thread has the latest renderings, 'dude.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 6:18 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^ Thanks to our awesome contributors, page one of just about every Chicago thread has the latest renderings, 'dude.
The images on page one of this thread don't show up for me.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 6:25 PM
DENNAB

That's good news I guess, I was wondering about this project the other day.

When is NEMA II supposed to start? If they could be u/c simultaneously that'd be awesome

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 9:12 PM

JBC has been involved in this project for over two years as a local owner's rep as the developer is from New York. Lendlease was originally hired on as the pre-construction manager but lost that role to McHugh about 18 months ago. The project has been condos from day 1 and they've been in pre-sales for over a year and a half but have not hit the minimums. I haven't read the PD (if there is one) but if they were to revise the PD now to allow apartments, they might get hit with a huge ARO change that they didn't need to comply with given current approval status.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction