HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
They may do a Toronto where the facade is held up, but the structure behind is removed, but honestly that is a lot of work and money. I don't see Hamilton getting treatment like that.
Then why bother?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 12:32 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
It's not totally clear if it's going to be demolished, or the brickwork transferred to the new facade. But yes, the structure behind the brick will be no more.
It's 100% confirmed that it will be demolished. The facade will not be held up like you see on many Toronto projects, and they're not reusing the bricks.

The brick portion of the facade when this one hopefully gets built will be the same style as the existing facade, but it won't be an exact recreation, and is instead provided as a way to pay homage to the existing structure.

The lack of structural integrity was the main driver behind the change from retention to replacement, but it was further determined that a replacement would make the ground floor commercial spaces more accessible.

The part I find most disappointing is the pointless daylight triangle they've had to include as part of a replacement. It looks silly, and kills the ability to have the entire podium pay homage to the previous building.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 6:13 PM

Image from Coletara posted in another thread. This does not include the four towers proposed along King between Bay and Caroline. Very exciting perspective!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 9:34 PM
Ham-burgher

All after decades of very little change.

Until Vranich's towers between Caroline and Bay were built what was the last "tallish" building that went up? The condo at Caroline and Jackson, back in the 1990s? And that one is blocked from view by older apartment towers, from several angles. It looks really puny in that render.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 9:50 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
Image from Coletara posted in another thread. This does not include the four towers proposed along King between Bay and Caroline. Very exciting perspective!

This will be quite an impressive canyon when driving down Main even a nice canyon coming along on King. So excited for our downtown!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
This will be quite an impressive canyon when driving down Main even a nice canyon coming along on King. So excited for our downtown!
It will be, at least to drive through. Canyons tend to be dark, windy and noisy, however, so we'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

Overall, good news.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 1:18 AM

Last edited by Larch; Apr 28, 2022 at 6:08 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 1:42 PM

I'm super excited to see Cobalt rise behind those older buildings. I think that development is going to fundamentally change the core, and attract other developments like it. Hamilton is finally breaking through.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 6:07 PM
Burger Connoisseur

So awesome, love your work Larch!

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 5:10 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
I'm super excited to see Cobalt rise behind those older buildings. I think that development is going to fundamentally change the core, and attract other developments like it. Hamilton is finally breaking through.
Still SUPER disappointed with the front facing building on king of the building though - its super bland on a historic architectural stretch - just feels so.. bland.. they should have been required to do something authentic like core urban did with the building next door..

I mean,. the connaught understood, their new skyscraper has a traditional podium to match its surroundings..

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 10:33 PM

Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've last done an update (I have been pretty busy with work), but I've been slowly working on a few of them and have the next version of Hamilton ready. I have added a few new developments (101 Hunter East, 117 Jackson East, 231 Main West) and updated the massing of some of the older ones. I have also started tracking my list in a Google Sheet, I have attached the hyperlink.

As always, I hope that you all enjoy!

The list so far:

Google Sheets List of Hamilton Developments

Total # of new towers in skyline: 58

Hamilton Watermarked V8-1 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Hamilton Watermarked V8-2 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Hamilton Watermarked V8-3 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Hamilton Watermarked V8-4 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Hamilton Watermarked V8-5 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Last edited by ericmacm; Aug 28, 2021 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 10:56 PM
Ham-burgher

Nice!

Hope you don't mind that I shared this on the Canada forum. Seems there's been a bit of to-do about that future skyline thread being all about Toronto.

EDIT: but about that height limit, City of #HamOnt...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Nice!

Hope you don't mind that I shared this on the Canada forum. Seems there's been a bit of to-do about that future skyline thread being all about Toronto.

EDIT: but about that height limit, City of #HamOnt...
I don't mind - I've been browsing that thread and I can say that I was partially motivated by it, haha. I've been doing the best I can to produce a variety of skylines across the country, but I unfortunately would never be able to keep up with the Toronto modellers on sheer amount of posts on the main Canada thread.

The height limit is truly unfortunate, but I still remain optimistic that it won't last far into the future and Hamilton's skyline won't be stunted permanently. There are still plenty of parking lots to fill.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 12:01 PM
Burger Connoisseur

These are so awesome once again thank you for making these! It really puts things into perspective just how fast the skyline is changing. I'm really excited to see what the next wave of LRT proposals will bring once shovels for the LRT are in the ground. I believe that's when we will see some true modern skyscrapers try to breakthrough that glass ceiling height limit!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 4:23 PM

Always look forward to these updates, it's really to starting to look different. Well done.

One thing unrelated I noticed is the lack of a tree canopy north of King and let's say east of Wellington. Compared to East or West of this junction.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 5:13 PM

Curious Eric, do you use a paid version of SketchUp to get the models into Google earth? I was interested in potentially looking into rebuilding York Blvd or the inner streets of Jackson Square as a 3D model. It may be too much work for me, but I'd be interested in giving it a try, but I'm not amazing with SketchUp.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Curious Eric, do you use a paid version of SketchUp to get the models into Google earth? I was interested in potentially looking into rebuilding York Blvd or the inner streets of Jackson Square as a 3D model. It may be too much work for me, but I'd be interested in giving it a try, but I'm not amazing with SketchUp.
The older software versions of free sketchup allowed google earth uploads, the new browser based versions don't. Luckily the older versions are still available for download..

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 9:50 PM

Figured this shot would be appreciated in this thread. An angle of the city that doesn't usually get much love.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton