HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 4:07 AM

I'm very excited to see this get started. This spot especially feels incredibly empty right now, and even with a hole in the ground it'll feel like it's on its way to something better.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 4:10 PM

Nice and expansive this build is (yoda), taking up two city blocks and poof!, no more parking lot. Goodbye ugly Marquee wall

Not a lot of quality going up, but this, KIWI and CoreUrban's project on Augusta give me glimmers of hope.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Nice and expansive this build is (yoda), taking up two city blocks and poof!, no more parking lot. Goodbye ugly Marquee wall

Not a lot of quality going up, but this, KIWI and CoreUrban's project on Augusta give me glimmers of hope.
I believe the Marquee wall will still be fully visible even after this is built. There is another proposal however at the corner of King and Caroline that will block it. But who knows when that will actually be built.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 5:11 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
I believe the Marquee wall will still be fully visible even after this is built. There is another proposal however at the corner of King and Caroline that will block it. But who knows when that will actually be built.
Ah yes the green one with the pointy corner top - it would be nice if that one was built - add some nice variation of colours to this area - the buildings next to it look so drab now in colour all those beiges and greys

I am liking the trend though of the curved balconies and transition curve designs some of the new designs are incorporating though - something to break up the bleghness of just regular modular design. The george st building looks GREAT from a distance!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 12:23 AM
Forever forward.

Pursuant to pictures of the signage below, does anyone know in what manner SRM Architects are involved? Concerning, to say the least...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 2:18 PM

Taken this morning :

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 2:39 PM

Glad they're working right away on this. Compare this to the closure of Cannon and Bay where the city hasn't moved a finger after closing the parking lot April 1st.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 7:05 PM

They ripped up part of the sidewalk on Bay Street side, unsure why, perhaps underground wires? It seems there was a long line of something underground across the entire property.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 8:44 PM

My phone camera is kind of bad quality. But the daycare on George St has a deck of sorts where kids were watching the construction workers.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 5:05 PM

What looks to be shoring equipment showed up today. Looks like excavation may be imminent.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 6:15 PM
Ham-burgher

Hallelujah!

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 8:56 PM

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 9:28 PM
It's Hammer Time

McMaster Graduate Student Residence | ? | 31 fl & 10 fl | Proposed -> McMaster Graduate Student Residence | ? | 31 fl & 10 fl | Under Construction

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 9:36 PM

SRM is likely the construction administration architect overseeing construction. Not unusual for a local architect to act in this capacity as the cost of having it administered out of toronto can be quite high, plus a developer can save cash by paying a cheaper architect to do it than paying the big fees of a big architect.

Material selection and design is still the responsibility of the design architect, but the local will do things like specific construction assemblies, oversee contractors implementation of plans, etc.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 12:17 AM

Anyone know if this has below grade parking? That will really determine how long we have to wait for this to get above grade level. If it's just a level or two below it will be much quicker.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 12:52 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Anyone know if this has below grade parking? That will really determine how long we have to wait for this to get above grade level. If it's just a level or two below it will be much quicker.
It has two levels, but they're on a slant and as such they're only going down at most 4.5 metres. Should not take too long.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 12:57 AM

those renders are pretty nice.. especially for a student residence.
This looks like a solid addition for Hamilton.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 1:00 AM

That stretch of King has so much potential. With these new developments, the LRT and the trees that line the street. It really has the potential to be a trendy little area.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 4:34 AM
Forever forward.

Hopefully shoring machines show up tomorrow or later this week now that the beams are on site. From this afternoon:

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 4:37 PM

Still can't find any permits in review or issued for this property "10 Bay" or other property numbers this site has had as parking lots?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton