HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
My negativity is aimed at all the useless bickering without actually saying anything.
Thanks for your contribution.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Thanks for your contribution.
You are welcome, glad to see you're paying attention.

So, any new info on whether the Shannon Park site will be used?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2019, 10:06 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
So, any new info on whether the Shannon Park site will be used?
Presumably we're supposed to have more insight on this by the end of March.

The Atlantic game in August still doesn't have a host stadium attached to it, either, but it's presumed to be Moncton.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 7:10 PM

https://globalnews.ca/news/5068251/m...eral-lobbying/

Martitime Football is begining to lobby the federal government for stadium funding. Can't imagine that is going to happen though, as from what I understand they typically only throw in money if the stadium will be used for some sort of event other than just having a pro team set up ie Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton with the Pan Am Games.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 7:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtown View Post
https://globalnews.ca/news/5068251/m...eral-lobbying/

Martitime Football is begining to lobby the federal government for stadium funding. Can't imagine that is going to happen though, as from what I understand they typically only throw in money if the stadium will be used for some sort of event other than just having a pro team set up ie Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton with the Pan Am Games.
They must be going to play up the community uses for the stadium to justify the funding request. I wish them well, but the feds are pretty dogmatic about such things.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 8:06 PM

Lobby Wrap: Proposed Halifax CFL team seeking stadium funding
Marco Vigliotti iPolitics.ca Mar 18, 2019

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
They must be going to play up the community uses for the stadium to justify the funding request. I wish them well, but the feds are pretty dogmatic about such things.
Generally fed money will only go to infrastructure for educational facilities (Winnipeg) or large multi sport games (Hamilton)

Perhaps the beleaguered Trudeau government looking for votes might reverse the trend.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Presumably we're supposed to have more insight on this by the end of March.

The Atlantic game in August still doesn't have a host stadium attached to it, either, but it's presumed to be Moncton.
Thanks, I'm looking forward to the news. I think the Shannon park location could be iconic for our area, let's see what happens!

I think Moncton sounds like the best location for the Atlantic game. I hope they get it!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 9:00 PM

I would think that the site of the August game will be announced when CFL Commissioner Ambrosie visits Halifax as part of his annual off-season road trip on March 30.

Last edited by c-way-dude; Mar 19, 2019 at 9:30 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Finance minister not ruling out federal money for CFL stadium

By Alicia Draus
Reporter Global News

Finance Minister Bill Morneau says if Halifax inevitably gets a CFL team, additional federal funding isn’t out of the question.

Morneau made a stop in Halifax on Friday to promote the 2019 budget. He addressed the Halifax Chamber of Commerce, telling the group the budget continues to invest in areas that can make a big difference in the long term.

Speaking to reporters after, Morneau also faced questions about federal funding for a CFL stadium. The company working to bring a CFL team to Atlantic Canada has recently launched a lobbying effort to seek federal funding.

But Morneau first punted the question to his colleague, MP Andy Fillmore.

“We’re very excited about this one-time gas tax top-up fund,” he said. “I’ve started to canvas my constituents, the stadium has come up, but so has things like bike lanes.”

The gas tax top-up comes from the 2019 federal budget but is municipal money. When pressed if the federal government would contribute to a stadium, Morneau said he could not comment on a proposal he has yet to receive.

“I will say we’re going to continue to invest to make sure Canada is a great place to live, and that includes investing in middle class Canadians,” said Morneau. “It also includes making sure we have the kind of amenities locally that we need, and sports and cultural opportunities are also critically important.”

Ottawa, Regina, Winnipeg and Hamilton have all recently built CFL stadiums. Only Hamilton’s stadium received federal money, and it was one of the main venues for the Pan Am Games in 2015.
https://globalnews.ca/news/5085995/c...deral-funding/

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 4:03 AM

Not the headline Liberal candidates want to see or hear. An announcement for funding of more paramedics would lock down votes. And rural people would like funding for doctors and LTC beds.
You could not pay me enough to be a paramedic or an ER nurse in Nova Scotia.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 5:02 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I always thought the distinction between funding sports infrastructure for events and direct funding was strange and even counterproductive.

The stadium projects are generally vastly better value for dollar than large events. The CWGs would have been $1B+ and a lot of money would have been spent on security and other one-time costs, or infrastructure is semi-permanent but not needed after. It's counterproductive for governments to say "sorry, we won't fund that $130M stadium; come back when you've found another $1B worth of extra costs and we'll talk".

One valid criticism of stadium funding is that governments should not be forking cash over to private CFL promoters. But we are talking about funding to build a stadium, not operate a CFL team. If the public retains control over the stadium and it's available for many uses this criticism loses a lot of steam. How good a deal this is for the public comes down the nuts and bolts of an agreement that doesn't exist yet.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
One valid criticism of stadium funding is that governments should not be forking cash over to private CFL promoters. But we are talking about funding to build a stadium, not operate a CFL team. If the public retains control over the stadium and it's available for many uses this criticism loses a lot of steam. How good a deal this is for the public comes down the nuts and bolts of an agreement that doesn't exist yet.
I'm not sure I want HRM owning & operating a stadium though. It is sure to be a money-losing proposition. Given HRM's propensity to jack up taxes annually and their addiction to wasteful spending this seems the worst of all possible worlds.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 5:59 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I'm not sure I want HRM owning & operating a stadium though. It is sure to be a money-losing proposition. Given HRM's propensity to jack up taxes annually and their addiction to wasteful spending this seems the worst of all possible worlds.
Stadiums themselves typically do. Arenas less so.

Feds supporting the Halifax project such as it is creates a pretty slippery slope of precedence. I think Calgary and Ottawa are jumping up and down if Halifax gets any federal funding whatsoever. Federal funding should be reserved for major international events and legacy creation whenever possible.

A federal minister not ruling it out doesn't mean anything, really. We're essentially in pre-election writ period - the more the minister can make people think one way on funding the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123
Essentially, yes. The optics need to be shifted away from appearing as though feds/province are directly funding and supporting solely a private enterprise.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 5:16 PM

Atlantic Schooners group unveils stadium design
Drew Edwards 3downnation.ca March 30, 2019

It’s not an about-face but it’s certainly a significant shift.

The group trying to bring a CFL franchise to Halifax provided the first look at a possible stadium design on Saturday while also unveiling a dramatic change in their approach to securing government money as they try and get a facility built.

Anthony LeBlanc, a founding partner of Schooners Sports and Entertainment (SSE), says the group has shifted to a community-oriented model that would feature a permanent 12,000 seat facility that would be expandable for CFL games.

“We’re finally getting to the point to getting a building that makes sense but it ties into the vision that we’re talking about. The first thing they’ll say is that a community stadium doesn’t have to have the amount of seats that a CFL team may need and we agree,” LeBlanc said Saturday at an event in Halifax hosted by the CFL. “From a community perspective, what is needed is a fixed facility that will house roughly 12,000 permanent seats so this structure is what we’re talking to our friends and partners at the municipal, provincial and federal level.”

LeBlanc says his group at SSE would then be responsible for paying for the construction of an additional 10,000 seats, along with 4,000 temporary seats, for a total of 26,000.

“That brings the capacity of the stadium up to the level that would be acceptable for CFL events and that’s what we’re responsible for, Schooner Sports and Entertainment,” LeBlanc said.

SSE has entered into a partnership with Sport Nova Scotia, a non-profit organization whose membership is made up of over 50 provincial sport organizations. CEO Jamie Ferguson says his group is firmly behind the new vision, which could provide a facility that would be available to community groups 300 days a year.

“We are going to be able to program this facility for all of the days that the CFL team is not using it or there aren’t other large events. We are looking at upwards of 300 days a year that our provincial sport organizations are going to be able to use this facility a drastically reduced cost. That’s a big deal for us,” Ferguson said. “We think it’s a model that can be used for pro sports franchises and an amateur sports organizations all over the world that can help provide more opportunities for our kids to get the benefits of sports.”

LeBlanc says the group has signed an agreement with federally-owned Canada Lands to explore the development of the Shannon Park site, which had previously been identified as the preferred site for a stadium. A delay in reaching that agreement has slowed the progress of the project, including a planned update to the Halifax regional council.

“They still haven’t received that proposal because it took a lot longer then we anticipated to get to the point where we are now with Canada Lands,” LeBlanc said. “It will allow us to do that last piece of work HRM and the province have been waiting on to do the full analysis.”

LeBlanc says the change in approach came after Halifax mayor Mike Savage raised concerned about the scope and cost of the project and suggested a phased approach. While LeBlanc didn’t provide any numbers on Sunday, it has previously been reported the cost of the project has dropped from $190 million to approximately $130 million and that the SSE partners had about $60 million of their own money to commit to the project.

“We want to make sure that anything that is done that is involving any level of government is done in a wise, frugal manner and we have really listened to what we have heard,” LeBlanc said. “We have shifted and we’ve turn this conversation into what the community wants from a community stadium.”

Last edited by elly63; Mar 30, 2019 at 6:06 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 10:59 PM

I like the design and the idea. This looks very doable and will make it easier to get everyone on board. This thread will be 10 years old this October, seems fitting to have an approved stadium ready to start construction finally for this growing city.

Last edited by q12; Mar 30, 2019 at 11:12 PM. Reason: added larger image of stadium render

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 12:55 AM

The Sport NS connection is interesting. SNS is a provincial govt agency. Does this mean the province is about to pony up millions of dollars? That will not go over well.

I do think the concept that the proponents have developed is interesting. The scaled-back version seems appropriate for a city this size. I just wonder if given the hysteria over health care in this province at the moment if it will be possible for the province to cough up any money at all.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 2:07 AM

Good points Keith as I think that if this is to go forward then the incremental approach has to be the way. I would prefer the facility to be around the Costco at the top of Burnside/Dartmouth Crossing. Far better traffic options as well as Hotel and dining options but I only visit that part of Dartmouth for business reasons so what do I know.

I can see the Nova Scotia Tattoo in July use the facility to mimic the Edinburgh event. Seven more days and probably sold out.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The Sport NS connection is interesting. SNS is a provincial govt agency. Does this mean the province is about to pony up millions of dollars? That will not go over well.

I do think the concept that the proponents have developed is interesting. The scaled-back version seems appropriate for a city this size. I just wonder if given the hysteria over health care in this province at the moment if it will be possible for the province to cough up any money at all.
So your 84 year old close friend is slowly dying with cancer in a central hospital and the hospital decides it needs the palliative care bed for someone down in the ER. And they tell you about 10:30 in the morning that your friend is being moved to a rural hospital an hour away. And because of the serious problems in healthcare it turns out that the ambulance transfer does not take place until 11 p.m.
Sip a pint a or two with a few paramedics or nurses and learn the current state of healthcare in Nova Scotia. Turns out what I have described is quite common, so common the 6 p.m. TV news could spend the first 30 minutes each day describing the mess. Hysteria my ass.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 3:13 AM
The New Republic

Why do so many Canadian stadium designs have asymmetrical stands (BMO Field, TD Place, Molson Stadium, Tim Hortons Field, and now this one)? That would make it 5/10 CFL stadia and every single stadia in the Eastern Conference. It prevents them from ever expanding around the end zone to create a complete bowl. The overall design is fine but make the lower bowl the same on each side; including the ring of boxes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment