HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 6:39 PM
Reason and Freedom

Thanks for the update/rumour. It's consistent with other recent rumours. I wonder if it is still fully on spec (relying on the current "flight to quality") or if the developer has lined up at least something.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Thanks for the update/rumour. It's consistent with other recent rumours. I wonder if it is still fully on spec (relying on the current "flight to quality") or if the developer has lined up at least something.
Going on spec.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 12:21 AM

Good to hear.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 2:20 AM

Here's a look at the site today.

Dec.16 '15, my pic

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 2:41 AM

I will be great to see the CBD expanding eastwards.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post

I just realized today when I walked by and took these pics how much the ground level space will mimic the same area at the Grantthorntonpricewaterhousecoopers building. The giant pillars, steps and canopy. I hope they can save and transplant the palm tree.

Jan.31 '16, my pics

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 6:24 PM

This building will make a great entrance to the West Hastings "canyon" leading up the The Marine Building and MNP tower.
It's a "Toronto style" done on a Vancouver scale, but that seems appropriate here, as anything over and above the MNP / & Marine building here might compete with it, not enhance it. (The Marine building, the culmination of the 'canyon')
(off topic a little excuse me but) I always regretted the Royal Bank building being chopped in half. Can't do it, I know, but imagine it completed, either adhering tothe same design and materials, or doing a 'stylised' half, keeping the main concrete frontage, but doing rest in glass, while keeping to the main design with the cornices, etc, still in concrete.
What a streetscape that would make!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 9:43 AM
Reason and Freedom

Here is a sweet little video. It has the most extensive renderings we have seen yet. As we already learned from previous renderings, it appears to be a relatively classy building. The video even depicts a cascading lobby window waterfall and a street-side restaurant patio. But one thing the video also makes clear is that it will have absolutely zero impact on the overall skyline (due to you know what, assuming economics would have supported greater height). Anyways, we all know the drill:

Video Link

And a few more renderings (in which you can see the lobby window waterfall in the first two):

Source: http://sightlines.bharchitects.com/p...ncouver-canada

Source: http://sightlines.bharchitects.com/p...ncouver-canada

Source: http://brickvisual.com/projects/

And a hi-res (and slightly altered) version of the Seymour Street rendering in which you can clearly see a multi-level restaurant with an outdoor patio, an animating aspect of the project I hope comes to fruition:

If these renderings accurately represent the intended final product, then one obvious aesthetic flaw is the apparent absence of a stylish lighting treatment within the wooden underbelly of the portico (e.g. some random light lines or a constellation of star-like lights or whatever, etc.)

Last edited by Prometheus; Mar 5, 2016 at 2:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 11:00 PM

Thanks for posting, Prometheus! The building looks AAA class and nice, but yeah, it looks almost tiny next to Harbour Centre which isn't that tall either. Minimal skyline impact, but great addition to the streetscape. I think that is acceptable with this one, but I hope the Originami Tower will be redesigned to make a bigger mark (doubtful).

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Thanks for posting, Prometheus! The building looks AAA class and nice, but yeah, it looks almost tiny next to Harbour Centre which isn't that tall either. Minimal skyline impact, but great addition to the streetscape. I think that is acceptable with this one, but I hope the Originami Tower will be redesigned to make a bigger mark (doubtful).
At the very least, this building will "anchor" one end of the Hastings Canyon, already regal in places; (room for improvement extant). 601W is a very good start, despite lack of height.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 7:50 PM

It says restaurant but does anyone see the kitchen on the floorplan?

http://former.vancouver.ca/commsvcs/...floorplans.pdf

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 9:25 PM
Shoebox Dweller

I hope that they lop a few floors off so that I can retain my view from Harbour Centre.

Just kidding, I doubt either me or my company will still be in there by the time this thing gets close to topping out. I just hope that it gets built given the current office market!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 6:50 PM

Current office market is quite strong. Barring any major market shock expect this one to hit the ground this year.

Tower wouldn't have gone too much higher if it could, like MNP the plate is just too inefficient. If they could have purchased the adjacent buildings then it would be a different story.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 6:53 PM

This has to be the most accurate rendering I have ever seen: wet streets, umbrellas, cyclists, and dreary skies.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post

This has to be the most accurate rendering I have ever seen: wet streets, umbrellas, cyclists, and dreary skies.
Almost there. Just needs a smattering of old gum on the sidewalk and, let's be honest, a crapload of trash from a single garbage bin, spilled out all over creation.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 11:51 PM

It's near East Hastings, so add a few rif-raf fellas, with one seated directly in front of Timmy's.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 11:52 PM

It's near East Hastings, so add a few rif-raf fellas, with one seated directly in front of Timmy's.

Love the rendering and building!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 3:14 AM

When is demolition scheduled to begin?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 6:24 PM

I've heard as early as next month, but I'm sure it's in flux. Should be going soon though.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 6:30 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver