HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 4:03 PM

Good morning, just wanted to give you all some skyscraper envy. This is the Rainier Tower in Seattle.

Last edited by Orlando; Aug 17, 2019 at 10:53 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 8:55 PM

The Store at the Gateway just announced their opening day will be August 23rd

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 2:04 AM

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/big...ment-proposal/

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/wes...-tod-projects/

More housing units are continuing to be built along 300 west and the trax lines from 2100 south to 8th south or so, along with units all along the North Temple Corridor. Its great to see all these areas along the transit lines continued to be built up.

Additionally ground has been moving for developments on 2700 south and 900 east as well as 1300 south and 500 east.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 6:55 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

So if I’m not mistaken in the road home should be closing within the next several weeks? I remember it was originally set to close in June but then got delayed till September. Hopefully there are no more delays. I know there’s a lot of new stuff going into the gateway... I think the road home closing is really important to its success.

Also, I really wish the city would get involved more with the North Temple problem. It’s getting really bad around the gateway inn. That place even has a chain-link fence around it now that makes it look like a fortress. I think it’s ironic because that place is probably the source of A lot of the problems around there... it seems like every time I drive by there there is somebody getting arrested in the Wienerschnitzel parking lot. I think it’s amazing that that place is still in business. I will be really sad if Wienerschnitzel ends up going out of business because of the problem in that area. There are not many Wienerschnitzel‘s that are still in their original buildings like that... I would really hate to see that one go. It’s also the last of the original North Temple staple eating places.

The only 3 things I would like to see stay on North Temple between I 15 and Redwood Road are The fairgrounds stables, Wienerschnitzel, and the Wonder Bread building... I would also be Okay with the red iguana staying, and I definitely want them to stay as an establishment on North Temple, but I would be okay with them ending up in a newer building... everything else on North Temple really needs to go.... now there has been some redevelopment between Redwood Road and I 215... I would like to see that continue all the way down North Temple.

I think if the city could start cracking down on the motels and getting them closed down, they could probably make the property look a lot more appealing to developers.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 3:47 AM
Ironweed

Went to dinner with a friend who was a member of the Parish Council of the Greek Orthodox Church. He indicated that the church has decided to tear down the old apartments and rebuild. They also will be building on their parking lot, and renewing their civic center. No time line established yet.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 3:16 PM

UTA destroying history again

Does anyone know why UTA is dismantling that beautiful warehouse just south of their main building? I know we all like to sit here with our DI**s in our hand waiting for the development news to come to US, but seriously, we need to actually do some investigating this time. UTA is DESTROYING a GORGEOUS, HISTORIC WAREHOUSE--AGAIN, and nobody seems to give a flying F***.

The city is missing out on an opportunity to create a world-class market/mixed use development, like Barcelona-level SH**... The views of the city skyline from that building are unmatched.. the access to the freeway is also. It could've been the next Trolley Square only better, and a massive shot in the arm for the area... but UTA is so shortsighted... does anyone know what their plans are for that spot? It makes me absolutely sick.

In case you guys (and I hope some gals but I have never seen any on here, but if you are, thank you) don't know what I'm talking about, it's the big beautiful, historic building just west of the Intermodal HUB on the other side of the tracks. They're taking it apart. I don't know how to post pics, so I can't. but I'm begging someone on this thread to please get to the bottom of this before it's too late..

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheum View Post
Does anyone know why UTA is dismantling that beautiful warehouse just south of their main building? I know we all like to sit here with our DI**s in our hand waiting for the development news to come to US, but seriously, we need to actually do some investigating this time. UTA is DESTROYING a GORGEOUS, HISTORIC WAREHOUSE--AGAIN, and nobody seems to give a flying F***.

The city is missing out on an opportunity to create a world-class market/mixed use development, like Barcelona-level SH**... The views of the city skyline from that building are unmatched.. the access to the freeway is also. It could've been the next Trolley Square only better, and a massive shot in the arm for the area... but UTA is so shortsighted... does anyone know what their plans are for that spot? It makes me absolutely sick.

In case you guys (and I hope some gals but I have never seen any on here, but if you are, thank you) don't know what I'm talking about, it's the big beautiful, historic building just west of the Intermodal HUB on the other side of the tracks. They're taking it apart. I don't know how to post pics, so I can't. but I'm begging someone on this thread to please get to the bottom of this before it's too late..
They're not demolishing it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=uta+...58vjGxfaPTNuM:

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Oh thank God. Thank you Orlando. Still somewhat of a buzz kill that it will remain a building closed off to the public, but at least they're saving it. I didn't expect UTA to have this level of intelligence, unless someone else is forcing them to save it..

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheum View Post
Oh thank God. Thank you Orlando. Still somewhat of a buzz kill that it will remain a building closed off to the public, but at least they're saving it. I didn't expect UTA to have this level of intelligence, unless someone else is forcing them to save it..
I thought someone on the transit thread said UTA found the rehab of the building too expensive so they are demolishing the building and building new. I am very sad about this.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 3:54 PM

Here is what was in the transit thread: They also approved a change in contract with Stantec Architecture regarding the new bus servicing building (aka Depot District Clean Fuels Tech Center). UTA had been saying all along that they would be re-purposing the old Rio Grande Locomotive Maintenance building into the new center, but apparently the $10 million price tag changed their mind. They'll be razing all the Rio Grande buildings west of Salt Lake Central (actually they already started towards the end of July) and just build completely new.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 4:40 PM

Saw the Chartway Credit Union building on 1700 S between State and Main being torn down this weekend. I think it was a great example of an ugly building that I actually liked - big imposing brick awkwardly mixed with windows.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
Here is what was in the transit thread: They also approved a change in contract with Stantec Architecture regarding the new bus servicing building (aka Depot District Clean Fuels Tech Center). UTA had been saying all along that they would be re-purposing the old Rio Grande Locomotive Maintenance building into the new center, but apparently the $10 million price tag changed their mind. They'll be razing all the Rio Grande buildings west of Salt Lake Central (actually they already started towards the end of July) and just build completely new.
Wait. So, they are demolishing the old warehouse?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 7:57 PM
Engineer

Quote:
That's what I understood. They are certainly not repurposing it now and are planning to design a new maintenance building as documentation from the recent meeting says on page 19 of this PDF:

http://rideuta.com/-/media/Files/Boa...583.ashx?la=en

Doesn't say they'll demolish the old one in the text but it can be assumed and I think joscar attended the meeting ?? and it was clear it would be demolished.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Yes, and the article announcing its demolition didn't come out until AFTER they already started demoing it.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 5:01 AM
They all float down here

The good news is that we'll demolish everything historic so that, in 50 years, we won't have anything to care about anymore when we go through the next urban renewal.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 3:29 PM

Didn't hey go through a community approval process and there was huge concern already about that place? Did they go through the same process when they changed their mind about the warehouse and decided to demo it? It doesn't seem that way.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 3:50 PM

While we're on the topic of demolishing historic buildings:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/08/...ed-too-costly/

Deemed too costly to renovate, the Utah Theater site is being eyed for Main Street’s next skyscraper

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 4:32 PM

This would become the most attractive and engaging building in salt lake if built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post

Deemed too costly to renovate, the Utah Theater site is being eyed for Main Street’s next skyscraper

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post

I think many of us have seen this coming. The last few proposals had some minor restoration but always including a tower.

The reason that the previous proposals didn't work is due to the lack of parking for the tower occupants and access from the parking to the tower itself.

Now, I like the tower design but I would love for them to provide more details about the reuse of the items. If they can't restore, reuse is next best. In that, I would love it if they could use the stage frame and some of the cornice items in highly visible locations, perhaps around the elevator core on the main floor.

I also think that there needs to be direct guarantees that the tower will actually be built before any demolition permit is given. There is still to much history of older buildings being taken down and not having anything replace them in short order, APS being one on the same block.

I still wish they could have found a way to build the tower, restore the theater and add a connection to the building from the parking structure.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 5:05 PM

That looks more than twice the height of the 210 foot is bank bldg. New tallest?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West