HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 1:10 AM

I agree Keith, there seems to be something else at play here with both Brison and Fillmore missing in action in relation to the Ports future. I wonder if the Federal Liberal grand plan is to move cargo operations to Medford or Sydney in C.B. as Halifax has that Navy thing, not to mention the 60 Bill Shipbuilding contract. Former P.M. Jean Chretien has openly lobbied for one if not both of the C.B. operations and old Jean never had any love for Halifax so who knows?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 1:16 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
I agree Keith, there seems to be something else at play here with both Brison and Fillmore missing in action in relation to the Ports future. I wonder if the Federal Liberal grand plan is to move cargo operations to Medford or Sydney in C.B. as Halifax has that Navy thing, not to mention the 60 Bill Shipbuilding contract. Former P.M. Jean Chretien has openly lobbied for one if not both of the C.B. operations and old Jean never had any love for Halifax so who knows?
i forget Chretien was "lobbying" for sydney.
fuck.
they are plotting to fuck us, and try to make us like it.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 1:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
i forget Chretien was "lobbying" for sydney.
fuck.
they are plotting to fuck us, and try to make us like it.
CB is faithful Liberal territory - the home of Dave Dingwall and all his cronies.

HRM is more fickle and tends to lean towards the NDP. Of course JT is going to reward CB (especially when your local Liberal representatives are so weak).

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 2:00 PM

Don't forget longtime Liberal Party insider and bagman Richie Mann's involvement in the Melford operation. It all is starting to smell like a rotting fish.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 6:35 PM

You all have just reminded me why I despise politics so much!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 8:47 PM

I travel to C.B. for business a couple times of year and the lack of hope except at Membertou is palpable. There is a barely disguised contempt for Halifax as "they get everything".

I remember the 1995 Federal budget that devastated C.F.B. Halifax and made C.F.B. Shearwater a lodger unit of C.F.B. Halifax. Over 5,000 job losses that thankfully turned into former Military pensioners that for the most part chose to stay in Halifax. Chretien was also responsible for the EH-101 cancellation contract that would have made the Halifax area a major Training and Maintenance base for EH-101 operations in North America. Ironically Harper bought the cancelled VH-71 program that Obama shot down which has to amount to one of the greatest giveaways the Yanks have ever given an Ally. Harper bought 9 airframes and 27 Tractor trailer loads of AW-101 parts for 168 Million CDN. The Program cost the Yanks 2 Bill USD before Obama cancelled it. At least Trudeau is about to make at minimum 5 of the Airframes flyable again and IMP will get most of the work. Hopefully Jean does not hear about DAT.

Yup Fillmore and Brison seem to be good little Liberal pups sitting in the corner and not peeing on the carpet.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 9:23 PM

Maybe some of the container traffic could be diverted from the Port of Montreal to help bolster Sydney...

...yeah, like that would happen...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 11:27 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

A report for regional council on the future of the port: https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...1030rc1416.pdf

It has a lot of interesting details and attempts to address a bunch of the questions that have been floating around. The report suggests that the truck traffic has little impact on Cogswell in the sense that the Cogswell design would be the same with or without the truck traffic. The report enumerates a few different ways to mitigate the truck traffic, and explains why the port of Halifax is important nationally and is not easy to replace by shifting traffic somewhere else (to say nothing of the cost of rebuilding the infrastructure). It is close to the major American ports, can currently handle large container ships, and is the deepest port on the east coast. The report suggests that if Halifax loses business it will be American ports that gain the most, not Canadian ports.

It still seems incredibly short-sighted to think that the truck traffic is an existential crisis for the port, or that it is possible to cannibalize the port to send the business to other areas like Cape Breton.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
A report for regional council on the future of the port: https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...1030rc1416.pdf

It has a lot of interesting details and attempts to address a bunch of the questions that have been floating around. The report suggests that the truck traffic has little impact on Cogswell in the sense that the Cogswell design would be the same with or without the truck traffic. The report enumerates a few different ways to mitigate the truck traffic, and explains why the port of Halifax is important nationally and is not easy to replace by shifting traffic somewhere else (to say nothing of the cost of rebuilding the infrastructure). It is close to the major American ports, can currently handle large container ships, and is the deepest port on the east coast. The report suggests that if Halifax loses business it will be American ports that gain the most, not Canadian ports.

It still seems incredibly short-sighted to think that the truck traffic is an existential crisis for the port, or that it is possible to cannibalize the port to send the business to other areas like Cape Breton.
Funny thing about that report is that its origin is listed as "Public discussion and debate on the future of the South End Container Terminal and Port of Halifax." Usually report origins are either an applicant request, or a Council request for information. This makes it sound like it was written by staff on their own initiative. I can't recall ever seeing that before.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy