Empire State Building in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 2:32 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
New York's magnificent bridges are some of the most under-appreciated examples of architecture in the world.
I think the city's bridges are second (after the skyscrapers) on my list of things I like about New York. In fact, the bridges are probably a more visual connection for some because they are scattered over and around all boroughs.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 11:56 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I think the city's bridges are second (after the skyscrapers) on my list of things I like about New York. In fact, the bridges are probably a more visual connection for some because they are scattered over and around all boroughs.
Absolutely, NYguy. In their own way, they are as sublime as the ESB.

The Williamsburg Bridge:

makezine.org

wikimedia.org

The Throgs Neck Bridge:

(Metropolitan Transit Authority)

The Manhattan Bridge:

bookcase.com/~claudia

cache.eb.com

The Brooklyn Bridge:

belchfire.net

blueroof.files.wordpress.com

scotthaefner.com

The Queensboro Bridge:

rockphotography.co.uk

kioskrealty.com
(Magnificent!)

The Triborough Bridge:

richmangalleries.com

z.about.com

The Whitestone Bridge:

Metropolitan Transit Authority

darkgiftdesign.com

The Verrazano Bridge:

blog.dr2ooo.com

imagecache2.allposters.com

The George Washington Bridge:

NYTimes.com

pictopia.com

Per Wikipedia, Le Corbusier (Charles-Edouard Jeanneret) said of the George Washington Bridge:

"The George Washington Bridge over the Hudson is the most beautiful bridge in the world. Made of cables and steel beams, it gleams in the sky like a reversed arch. It is blessed. It is the only seat of grace in the disordered city. It is painted an aluminum color and, between water and sky, you see nothing but the bent cord supported by two steel towers. When your car moves up the ramp the two towers rise so high that it brings you happiness; their structure is so pure, so resolute, so regular that here, finally, steel architecture seems to laugh. The car reaches an unexpectedly wide apron; the second tower is very far away; innumerable vertical cables, gleaming against the sky, are suspended from the magisterial curve which swings down and then up. The rose-colored towers of New York appear, a vision whose harshness is mitigated by distance."

And then there are the Central Park masterpieces:

joebly.com

joebly.com

joebly.com

I ❤️ NY

Last edited by CoolCzech; Jan 28, 2008 at 12:33 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 11:59 PM
World Machine

No other city has such a multitude of beautiful suspension bridges. The bridge aspect of New York alone puts it ahead of so many other cities.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 12:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
No other city has such a multitude of beautiful suspension bridges. The bridge aspect of New York alone puts it ahead of so many other cities.
I try to explain to people all the time that New York is really just a city of islands. It's held together by its subways and bridges. Of course, ferries help...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 12:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
The Verrazano Bridge:

blog.dr2ooo.com
Along with the GW, two of the best to look at...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 7:52 PM
World Machine

I agree, nothing beats looking at the Verrazano from the Belt Parkway, or the GW from the Hutchinson River Pkwy (except the Brookyln Bridge going into Lower Manhattan).

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 9:46 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
I agree, nothing beats looking at the Verrazano from the Belt Parkway, or the GW from the Hutchinson River Pkwy (except the Brookyln Bridge going into Lower Manhattan).

It IS the culmination of NYC bridge construction, chronologically and size wise. With all the NIMBY opposition to any development these days, it's hard to imagine anything like it will be built in the City again. Tunnels seem to be the way of the future.

destination360.com

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 6:34 PM

All of the bridges in New York are so beautiful. I saw something on the History Channel a few months back on how controversial they were.

What's the name of the planner of most of them? Is it Verazzano?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 9:01 PM

othmar ammann designed many of the new york area bridges

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 9:49 PM

The more time I spend looking at Verazzano the more I love it. The Golden Gate certainly has a more attractive setting, but I don't think any bridge is as beautiful. It is the perfect modernist structure.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 9:51 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Many businesses are on the same page. Last year, Starbucks signed a lease in the Empire State Building—whose revamp will include a new lobby, windows and elevators, and reconfigured floors to accommodate larger tenants—for what will be its biggest location in the city.
Wow. That's funny, and ridiculously awesome. The Empire State Building and Starbucks Coffee. The two biggest things in the city combine to create a super NewYork-splosion!! One can only imagine...

p.s. before all of you start attacking, I know that Starbucks originated in Seattle. however, you can't argue the major presence the coffee shops have in the city. Seattle, you have my gratitude for giving the world Starbucks Coffee.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 9:59 PM

An oft forgotten New York Bridge:

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 10:01 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Absolutely, NYguy. In their own way, they are as sublime as the ESB.

The Brooklyn Bridge:

belchfire.net

blueroof.files.wordpress.com

scotthaefner.com

The Verrazano Bridge:

blog.dr2ooo.com

imagecache2.allposters.com

The George Washington Bridge:

NYTimes.com

pictopia.com

Per Wikipedia, Le Corbusier (Charles-Edouard Jeanneret) said of the George Washington Bridge:

"The George Washington Bridge over the Hudson is the most beautiful bridge in the world. Made of cables and steel beams, it gleams in the sky like a reversed arch. It is blessed. It is the only seat of grace in the disordered city. It is painted an aluminum color and, between water and sky, you see nothing but the bent cord supported by two steel towers. When your car moves up the ramp the two towers rise so high that it brings you happiness; their structure is so pure, so resolute, so regular that here, finally, steel architecture seems to laugh. The car reaches an unexpectedly wide apron; the second tower is very far away; innumerable vertical cables, gleaming against the sky, are suspended from the magisterial curve which swings down and then up. The rose-colored towers of New York appear, a vision whose harshness is mitigated by distance."
These are probably my three favorite bridges in New York. The Brooklyn Bridge because to me it is more the essence of New York than any other bridge in the city (tragically I had to see it destroyed twice this holiday season [I Am Legend, Cloverfield] ); the Verrazano Bridge because it reminds me of home, gives New York a record to hold (longest suspension bridge in the U.S.), and serves as the city's gateway; finally the GW because it is simply gorgeous, an exhibit of the marvels of engineering and the achievement of mankind.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 11:29 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
All of the bridges in New York are so beautiful. I saw something on the History Channel a few months back on how controversial they were.

What's the name of the planner of most of them? Is it Verazzano?
Giovanni da Verrazzano [1] (c. 1485 – c. 1528) was an Italian explorer of North America, in the service of the French crown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_da_Verrazzano

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 11:52 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Robert Moses planned much of the transportation infrastructure of the city.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 12:49 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
Wow. That's funny, and ridiculously awesome. The Empire State Building and Starbucks Coffee. The two biggest things in the city combine to create a super NewYork-splosion!! One can only imagine...
Now all they need to do is move in the Duane Reade from accross 34th Street, and create the city's largest Duane Reade, and the vision will be complete...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 12:52 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
An oft forgotten New York Bridge:

That one is overlooked because its so close to the Triborough (another handsome bridge). The Triborough may or may not be renamed after Robert Kennedy.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 12:58 AM
World Machine

Quote:
The Triborough may or may not be renamed after Robert Kennedy.
I heard about that, and to be honest (no disrespect to Kennedy), but I would prefer it to remain 'The Triborough Bridge'. The name of it after all reflects the purpose it serves.

Name a street after him.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 4:30 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Now all they need to do is move in the Duane Reade from accross 34th Street, and create the city's largest Duane Reade, and the vision will be complete...
werd

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 1:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
werd
I'm serious......I never leave home without my Duane Reade "rewards" card. You get a whole $5 dollars off for every $100 you spend, lol. Big bucks. But I also often stop by the Walgreens that's inside the Empire State, though I never really consider it to be inside.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture