HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 8:38 PM

I believe there was a meeting last night hosted by the Stinson Community Association to discuss the project with the developer. I was unable to attend, but one of my neighbours was planning to be there. I will ask about the meeting when I next see my neighbour.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 4:10 PM

So, I'm not entirely for this project, but I'm not nearly as against it as some of my neighbours... Anyway, here's an image that's been done up to show the scale of it within the escarpment:

(My concerns are mostly around the effect the development will have on the rail trail, but a lot of people seem to be against the idea of any sort of development in the area whatsoever)

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 4:30 PM

I would think so. The old bowling alley structure has been torn down.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
So, I'm not entirely for this project, but I'm not nearly as against it as some of my neighbours... Anyway, here's an image that's been done up to show the scale of it within the escarpment:

(My concerns are mostly around the effect the development will have on the rail trail, but a lot of people seem to be against the idea of any sort of development in the area whatsoever)
If this is to move forward, work needs to be done to Charlton to improve pedestrian access. There should be a sidewalk on the south side running east from the site to Victoria, and the developer should be putting it in as part of the condition for approving rezoning for this redevelopment.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 7:25 PM

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 9:14 PM

IMHO, great concept, and will do well based on unique location. Loose the metal railings and go glass.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 9:58 PM
Hammer'd

Thats actually pretty awesome.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 10:18 PM

Nice development. If anything, this will deter people from dumping garbage along the trail.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 12:19 AM

It looks similar to some projects done in Dundas over the past decade or so. Not bad.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 2:36 AM
Ham-burgher

Looks good.

Is there still opposition to this?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 7:30 AM
Concerned Citizen

It looks like the planning committee at city hall has approved this project as proposed.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...rdle-1.2734797

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 10:20 AM

I can't for the life of me understand why people are so against this development. That neighbourhood is dotted with awful looking 50 & 60's midrise buildings that everyone has apparently forgotten about while protesting this.

It seems pretty tasteful to me, and I don't think it's that imposing on the landscape.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
I can't for the life of me understand why people are so against this development. That neighbourhood is dotted with awful looking 50 & 60's midrise buildings that everyone has apparently forgotten about while protesting this.

It seems pretty tasteful to me, and I don't think it's that imposing on the landscape.
It's the impact to the escarpment & rail trail that most people are worried about, combined with the sound barrier that will be going up behind the site that will just echo the train noises into the neighbourhood.

Keep in mind that Charlton is about two stories higher than the rest of the neighbourhood, so while there are other 4, 5, 6 storey buildings, this will still certainly "stick out" visually against the mountain. From within the neighbourhood right now, when you look at the mountain, you see a wall of green; It's gorgeous. Once this is built, that will be gone.

I'm certainly conflicted... I like increased density, increased tax base, all that good stuff... but when there's a moratorium on building on the escarpment brow, it seems kinda strange that it's fine to build *in* the escarpment...

(Also, I'm concerned about slope stability... apparently it's fine according to the engineering reports, so I should really just trust the experts, but isn't that whole area covered-over waste?)

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 2:25 PM

I'm just having a hard time processing why it's so important. I get that the view is beautiful, but our escarpment is already sliced up with mountain accesses and other apartments.

I understand why people are concerned, but I don't like this idea of "We need more development! JUST NOT HERE OR HERE OR HERE OR THIS HIGH OR HERE"

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
...I understand why people are concerned, but I don't like this idea of "We need more development! JUST NOT HERE OR HERE OR HERE OR THIS HIGH OR HERE"
Have a look at this article at Raise the Hammer. Interesting perspective.

http://raisethehammer.org/article/22...on_development

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
It's the impact to the escarpment & rail trail that most people are worried about, combined with the sound barrier that will be going up behind the site that will just echo the train noises into the neighbourhood.

Keep in mind that Charlton is about two stories higher than the rest of the neighbourhood, so while there are other 4, 5, 6 storey buildings, this will still certainly "stick out" visually against the mountain. From within the neighbourhood right now, when you look at the mountain, you see a wall of green; It's gorgeous. Once this is built, that will be gone.

I'm certainly conflicted... I like increased density, increased tax base, all that good stuff... but when there's a moratorium on building on the escarpment brow, it seems kinda strange that it's fine to build *in* the escarpment...

(Also, I'm concerned about slope stability... apparently it's fine according to the engineering reports, so I should really just trust the experts, but isn't that whole area covered-over waste?)
Urban infill like The Corktowns and the project at Catherine and Young would be much more appropriate here.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
It looks like the planning committee at city hall has approved this project as proposed.
CBC:" The developer has also asked for the city to share some costs connected to infrastructure and city services like water and sidewalks. That request was not part of Tuesday's zoning decision; any such arrangement would be something the city would decide later."

Aaaah...no thanks. That's on you, Mr. Developer. Especially since you're planning to add back a storey, when the all-knowing City Hall planners said fcuk you to the Niagara Escarpment Commission.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 4:23 PM

I'm not opposed to buildings in this place, in fact I rather like the idea of building on this brownfield site. I just wish that the design was a little nicer for such a visible and prime location. These things are only a step away from generic commie boxes. Too bad Frank Lloyd Wright isn't available.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 11:23 PM

New renderings...

Source

three six-storey buildings (developer's preferred height):

Source

one five-storey and two six-storey buildings (planning staff's recommended height):

Source

Source

Source

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 10:03 PM

Looks like this is off to the OMB. As reported on CBC's Hamilton website:

Quote:
A controversial condo project proposed for Charlton Ave. East hit a roadblock Thursday as the  Niagara Escarpment Commission decided the project is still too intrusive on escarpment views.

The NEC voted Thursday to appeal the city’s September decision to rezone the land in order to allow the project to be built.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...lock-1.2804048

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton