HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 4:32 PM

Viking Pavilion | Complete

I believe the person that runs the Baumberger Studio - Architectural Illustration Facebook page is also a forumer here. Anyway, he posted these renders for a new basketball arena. Anybody have any information on the project?

The renders are from here: http://www.facebook.com/BaumbergerStudio
Specifically: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...2860697&type=3

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 6:08 PM

Glass Palace Jr

Iitbfof

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 7:05 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Yeah, a mini version of Memorial Coliseum!

The Vikings did play in the 2008 & 2009 NCAA tournament... didnt do so well.

http://www.oregonlive.com/vikings/in...s_plans_f.html

You know, as an alumn, I'm not sure how I feel about this. PSU's sports isn't exactly well known, although the Peter Stott Center is one big ugly eyesore on campus. Still, new classroom space is far more important than anything sports related.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
PSU's sports isn't exactly well known, although the Peter Stott Center is one big ugly eyesore on campus. Still, new classroom space is far more important than anything sports related.
I've heard a rumor from a couple of sources that PSU is preparing to take their sports programs up a notch, particularly football. they'd go from 1-AA (FCS) to the top division 1-A (FBS) and compete with the big boys. the renovation of civic stadium for the Timbers was a big step towards that goal. I would think they'd need a sugar daddy to do that, but haven't heard that there's anyone out there waiting to throw money at Viking football.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 8:04 PM
Dare Mighty Things

I don't even have close to an informed opinion on PSU sports and on whether this is needed or not, but having stumbled upon this thread I think that has to be one of the coolest basketball arena concepts I've ever seen.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel
You know, as an alumn, I'm not sure how I feel about this. PSU's sports isn't exactly well known, although the Peter Stott Center is one big ugly eyesore on campus. Still, new classroom space is far more important than anything sports related.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian
"President (Wim) Wiewel has identified the need for this type of facility, not really just as an athletic venue but as an important facility for the entire campus that will continue PSU's growth pattern," he said. "This puts this new dynamic face out there (on the Park Blocks). ... It kind of makes it like an anchor to the south end of the Park Blocks."

Chisholm said Vikings athletics would constitute only 40 of the 125 annual events, with the rest consisting of concerts, trade shows, amateur athletics and other community events.
From the Oregonian article it seems more multipurpose venue than just a basketball arena.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 1:16 AM

So this is where my tuition hike is going . . .

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 5:12 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Humm, I'm torn. If its self-supporting, great. Compared to Oregon or OSU which have about a hundred year head start, they'll need a lot of luck and time to become successful and self-supporting. I have to say that this sounds pie-in-the-sky considering that:

A) PSU has no sugar-daddies

B) The PSU Vikings suck AND are very minor league

C) a multi-purpose facility would do nothing to further academics

D) PSU has a HUGE demand for office, lab, classroom, meeting, and every other type of academic space that you can imagine - and these aren't getting built

E) they have no funding sources

...otherwise, its great. From an urban perspective, I think that a sports stadium for PSU would be a good thing. I generally think downtown stadiums are bad, but since that lot is a complete dead-end downtown (as its backed into the freeway loop), anything would be an improvement from the dead space that the now-mostly empty Stott Center is.

What really irritates me is that I get bombarded by PSU's marketing program to solicit money from alumns - daily phone calls, emails, brochures, they even ask their temp contractors to donate a % of your paycheck to "help out" the university. Grrrr. Now I know where they want the money to go!

>

Last edited by zilfondel; May 13, 2012 at 5:40 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 4:44 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Zilfondel summed up my thoughts as well. I'd love to see this built if a billionaire came along and decided he wanted to fund the whole thing. That'd be great, and it would be an excellent addition to that corner of downtown.

Back in the real world... the issue is one of priorities and realities. Dollars are limited. I can't fathom why this would be a priority for PSU.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 7:28 PM

Quote:

D) PSU has a HUGE demand for office, lab, classroom, meeting, and every other type of academic space that you can imagine - and these aren't getting built

>
But that's just not true. There has been a tremendous amount of construction at PSU over the past decade. Here is what pops into my mind. There is probably more.

The College of Urban and Public Affairs got a brand new building. The College of Engineering and Computer Science got a brand new building. Science 2, Lincoln, Shattuck, and Smith all got complete renovations and are state-of-the art. The new student rec center has a bunch of classroom space. Epler Hall is student housing and has classroom space. The Broadway building (also student housing) has classroom space. I imagine the new student housing under construction now has some classroom space, but I'm not sure about that. PSU has been quietly buying up and/or occupying office space all around their campus. They are partnering with OHSU on the new building in South Waterfront.

A new basketball arena is exactly where it should be - at the end of a long line.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 8:16 PM

Boise State, for example, went from being a junior college (est. 1934) to a 4 year institution in a very short time period (1965) and then they established NCAA Division 1 Football team that has been nationally ranked the past few years. Portland State has taken a much slower path and all their infrastructure investments will eventually payoff, IMO.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 1:40 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
But that's just not true. There has been a tremendous amount of construction at PSU over the past decade. Here is what pops into my mind. There is probably more.
Mallory, Portland State is planning on building 7 million square feet of additional academic space. Therefore, it would seem that they need vastly more space than they currently have. I have engineering student friends who have Sunday night classes due to the shortage of lab space! Many other departments are likewise in puny little offices and have to fight tooth and nail for classroom space. Lecture halls are generally the worst I've seen out of any campus - and I've toured dozens over the years - barring some of the new renovations we've had. The worst are Kramer Hall, Smith, and Neuberger Hall - which form the main nexus of PSU's classroom and office space.

I should know, I am currently a staff member @PSU.

Now, if PSU is able to get funding for the school from private sources, then I think this can be a great thing. I just hope that it doesn't hinder their ability to expand and build other buildings that support their 'core' function.

source: http://pdx.edu/news/psu-pursues-grand-vision

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 9:51 PM
A before E

Makes me wish I went to PSU now rather than when I went there. Looks like the university is finally heading in the right direction.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Humm, I'm torn. If its self-supporting, great. Compared to Oregon or OSU which have about a hundred year head start, they'll need a lot of luck and time to become successful and self-supporting. I have to say that this sounds pie-in-the-sky considering that:

A) PSU has no sugar-daddies

B) The PSU Vikings suck AND are very minor league

C) a multi-purpose facility would do nothing to further academics

E) they have no funding sources

...otherwise, its great. From an urban perspective, I think that a sports stadium for PSU would be a good thing. I generally think downtown stadiums are bad, but since that lot is a complete dead-end downtown (as its backed into the freeway loop), anything would be an improvement from the dead space that the now-mostly empty Stott Center is.

What really irritates me is that I get bombarded by PSU's marketing program to solicit money from alumns - daily phone calls, emails, brochures, they even ask their temp contractors to donate a % of your paycheck to "help out" the university. Grrrr. Now I know where they want the money to go!

>
While college sports can seem superflous, they can actually go a long way to creating a sense of community, even at a commuter school. I went to the UW in Seattle which has a huge proportion of local students, just like PSU, and the commuters would often come to games.

College sports also strengthen alumni ties and pride. Look at the University of Oregon which few took pride in 10 years ago. You see people wearing Duck apparel everywhere now.

If their ambition of 125 annual events is fulfilled I see this being self funding. Seems like a great idea to me. It also strengthens the draw of downtown in evenings and weekends, who could be against that?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 7:50 PM

Early Assistance has been requested by Woofter Architecture for the PSU Viking Pavilion:

Quote:
Modernization & upgrade of existing Peter Scott [sic] Center. Additional classrooms & the addition of a multi purpose arena (viking pavillion)

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 10:18 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Early Assistance has been requested by Woofter Architecture for the PSU Viking Pavilion:
So does this mean they are putting off replacing the Stotts Center?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
So does this mean they are putting off replacing the Stotts Center?
I don't know how much I can say, but a former professor of mine works at Woofter and he's taking the lead on this project. He's currently teaching a design studio for upperclassmen at PSU's architecture school that's focused on ideas for redeveloping and/or repurposing the current Stott Center.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 12:35 AM

I'm not very familiar with the buildings at PSU, but IIRC from reading the feasibility drawings ZGF did the plan is to do a major [think: down to structure] refurbishment of the Peter Stott Center as part of the Viking Pavilion project. So much like the new School of Business Adminstration, it will effectively be a new building.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 12:42 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Well, straight from the PSU website:

https://www.pdx.edu/insidepsu/new-viking-pavilion

Quote:
OHSU has announced a $7.5 million investment in PSU’s Viking Pavilion and Academic Center, an exciting new venue for academics, arts, and athletics opening in the spring of 2018.

The Pavilion will be a multi-purpose venue for PSU and OHSU with seating up to 5,000 people. It will be able to host Portland State sporting events, university functions, academic symposiums, concerts, seminars, conferences, commencements, and a variety of other events numbering well over 140 per year. It will house a student academic center, enhanced facilities for student advising, classrooms, upgraded student-athlete training room, and much needed space for students to gather and study.

It also marks a new era in Viking Athletics. The recently hired Director of Athletics Mark Rountree, a veteran of more than two decades of college athletics administration, will shepherd the Viking program into new avenues of fund-raising, development, and on-field success. Portland State football also begins 2015 under new leadership as Bruce Barnum has been named the Head Coach for the coming season.

The Vikings have won 28 team conference championships since 2003 and made 17 team appearances in the NCAA post-season. PSU competes in 15 intercollegiate sports, has approximately 280 student-athletes and has some 235 on athletic aid.

Construction on the Pavilion will begin in January, 2016.
Looks like they are still set on the original design, they have the renderings from the first post on this page posted.

Also this:

http://www.oregonlive.com/education/...build_vik.html

PSU and OHSU plan to build Viking Pavilion, a landmark athletic and academic center

Quote:
Portland State University and Oregon Health & Science University plan to renovate an aging arena on the PSU campus into a landmark academic center and 4,000-seat auditorium for athletics, performances and other events.

The 200,000-square-foot Viking Pavilion and Academic Center will include space for banquets, conferences, classrooms, computer labs, study areas and student gathering places, as well as basketball and volleyball games. High windows will admit natural light to illuminate multifunctional spaces for study areas, an arena, classrooms, computer labs and counseling offices.

img from Oregonlive.com, source: Portland State University

-----------------------

That's one hell of a renovation!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Builder named for PSU's $45M arena revamp (Renderings)

Portland State University has made it official: Fortis Construction will build the university's new Viking Pavilion and Education Center at the south end of campus.

The university finalized the $32 million contract with Portland-based Fortis in late May. Groundbreaking for the building is scheduled for January 2016. Completion is expected by spring 2018.

According to a release, the building will be a massive renovation of the Peter W. Stott Center, which has served as a health, physical education and athletics facility since it was built in 1966.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment