HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 1:43 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 8:12 PM

Smile

City staff determined extending Germain Street to Lower Cove Loop is not possible because of the proximity of Ross Street.

Disappointing to say the least. That entire area needs some grid construction.

Last edited by ColSJ; May 13, 2022 at 8:23 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
City staff determined extending Germain Street to Lower Cove Loop is not possible because of the proximity of Ross Street.

Such a bad decision. All they had to do was make Ross one-way eastbound only. Or just have a weird intersection. Modern urban planning policy and bylaws would make much of uptown illegal to build.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:

What? That cannot be a "final" decision. Sometimes I wish I had gotten into politics to help out development and point out when certain things should be done for the benefit of the uptown core.

This just makes the lower cove loop cutoff from being apart of the "core" of uptown. If they ever wanted to continue the streets of shopping/restaurants and apartments within walking distance, well they just shut it down from being extended.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 12:40 PM

Yeah the justification is 'we would have a weird intersection and that's scary'. Like, come on! Germain is already one way northbound, so there would be 0 exiting traffic if they slapped a 'right turn only' sign at the west end of Ross. You don't even need to make Ross one way like I thought. LCL is wide enough to accommodate intermittent left hand turns here too.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Yeah the justification is 'we would have a weird intersection and that's scary'. Like, come on! Germain is already one way northbound, so there would be 0 exiting traffic if they slapped a 'right turn only' sign at the west end of Ross. You don't even need to make Ross one way like I thought. LCL is wide enough to accommodate intermittent left hand turns here too.
Saint John never has weird intersections. Simms Corner? Somerset & Milledgeville?

Honestly what a weird decision. Prince William, Canterbury and Germain should be extended into that abandoned empty lot. Which would allow those 3 streets businesses to be able to extended all the way past lower cove loop. Even if you had to include traffic lights or something with the increase of foot traffic, it shouldn't matter. walkability > prioritizing cars. (coming from someone who relies on my own car vs walking/public transport.)

Sad times. Hopefully this will be looked at again at some point and worked on in the future. Took what 20 years for Fundy Quay to get to nearly shovels in the ground. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeoftea View Post
Saint John never has weird intersections. Simms Corner? Somerset & Milledgeville?

Honestly what a weird decision. Prince William, Canterbury and Germain should be extended into that abandoned empty lot. Which would allow those 3 streets businesses to be able to extended all the way past lower cove loop. Even if you had to include traffic lights or something with the increase of foot traffic, it shouldn't matter. walkability > prioritizing cars. (coming from someone who relies on my own car vs walking/public transport.)

Sad times. Hopefully this will be looked at again at some point and worked on in the future. Took what 20 years for Fundy Quay to get to nearly shovels in the ground. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The problem is, it is NOT abandoned. It is federally-owned land managed by the port. It can't be easily subdivided and cannot be sold barring exceptional circumstances. They can't even lease it for residential construction- must be commercial and somewhat port related. This applies to everything here: https://paol-efel.snb.ca/paol.html?v...n&pan=05903651

I'm a big fan of doing things cheap and easy, so lights etc. aren't really needed here. Maybe pedestrian-activated flashing ones across LCL at the bottom of PW. That, plus a single No Left Turn sign, would clear all of this up for like a thousand bucks.

Hopefully the city will at least put a sidewalk in on LCL between Prince William and Carmarthen. It's a mudpit used as impromptu private parking.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 2:18 PM

Well this is a poorly informed article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ding-1.6455880

The Heritage Board has voted unanimously twice to let Bezanson proceed with his extensions, under two different designs, in the last two years alone. Why he hasn't started yet is his problem. Heritage is not holding anything up here or meddling.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Well this is a poorly informed article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ding-1.6455880

The Heritage Board has voted unanimously twice to let Bezanson proceed with his extensions, under two different designs, in the last two years alone. Why he hasn't started yet is his problem. Heritage is not holding anything up here or meddling.
He came out swinging in his letter to the council and then presents in person claiming he cannot complete the project he got approval for from the HDB because it's a part of the heritage conservation area that the HDB oversees.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 3:57 PM

Quote:
He came out swinging in his letter to the council and then presents in person claiming he cannot complete the project he got approval for from the HDB because it's a part of the heritage conservation area that the HDB oversees.
I don't get it- whatever he asked, he was given. His permits were approved by council for the north and east extensions along with the additional two floors. Then he came back with a revised plan, not adding floors, but adding two additions. That was approved. It's all there in the minutes.

So his complaint is a permit he got in 2020 is expiring in 2022, so his property should be removed from a heritage zone in order to... what exactly?

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 4:16 PM

Quote:
I don't get it- whatever he asked, he was given. His permits were approved by council for the north and east extensions along with the additional two floors. Then he came back with a revised plan, not adding floors, but adding two additions. That was approved. It's all there in the minutes.

So his complaint is a permit he got in 2020 is expiring in 2022, so his property should be removed from a heritage zone in order to... what exactly?
It’s not like re-applying for another permit isn’t an option. The councillors even suggested helping fast track the process for him.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 5:09 PM

Quote:
It’s not like re-applying for another permit isn’t an option. The councillors even suggested helping fast track the process for him.
All that requires is a pro forma preplanning meeting, a permit application, and another review/vote by the board, also pro forma. None of this has caused delays, cost the city tax money, etc. A 24-month standard-issue permit with no work occurring in the first 20 months is the fault of the board, for sure. Lol.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 3:49 AM

Figured I’d share this photo I saw on Facebook of Uptown/south end.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 8:17 PM

Something large will reportedly be on the Heritage Board agenda. I know nothing beyond that, but it's big.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Something large will reportedly be on the Heritage Board agenda. I know nothing beyond that, but it's big.
Six storey, 100+ unit, mixed use development on Queen Square North/Charlotte

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northender74 View Post
Six storey, 100+ unit, mixed use development on Queen Square North/Charlotte
I had heard rumblings about this site recently. I’m curious to see how 100+ units fits into a 6 storey building but I’m looking forward to the render.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 3:37 PM

Quote:
I had heard rumblings about this site recently. I’m curious to see how 100+ units fits into a 6 storey building but I’m looking forward to the render.
You make a good point, since for example The Wellington is 48 units in a 6-storey building. My guess is that the footprint must be much larger, and without a retail or commercial space on the ground floor (which I think would be a missed opportunity).

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
You make a good point, since for example The Wellington is 48 units in a 6-storey building. My guess is that the footprint must be much larger, and without a retail or commercial space on the ground floor (which I think would be a missed opportunity).
The footprint of the site is much larger for sure. What’s interesting is the whole block of Queen Square North to my understanding is owned by Histoirca. They’ve never done new construction before. They’ve been oddly quiet in lately with no new major purchases since they bought out Hazen in 2020. And they reportedly dropped out of the city hall project. Should be interesting to see…

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
If it's going to be right on the corner of Queen Square N and Charlotte I think having a few local restaurants with patios would be a great compliment to that area and on market days. Over time if more shops and restaurants are included on Queen Square N (or S for that matter). I think it would be a fun idea to close those roads to traffic and make them pedestrian only.

Looks like the areas surrounding queen square will start to fill in and have a much nicer feel to them. Especially if they could do something with the St. James and Harding/Charlotte street blocks

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 12:35 AM

There is no big item in next week’s HDB packet. Maybe the project won’t be unveiled until next month or sometime later in the future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces