HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 3:30 AM

My friends and I went to check out the Ion LRT system in Kitchener-Waterloo today. It was awesome to see what a progressive city can do with smart infrastructure and a vision for a better city. New developments, even new office buildings, and beautiful public squares.

I am more excited than ever for Hamilton's LRT. Knowing that each LRT stop can be it's own central meeting spot with density, commercial and walking distance rapid transit to the core makes me very optimistic for Hamilton's future. I wish this were already done in Hamilton so we could see the affects, and be advocating for the next steps already. Hamilton will be well suited to LRT, I can tell already.

My goal is to improve my community, the transit we use to get around it, and the health and happiness of everyone in it, and I realize these are all interconnected.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 2:32 PM

Early Works Construction Begins for Hamilton LRT

Pipeline Replacement at Queenston Traffic Circle

What Work is Taking Place
  • In preparation for Hamilton LRT major construction, Trans Northern Pipelines Inc. (TNPI) must upgrade a section of their pipeline crossing the LRT corridor at the Queenston Traffic Circle.
  • A staging area will be located on Metrolinx-owned property, 75 Queenston Road.

Timing
  • Construction is scheduled to begin October 15, with expected completion by late Decemeber.
  • Work will be conducted Monday through Friday, between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
  • Work may be rescheduled due to weather or unforeseen circumstances.
What to Expect
  • Some noise associated with construction activity
  • Traffic pattern changes on Queenston Road throughout phased construction activity

Traffic Details
  • Lane restrictions will begin October 15, and conclude at the completion of work.
  • Phased lane closures will occur on Queenston Road between Craigroyston Road and Berry Avenue. One lane of traffic will remain open in each direction.
  • The Queenston-facing entry into Tim Hortons will be closed in phases during the work. The Cochrane Street entrance will remain open. No other driveways or accesses will be impacted by this work.
  • HSR transit service will be maintained, but bus stops may move temporarily to accommodate this work.
  • Sidewalk closures and temporary pedestrian bypasses will take place in stages throughout the work. Please follow all signage and cross only at designated crossing areas.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/greaterr...2019_FINAL.pdf

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 5:48 PM

Spec Article
https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9...s-in-east-end/

Hey LRT watchers: visible work in the east end has finally begun to prepare for Hamilton's planned light rail transit line.
The two-month project involves moving a section of oil pipeline that crosses Queenston Road along the hydro corridor to "make some room" between underground utilities and the eventual LRT tracks, which require a deeper roadbed, said the city's LRT project head Kris Jacobson.

Trans Northern Pipelines construction crews have set up a staging area on the demolished Motor City Hotel site and drivers can expect lane restrictions on Queenston Road until late December.

Jacobson said the pre-construction work represents a visible "milestone" for a project that has a lot of activity going on but almost exclusively behind the scenes.

Three consortiums are working on detailed bids to build and run the $1-billion, 14-kilometre transit line between McMaster University and Eastgate Square, with results expected next spring.

A contract award would likely come in the fall assuming the controversial and oft-delayed project survives a final council vote on an operations agreement.

All that means major construction such as digging up King, Main and Queenston and adding new LRT tracks will likely not begin before 2021.

If you're searching for other visible proof the project is actually happening, the next milestone should be destruction, rather than construction.

Metrolinx has purchased nearly two-thirds of the 90 buildings it needs along the Main-King corridor for the project. Some of those are expected to be demolished this fall.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 12:13 AM
It's Hammer Time

Pedestrians favoured 'over all other users' in new LRT design plans
There won't be left turning lanes at four major intersections along King St

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...igns-1.5383116

Hamilton's billion dollar light-rail transit (LRT) project now includes fewer lanes for drivers, shorter crosswalks, and changes near Tim Hortons Field in its latest designs to "favour pedestrians over of all other users."

The design changes for the King St. route were presented to the city's general issues committee on Wednesday, including a "user hierarchy" that placed pedestrians at the top and through traffic, of cars and trucks, at the bottom.

Kris Jacobson, director of the LRT project office with the city, said that new designs proposed cuts of almost "70 per cent" to some lanes along the corridor.

"Our thoughts on road design are moving away from moving cars to moving people," said Jacobson.

"We're starting to take this new philosophy when it comes to road design, focusing on what moves more people better and who do we need to protect more."

Other updates on the project included that Metrolinx has now acquired two thirds of the 90 properties needed, which means two properties have been purchased since May, when 58 were listed as purchased. It's spent $162 million on the LRT project, including $80 million on property. The update presented to council said that Metrolinx had committed another $22 million.

The project schedule remains unchanged, with bid submissions expected in spring 2020.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 3:39 PM

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 3:58 PM

It's mentioned in the project update that demolitions of purchased properties will begin in the new year.

Properties where the purchase has been completed have been boarded up with painted plywood.

Vacant Houses on LRT Property by Joe, on Flickr

Vacant Dunena Apartments (built 1931) on LRT Property by Joe, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 4:46 PM

Are they demolishing the apartment in that last picture???

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Are they demolishing the apartment in that last picture???
Unfortunately yes. This is the only building that really kills me. Even if they need an inch they need to demolish the whole building. I wish there was something else they could do though. It's nice density with beautiful architecture. It will be unlikely to be replaced with something of equivalent beauty.

My goal is to improve my community, the transit we use to get around it, and the health and happiness of everyone in it, and I realize these are all interconnected.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 5:52 PM
Hammer'd

ugh. losing that apartment building is tragic.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
ugh. losing that apartment building is tragic.
It is too bad.. a parkette would be nice there instead too.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 3:39 PM

LRT in trouble?

Surprise provincial announcement looms amid rising project budget concerns

Politicians are hearing budget woes for the $1 billion light rail line are the reason for an announcement by Transportation Minister Caroline Mulroney this afternoon.

10:26 AM by Matthew Van Dongen The Hamilton Spectator

Ontario's transportation minister will make an unanticipated announcement in Hamilton today amid rising concerns the city's star-crossed LRT project is overbudget.

No provincial officials would publicly confirm ahead of time what Minister Caroline Mulroney's 2 p.m. announcement will be about.

But senior officials in the provincial government, speaking on condition of anonymity in order to discuss matters not yet being made public, said the Hamilton LRT project is being threatened due to the previous Liberal government's spending estimates.

"The financials the Libs were projecting were billions off and they knew it," a high-ranking Progressive Conservative insider said Monday morning.

Some city councillors also said they were privately being warned Monday morning that "major budget issues" were threatening the current plan for the 14-kilometre light rail transit line that is designed, built and run by a private consortium.

The Spectator obtained political briefing notes as far back as January that warned project costs had spiked and would exceed the $1-billion provincial commitment, in part as a result of the late decision to extend the line to Eastgate Square.

Speaking to CHML radio host Bill Kelly Monday morning, Mayor Fred Eisenberger said he hopes to meet with Transportation Minister Caroline Mulroney before the afternoon announcement.

"It sounds like the die has been cast unfortunately," he said.

Eisenberger questions how the province could come to a final financial determination without going through the full RFP process, which is currently in the works.

"It makes no sense to me," Eisenberger said, before adding: "This government has had a habit of making announcements that don't make sense."

More to come.

with files from Robert Benzie, Toronto Star.

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9...dget-concerns/

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 4:14 PM
It's Hammer Time

What now?! ugh

Lemme guess, end at Ottawa St instead of Eastgate.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 6:43 PM

Hopefully we can get some money off the feds. At least Tassi is higher up than Bratina. Although if it comes in at 3 billion ouch.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 6:49 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

I think 3 billion. you need a new bridge over the 403. Fred should be looking to get funding for a promise, he also made in the election. Fred has to go.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 6:52 PM

when it cost me 8K to cement my three car driveway. What would an entire bridge over the 403 cost. Should be on Main Street.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 7:01 PM

If all else fails at least we get to keep this.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 7:05 PM

anxiously waiting Mulroney's presser at 230. I got a Christmas card from her. Now the LRT is death bc Fred can't stand up.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 7:33 PM
It's Hammer Time

The hell, at the last moment they took away the podium. Cancelled the annoucement?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 7:40 PM
It's Hammer Time

Looks like Mulroney was too chicken shit to announce that there will be no provincial funding for the LRT.

Looks like 40 or so employees got the pink slip, Merry Christmas from Doug Ford.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 7:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

No provincial money for LRT, mayor calls move a "betrayal" of Hamilton
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...ment-1.5397519

The province has pulled funding for Hamilton's light-rail transit system, according to mayor Fred Eisenberger.

The mayor told reporters the announcement came as a surprise and he only met with the province about an hour before transportation minister Caroline Mulroney was supposed to announce the decision.

That update did not happen at its scheduled time of 2:30 p.m.

Eisenberger said he was told the province has estimates showing the cost of the project is "higher than expected" and that Ontario won't be paying the $1 billion it pledged.

"In my view that's a betrayal of the city of Hamilton," said the mayor. "That is not working in good faith with a partner."

He added three international bidders vying for the project have been told to "park their pens" and about 40 employees being funded by Metrolinx will be told they no longer have a job just before Christmas.

"In my mind it says the province isn't open for business, they're looking to close down businesses across the province," said Eisenberger.

A large crowd, including the mayor, members of council, business owners and representatives of Environment Hamilton gathered at Sheraton Hotel ahead of the announcement.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure