HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 7:17 PM

Well if they did move at least we could tear down old BOB and it wouldn't be a giant deadzone/wall separating downtown from the warehouse district.

Big opportunity for development.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Well if they did move at least we could tear down old BOB and it wouldn't be a giant deadzone/wall separating downtown from the warehouse district.

Big opportunity for development.
Lol plenty of other opportunities to activate the Warehouse District without tearing down PHX's best sports venue. Abandoning Chase Field would be an absolute disgrace by the D-Backs.

Not a chance in hell that they move to Wild Horse Pass imo.

The 101/202 loop is the most interesting plot of land in the state right now...

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 8:53 PM
Modulator

Agreed. No possible way they would build a stadium that far South. Even Scottsdale residents would sit through nearly 40 minutes of rush hour to get to a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Lol plenty of other opportunities to activate the Warehouse District without tearing down PHX's best sports venue. Abandoning Chase Field would be an absolute disgrace by the D-Backs.

Not a chance in hell that they move to Wild Horse Pass imo.

The 101/202 loop is the most interesting plot of land in the state right now...

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 8:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post

Looking at the map this makes little sense to me; well maybe a little (as I suggested).

My understanding is the Dbacks are having 'heat maps' done to determine where fans and season ticket holders come from. This is what Atlanta did before deciding where to move to which has worked out nicely for them.
Then in 10 years when the "heat maps" change again, they'll be unhappy again and want a stadium in Verrado. Corporate welfare bullshit.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 4:50 PM
Modulator

Coyotes Sign Another Year Lease

Team owners state long term goal is to stay in Arizona quelling Houston relocaction rumors.

Quote:
Putting recent speculation to rest, the Arizona Coyotes announced the team will stay in Arizona, and in Glendale, another year.

The Coyotes renewed its lease at Gila River Arena with arena manager AEG Facilities on Dec. 20, said Rich Nairn, a team spokesman.

That means the team will play at the arena at least through the end of next season.

That's good news for Glendale and the West Valley said Glendale City Manager Kevin Phelps. The 43 home games a year bring patrons to the hotels, restaurants and shops in the city's sports and entertainment district, he said.

But a one-year lease does nothing to secure the team in the city, or the state, for the long-term.

The team has looked to Phoenix and the East Valley in recent years, and there is speculation that the franchise will leave the state altogether, perhaps for Houston, if it doesn't get the investment it's looking for.

The lease renewal buys Glendale another year, Phelps said, to think about what the city can do to keep the team in the arena for years to come.

"Our goal will be to find a compelling reason for the Coyotes to stay in Glendale," he said.

What might that look like? Phelps said he's not sure. But he said he does know that the arena could benefit from upgrades, which would help the team bring in more revenue.

If the city gets a longer-term commitment from the Coyotes, Phelps said, the city may be willing to help pay.

Recent rumors of a move
The Coyotes have been on a year-to-year lease with the arena's management company, AEG Facilities, since 2016. The team managed the arena until 2015 when the city ended the team's management agreement.

The lease automatically renews every year on Dec. 31, unless the Coyotes cancel before then.

Coyotes officials have said in recent years that the team wants out of Gila River Arena. A bigger arena with more seating, the officials said, would allow for more ticket revenue.

Rumors about the Coyotes leaving the state altogether, for Houston, peaked last month when the NHL announced that the Coyotes will move to the league's Central Division, from the Pacific Division, in two seasons, for the 2021-2022 season.

To quell fans' anxiety, Coyotes President and CEO Ahron Cohen published a letter to fans on Tuesday renewing the team's commitment to the state. It's the team's goal, he wrote, to "achieve a long-term sustainable arena solution here in Arizona."

"Every potential investment opportunity we evaluate and every business deal we consider is predicated on making our franchise successful here in Arizona for decades to come," he wrote. "Arizona is our home. We love it here. And we love playing for you, the very best fans in the NHL."
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...na/2466673002/

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Team owners state long term goal is to stay in Arizona quelling Houston relocaction rumors.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...na/2466673002/
Why dont the Coyotes and Suns go back together for a New/Rennovated stadium.

For F***S Sake

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 5:00 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Why dont the Coyotes and Suns go back together for a New/Rennovated stadium.

For F***S Sake
I think that's what we all would like, and I believe the Coyotes ownership has approached the Suns ownership on this in the past. Unfortunately, Sarver is unwilling to work with anyone on this. It's stupid really. I think the voters/residents of Phoenix would really be up for an arena if the 2 teams could be combined under 1 roof.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I think that's what we all would like, and I believe the Coyotes ownership has approached the Suns ownership on this in the past. Unfortunately, Sarver is unwilling to work with anyone on this. It's stupid really. I think the voters/residents of Phoenix would really be up for an arena if the 2 teams could be combined under 1 roof.
That's the only way a *new* stadium gets built. Sarver is the stick in the mud and quite oblivious to the general apathy the city now has to his needs and the Suns. All on him. He needs to get real or get moving in my book.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 5:52 PM

I agree the best path forward for all (except maybe Sarver's wallet) is for a brand new shared arena downtown. Why pay all this to renovate? Let's take care of both teams, pay the $1B or so and work out the numbers with Sarver, Coyotes and taxpayers. There has to be some land development rights that can be incorporated as well. How about finally getting a W downtown and including it in this development. I'm sure they'll also want retail and maybe some office buildings or apartments.

It's all math and percentages.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 5:54 PM

Typically NBA/NHL teams that share an arena are under the same ownership.

I don't see the Suns & Coyotes working out an arena deal. I still think it's indian land or Houston...

https://arenadigest.com/2018/10/24/s...renas-2018-19/

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Typically NBA/NHL teams that share an arena are under the same ownership.

I don't see the Suns & Coyotes working out an arena deal. I still think it's indian land or Houston...

https://arenadigest.com/2018/10/24/s...renas-2018-19/
I could see the yotes piggybacking on a site that Dbacks picked out with a sharing of expenses. In Atlanta, a lot of emphasis was put into additional retail potential. Same with Kroenke's new L.A. Rams stadium in Inglewood. It's roughly a $10 billion development with half going for the stadium and half for adjacent retail/hotel development. If yotes and Dbacks were to share a site it would be a year-around attraction.

For hockey the arena is more important than for the NBA due to differences in tee vee money. I have to believe there's money in Houston for making a deal so yeah, that's a concern.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
If yotes and Dbacks were to share a site it would be a year-around attraction.
I'd like to see a new Coyotes arena + the proposed Phoenix Rising MLS stadium at the 101/202 loop. The planned arena at the ASU Athletics District looked great - just move it a mile north.

https://www.nhl.com/news/arizona-coy...na/c-283721214

Glendale doesn't want to lose the Coyotes, but I think Gila River would be fine as purely an events/concert venue. D-Backs abandoning Chase Field would be a disaster.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 9:32 PM
Modulator

Quote:
I'd like to see a new Coyotes arena + the proposed Phoenix Rising MLS stadium at the 101/202 loop. The planned arena at the ASU Athletics District looked great - just move it a mile north.

https://www.nhl.com/news/arizona-coy...na/c-283721214

Glendale doesn't want to lose the Coyotes, but I think Gila River would be fine as purely an events/concert venue. D-Backs abandoning Chase Field would be a disaster.
I had a thought on the Coyotes joining the Rising if the Rising can secure an MLS spot. For sure, there is enough land available and it's nearly dead-center in the metro and close to the Coyotes fan base. Two arenas and all the supporting retail, a hotel and whatnot would look incredible in that location.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 2:15 AM

Suns Arena Meeting

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/..._news_headline

It's a shame that the news thrives on negativity. Now the City has to do a bunch of recourse to convince the gullible masses that it's actually a pretty fair deal. I was concerned at first, but there's no way Phoenix (Downtown) allows itself to lose the Suns.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 6:30 AM

Quote:
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/..._news_headline

It's a shame that the news thrives on negativity. Now the City has to do a bunch of recourse to convince the gullible masses that it's actually a pretty fair deal. I was concerned at first, but there's no way Phoenix (Downtown) allows itself to lose the Suns.
I'm glad a point I've brought up was made by one of the city officials at the meeting today: even if the Suns do leave, that doesn't change the fact that the arena still needs those renovations if it wants to continue to host events.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 6:17 AM

At this point, something needs to happen to the TSA if downtown is ever going to expand past CityScape; it is a massive deadzone with the potential to catalyze significant investment on all sides. It is a superblock with literally NO urban frontage. Lining Jefferson with a NIKE Factory store, Dick's, Zipps, and LA Fitness under midrise office space, constructing a W Hotel adjacent, replacing the 1st St garage with affordable housing, and connecting Jackson with retail for places like The Madison, Alamo Drafthouse, etc. would be such a major transformation. Sarver also owns the St James lot where lowrise commercial and a Legends Museum could go as a gateway into the WD.

1st St - Central is the last shot at turning Jackson into 'something.' I could easily see the ground level of Chambers housing several restaurants, the Brickhouse reopening as a music venue, and the small storefronts along Central converted into small shops. Please?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
At this point, something needs to happen to the TSA if downtown is ever going to expand past CityScape; it is a massive deadzone with the potential to catalyze significant investment on all sides. It is a superblock with literally NO urban frontage. Lining Jefferson with a NIKE Factory store, Dick's, Zipps, and LA Fitness under midrise office space, constructing a W Hotel adjacent, replacing the 1st St garage with affordable housing, and connecting Jackson with retail for places like The Madison, Alamo Drafthouse, etc. would be such a major transformation. Sarver also owns the St James lot where lowrise commercial and a Legends Museum could go as a gateway into the WD.

1st St - Central is the last shot at turning Jackson into 'something.' I could easily see the ground level of Chambers housing several restaurants, the Brickhouse reopening as a music venue, and the small storefronts along Central converted into small shops. Please?
If my dreams could come true i'd shit rainbows.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 6:10 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post

They are not going to tear down TSA any time soon. I'd even bet Chase gets torn down before TSA does.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 4:59 PM

Poll shows strong support for Suns arena upgrades

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-upgrades.html
Quote:
A new poll reveals strong support for proposed renovations to Talking Stick Resort Arena in downtown Phoenix once residents are educated with facts of the issue.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 7:00 PM

In addition to new facility upgrades, I can't help but feel optimistic for the Suns given their poor record, since they now have a great shot at receiving another #1 overall pick. If the suns had Booker, Ayton and Zion Williamson in a lineup AND a newly renovated arena that rivals any NBA facility in the country, the Suns success will drive further robust growth in the downtown entertainment center along with Block 23. High hopes for downtown phoenix future!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest