HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
City-centric news shows happen all across the country. Here in Calgary they are supposed to be for Southern Alberta but in reality you'll never hear about the small(er) towns and cities. And even in a city of 1.2 million + they still talk about the latest dog attacks and other minor things nobody really cares about.
That's great and all but if my memory serves the Global station in Calgary is called "Global Calgary"... Ours is "Global Maritimes".

It's fine to cover Halifax a bit more than the rest of us, sure, it is the biggest population centre, but don't open up a Maritime morning show with "good morning, Halifax!" - that's a bit too far, don't you think? It just alienates the rest of your viewership that aren't Haligonians

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 9:53 PM

I would much rather listen to a show that at least talks about Halifax, unlike our friends at CTV who seem to believe that the sun shines out of Moncton and NB in general. I gave up on watching their news a long time ago. Global Halifax is about Halifax, and that is fine with me.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnEh View Post
That's great and all but if my memory serves the Global station in Calgary is called "Global Calgary"... Ours is "Global Maritimes".

It's fine to cover Halifax a bit more than the rest of us, sure, it is the biggest population centre, but don't open up a Maritime morning show with "good morning, Halifax!" - that's a bit too far, don't you think? It just alienates the rest of your viewership that aren't Haligonians
If they change the logo to Global Halifax, than you guys would bitch cause its not called Global Maritimes... Can't win.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
I actually think its an excellent program, they are not trying to do the CTV thing and cater to every little town in the maritimes.

Most morning news programs are focused on a city not a region. They give weather and traffic for the largest population centre. There is approx. 600,000 people that are interested in what is happening in Halifax as many people commute to work to Halifax from Truro, New Minas, Bridgewater etc.

The Global morning news seems so much more professional that CTV morning live.

Halifax is out growing the rest of the region in terms of absolute population so expect more things to become Halifax centric in the future...
I totally agree. They are doing an excellent job and have already blown the CTV program into the weeds. The level of focus and professionalism as compared to the endless cute animal YouTube videos and general buffoonery on the CTV show is absolutely refreshing.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 11:03 PM

Winnipeg has the same morning shows as Halifax does now (Global and CTV). The global one is on par with Halifax, but the Winnipeg CTV show is light years ahead of the CTV Atlantic show which actually has a larger potential audience (shown in all four atlantic provinces) than Winnipeg. http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/video?cli...ylistPageNum=1

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
If they change the logo to Global Halifax, than you guys would bitch cause its not called Global Maritimes... Can't win.
Try losing the bias and think about what I'm saying from the position of somebody on the outside who doesn't give a crap about crosswalks in Halifax

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 11:32 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I'm sure they'll do a story on crosswalks in New Brunswick when you guys get one.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Try losing the bias and think about what I'm saying from the position of somebody on the outside who doesn't give a crap about crosswalks in Halifax
The fact is Halifax is bigger, Nova Scotia is bigger therefore we have more news and more interesting news stories.

There isn't a lot of exciting news coming out of the rest of the maritimes, and when there is they cover it.

This 3 hour Global morning news show is focusing on Halifax, and will likely do better in the ratings because of it. You're never going to please everybody if you try and do a show about all of the maritimes. I don't even think Global has a reporter in P.E.I.

Also remember this is an ENGLISH tv program and New Brunswick only has about 66% of the population who's mother tongue is english.

Last edited by q12; Jan 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 12:30 AM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Quoted for truth.

If you don't like it, don't watch it. Simple as that.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Everywhere else in the country, Global stations are named after the dominant city, not the region. Global Maritimes is the only station named as such; perhaps it would be more honest to just call it "Global Halifax". The fact is that Global likes to focus on the cities, and while someone from Yarmouth, or Saint John, or the Acadian Peninsula might not care about what's happening in Halifax, the average Haligonian probably cares even less about what's happening in Yarmouth, or Saint John, or the Acadian Peninsula. I'm not trying to say that we're "better" or "more important" or "more deserving of being on the news", it's just that their target audience is more likely to be interested in what's going on in Halifax than they are to be interested in what's going on anywhere else in the Maritimes.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualman57 View Post
I would much rather listen to a show that at least talks about Halifax, unlike our friends at CTV who seem to believe that the sun shines out of Moncton and NB in general. I gave up on watching their news a long time ago. Global Halifax is about Halifax, and that is fine with me.
THIS!!

Global may have a Hali bias, but CTV sure seems to be New Brunswick centered.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 4:37 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby074 View Post
THIS!!Global may have a Hali bias, but CTV sure seems to be New Brunswick centered.
I would say that CTV at least tries to be balanced and realizes that only 22% of the population of the Maritimes actually lives in HRM. What you guys fail to get is that there are three seperate Maritime provinces and that nearly half of all Maritimers are not even Nova Scotians. As such, even the political content coming out of the NS legislature in Halifax is irrelevant to us.

If the news station do not provide us with appropriate content and do not reflect our interests or concerns, then we will not watch the programs. The ratings will fall by half and the stations will suffer the consequences.

It seems to me that Global's ratings are in the shitter now. At least CTV realizes the demographic and political realities of the Maritime provinces. Even with CTV, they only have one reporter on PEI. No wonder the market share for CBC news on the Island is something like 85-90%

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 5:25 AM

Ratings at Global are about to come out of the end of the sewer pipe.. They are a long ways from the the toilet... It is going to take a tonne of hard work to get viewers to watch global. The inconsistency in programing, horrible sets, and general feel of the Global station has for years been a huge turn-off to viewer. CTV may not have the best morning show right now but is a long way ahead in the ratings and will be a hard program to knock off the top of their podium.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I would say that CTV at least tries to be balanced and realizes that only 22% of the population of the Maritimes actually lives in HRM. What you guys fail to get is that there are three seperate Maritime provinces and that nearly half of all Maritimers are not even Nova Scotians. As such, even the political content coming out of the NS legislature in Halifax is irrelevant to us.

If the news station do not provide us with appropriate content and do not reflect our interests or concerns, then we will not watch the programs. The ratings will fall by half and the stations will suffer the consequences.

It seems to me that Global's ratings are in the shitter now. At least CTV realizes the demographic and political realities of the Maritime provinces. Even with CTV, they only have one reporter on PEI. No wonder the market share for CBC news on the Island is something like 85-90%
Sorry but this how Global Edmonton, Global Calgary, Global Saskatoon, and Global Regina and others operate. They are targeting only 20-30% of Alberta's or Saskatchewan's population.

If you eliminate those who are least likely to watch in the maritimes (french speaking population) and include a good chunk of mainland Nova Scotia that has interest in what happens in Halifax (for example commuters, people heading to Halifax's hospitals etc.) than they are targeting more like 40%.

They do have some stories and weather about New Brunswick. Global also does a taped half hour news at 6pm for New Brunswick that is separate from Nova Scotia. And since the show's production is light years ahead of the competition, I'm sure they'll do just fine.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 12:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Regarding francophone New Brunswickers, you would be surprised how many of them watch (and read) the anglophone media rather than the French media. CBA in Moncton has more francophone listeners than CBAF does. More francophones read the T&T than l'Acadie Nouvelle. There are lots of francophones who tune into CTV.

I guess what we can all agree to is that New Brunswickers are annoyed with the Halifax centrism of CTV (and other media outlets based in Halifax), and that Haligonians are annoyed anytime they are confronted with a news story emanating from NB or (horrors) PEI.

The only way about this would be to establish seperate Global and CTV stations in NB. Maybe they should make CKCW in Moncton a full CTV station again. There used to be a Global station in Saint John. Maybe we should go back to the way things were.

Then the Haligonians and New Brunswickers could go back to their respective silos and start ignoring each other again.....

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jan 31, 2013 at 12:34 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 3:45 PM

Quote:

The only way about this would be to establish seperate Global and CTV stations in NB.
Or maybe we should look at amalgamating all the Atlantic provinces...

That would sure solve the CTV / Global bias issue wouldn't it?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 3:59 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
I would say that CTV at least tries to be balanced and realizes that only 22% of the population of the Maritimes actually lives in HRM.
CTV may give more New Brunswick-related news, but the angle with which they tackle them is completely different than how they approach Halifax news. Their Moncton boosterism is almost as bad as the T&T.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 12:18 PM

Global is the only network with morniing news at 6:00 AM. That counts a lot for me. The other networks are rebroadcasting last nite's news at 6:00 AM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby074 View Post
Or maybe we should look at amalgamating all the Atlantic provinces...

That would sure solve the CTV / Global bias issue wouldn't it?
lol good luck

we don't have either of those stations here and are not really missing them

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
Global is the only network with morniing news at 6:00 AM. That counts a lot for me. The other networks are rebroadcasting last nite's news at 6:00 AM.
Agreed this is actually one of the reasons I will watch this show. Most commuters are out the door in Halifax before CTV morning live comes on the air at 7 am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
lol good luck

we don't have either of those stations here and are not really missing them

Really? Competition is a good thing. Having 3 local news networks is a good thing. Just look at New Brunswick newspapers.

There is no LIVE local morning news show in Newfoundland, this is why CTV morning live shows Newfoundland and Labrador weather as it is broadcast on cable in Newfoundland on CTV Two.

I have seen NTV, and we are not missing it here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy