HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
Thanks! I suppose in some ways its another "container ship" type building, though a reasonably good looking one. I think this type of building in this setting - right across from the train station, is better placed then the exact same building along a major urban corridor such as Welton. Nonetheless, I wish they could half the width and double the height!
Any chance we'll get the road crossing at 38th any better? It's bad now. It's going to be impossible to get across once all of this is built. It's basically the only way across by car.

We will also need a pedestrian/bike crossing, probably around the rock drill across to the mission ballroom area. Hope it happens...

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldurhamer View Post
Any chance we'll get the road crossing at 38th any better? It's bad now. It's going to be impossible to get across once all of this is built. It's basically the only way across by car.

We will also need a pedestrian/bike crossing, probably around the rock drill across to the mission ballroom area. Hope it happens...
Agreed on all that (yay!) I've heard mumblings that the tunnel is to be replaced/expanded, but I've no idea when. Biking through there is a nightmare if you encounter a pedestrian or another cyclist. It's going to be a cluster once these office and residential buildings come on line, and of course the city will be a decade behind in addressing it.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 2:51 PM

Yeah, that is a helluva pinch point for cars. For bikes and peds, there are pedestrian bridges at 38th and between 36th/35th. However, as a cyclist, it's frustrating how frequently the elevator is down in the pedestrian bridge at 35th.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 3:40 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
Agreed on all that (yay!) I've heard mumblings that the tunnel is to be replaced/expanded, but I've no idea when. Biking through there is a nightmare if you encounter a pedestrian or another cyclist. It's going to be a cluster once these office and residential buildings come on line, and of course the city will be a decade behind in addressing it.
Probably because the solution for 38th right there is a $100M fix at the minimum. That's going to be one the most interesting civil projects in Denver where you have to keep an active rail yard operational while you dig under it. You can see where the A-Line and Blake Street bridges were designed with a 38th expansion in mind, all you have to worry is the six UP tracks there.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 4:34 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n..._news_headline

Could be an exciting and from the sounds of the vision potentially transformative addition to civic center/colfax area. I guess this also means the state isn't really serious about whatever building they've tossed around putting on that lot for years and years.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.hampton View Post

Could be an exciting and from the sounds of the vision potentially transformative addition to civic center/colfax area. I guess this also means the state isn't really serious about whatever building they've tossed around putting on that lot for years and years.
I completely agree that this would be transformative. It excites me that they are looking for great/ unique architecture for this project. The National Medal of Honor museum is looking for feedback on their Facebook page for the two finalist cities (gag I know) and currently Denver is getting crushed in the comments. So if anyone has a second I would comment positively for this project in Denver!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 5:48 PM

Worst-kept secret in the City, but the cat's out of the bag now. Questionable decision at best, though I'm sure the pay is great.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 7:11 PM

Things that I Like

Credit: Michael Lloyd-The Oregonian

Bill to eliminate single-family zoning in Oregon neighborhoods passes final legislative hurdle
Jun 30, 2019 By Elliot Njus | The Oregonian/OregonLive

Image by Michael Andersen via Sightline Institute

OREGON JUST VOTED TO LEGALIZE DUPLEXES ON ALMOST EVERY CITY LOT
June 30, 2019 Author: Michael Andersen - Sightline

First Point
I have a significant distaste towards Nannyism generally. I don't want the federal gubment dictating on social or moral issues to the state. There are exceptions as wong has pointed out like Social Security; healthcare may be another potential area. Similarly I don't like the state dictating to cities their supposedly all-knowing wisdom. If there's universal agreement on an issue that's different - so long as it's constitutional.

From the left side of the fence to the right side
Governor Ducey to withdraw AZ Nike plant incentives amid Betsy Ross-Colin Kaepernick controversy
Quote:
"Nike has made its decision, and now we’re making ours. I’ve ordered the Arizona Commerce Authority to withdraw all financial incentive dollars under their discretion that the State was providing for the company to locate here. Arizona’s economy is doing just fine without Nike. We don’t need to suck up to companies that consciously denigrate our nation’s history.
Politics has gone totally bat-shit crazy

With respect to Denver
The city should be able to decide for itself what is best. If a majority wants whatever then whatever should be adopted. Not sure Denver is yet ready to take this step however. I DO like the look and variety of the so-called "missing middle"; I still don't believe it will accomplish what many envision. I would favor incremental change.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 7:15 PM
sidewalkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1530 View Post

Worst-kept secret in the City, but the cat's out of the bag now. Questionable decision at best, though I'm sure the pay is great.
News to me and most people I know, even those closely connected with him. Hardly a questionable decision though. He's a brilliant guy with keen business sense an incredible work ethic and dedication to his community. But I get the need you may have to toss out insults without evidence.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 7:31 PM

Quote:

Well I don't live in the city so thanks for the heads up.

Just speaking for myself I'm happy for Albus and wish him the best. Brooks was my favorite city councilor.

Quote:
Brooks was one of the driving forces behind the 38th and Blake overlay amendment in Denver’s River North Art District that has sparked hundreds of millions of dollars in new development. His platform focused on affordable and inclusive living options.

Bryon White, president and CEO of Milender White, called Brooks an “outstanding community leader.” “We believe in his vision for building an inclusive city and, as experts in construction and development, we are honored to have him join our team,” he said in a statement.

Brooks, who spent the last eight years on the City Council representing District 9, will focus on projects across Colorado and in Southern California. He starts his position July 15.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Park View Post
News to me and most people I know, even those closely connected with him. Hardly a questionable decision though. He's a brilliant guy with keen business sense an incredible work ethic and dedication to his community. But I get the need you may have to toss out insults without evidence.
Great minds....

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Park View Post
No insults whatsoever (honestly I'm not even sure how you got an insult out of that) - I like the guy and have huge respect for his intellect, charisma, and work ethic. I wish him nothing but the best. Its just the optics of a move like this given the current state of the political narrative in Denver that gives me pause. Perhaps I could have characterized that more appropriately.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 8:41 PM
sidewalkin'

Quote:
No insults whatsoever (honestly I'm not even sure how you got an insult out of that) - I like the guy and have huge respect for his intellect, charisma, and work ethic. I wish him nothing but the best. Its just the optics of a move like this given the current state of the political narrative in Denver that gives me pause. Perhaps I could have characterized that more appropriately.
Ahh! I see what you mean now. Sorry. When you said "Questionable decision at best..." I read it as being a slight toward Albus and that it was him as a person that made the decision questionable.
I'm not surprised by the move and was actually concerned about the optics of getting hired by a developer given the view held by some that he was in the pocket of the developer.
Thanks for clarifying.
edit: Here's a link to another story about the move. https://www.coloradopolitics.com/den...b5845458a.html

Last edited by Curtis Park; Jul 2, 2019 at 10:16 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Things that I Like

Credit: Michael Lloyd-The Oregonian

Bill to eliminate single-family zoning in Oregon neighborhoods passes final legislative hurdle
Jun 30, 2019 By Elliot Njus | The Oregonian/OregonLive

Image by Michael Andersen via Sightline Institute

OREGON JUST VOTED TO LEGALIZE DUPLEXES ON ALMOST EVERY CITY LOT
June 30, 2019 Author: Michael Andersen - Sightline

First Point
I have a significant distaste towards Nannyism generally. I don't want the federal gubment dictating on social or moral issues to the state. There are exceptions as wong has pointed out like Social Security; healthcare may be another potential area. Similarly I don't like the state dictating to cities their supposedly all-knowing wisdom. If there's universal agreement on an issue that's different - so long as it's constitutional.

From the left side of the fence to the right side
Governor Ducey to withdraw AZ Nike plant incentives amid Betsy Ross-Colin Kaepernick controversy

Politics has gone totally bat-shit crazy

With respect to Denver
The city should be able to decide for itself what is best. If a majority wants whatever then whatever should be adopted. Not sure Denver is yet ready to take this step however. I DO like the look and variety of the so-called "missing middle"; I still don't believe it will accomplish what many envision. I would favor incremental change.
Not that I think the Colorado legislature is inclined to adopt similar legislation, but I would have serious doubts about whether it could bind a home rule city like Denver, anyways.

Zoning seems the "paradigm" of a local issue that the home rule amendment decreed would determined by local government and not by the state.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 1:30 AM

So I took a very long detour drive home from work through RiNo to check everything out. I didn't take pictures, but there is a TON going on there. With all of the recent announcements, coupled with existing construction, it's really quite remarkable to see how quickly the area between Blake and Brighton is changing.

1.) The AMLI RiNo apartment complex on Denargo is under construction and I spotted the base of a red tower crane...
2.) Dirt continues to be excavated for Denargo Phase 3.
3.) Two concrete cores are rising for the Rev 3600 project at 36th/Brighton with a noticeable tower crane hovering over Brighton Blvd.
4.) There is a dirt lot fenced off on the SE corner of 36th/Brighton. No activity, but it's cleared with fencing. The city website says there's a hotel proposed here.....
5.) Behind Rev 3600, there's activity on Wynkoop. City site says this is a parking ramp?.... might be to serve Rev 3600.
6.) Brighton North of 38th is more/less done with street construction. The Mission Ballroom is mostly done, along with the adjacent building to the South (assuming office?). The last of the industrial buildings in front of the Mission Ballroom in front of Brighton is finishing up demo now. I didn't see any construction for other buildings, but I may not have looked hard enough.
7.) Demo work appears to be still going on at 29th and Brighton.
8.) Denver Rock Drill still has no activity.
9.) Walnut Lofts continues construction.
10.) The Hub Phase 2 has steel going up around the elevator cores.
11.) As noted a couple pages back, there is a tower crane up at 3463 Walnut.
12.) There is something under construction on the western side of Blake at the 35th Street intersection from what I could tell. City site says office.....

So... Yeah..... this area is on fire right now.....

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
Hmmmm. I don't remember this.
Hmm, now that I found it (on Pg 85) it didn't amount to that much. Actually, there was a segue into more of an extended discussion on RiNo.

Btw, nothing negative was intended; I always enjoy your 'man-on-the-street' fresh take on things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
Not that I think the Colorado legislature is inclined to adopt similar legislation, but I would have serious doubts about whether it could bind a home rule city like Denver, anyways.

Zoning seems the "paradigm" of a local issue that the home rule amendment decreed would determined by local government and not by the state.
Good to know; that stuff confuses me since it comes up so seldom.

For the time being I kind of feel like don't try to fix what isn't broken; there's soooo much development momentum; easily another ten years to go.

Not that anyone else is interested but with respect to Nike, it turns out that the Goodyear city council just last night put their stamp of approval for Nike incentives and doesn't care what the Governor thinks. Looks like the $185 million Nike Air Manufacturing facility will be moving forward.

Image courtesy: OZ Architecture-Crescent Real Estate via CREJ

Adolfson & Peterson tops out Platte Fifteen, Denver’s 1st CLT project
July 1, 2019 By Kris Oppermann Stern - CREJ
Quote:
Platte Fifteen is a five-story project using cross-laminated timber, a new approach toward sustainable construction. The 153,416-square-foot building, located in downtown Denver, features highly efficient floor plates, zero-lot-line construction and 85,000 sf of below grade parking.
When is this building expected to be finished?
Quote:
Construction is set to be complete in September.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 3:42 AM

https://denverite.com/2019/07/02/lak...cap-on-growth/

Who wants to live in Lakewood anyways.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich View Post
https://denverite.com/2019/07/02/lak...cap-on-growth/

Who wants to live in Lakewood anyways.
Well I might have moved back just so I could live in Lakewood...
But Not Anymore

Updated Results
As of: 7/2/19, 9:30 p.m.* There are fewer than 300 election day ballots left to be counted.
  • Yes (FOR THE ORDINANCE): 18,686 (52.65%)
  • No (AGAINST THE ORDINANCE): 16,807 (47.35%)

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
So I took a very long detour drive home from work through RiNo to check everything out. I didn't take pictures, but there is a TON going on there. With all of the recent announcements, coupled with existing construction, it's really quite remarkable to see how quickly the area between Blake and Brighton is changing.

So... Yeah..... this area is on fire right now.....
That was a lot of fun... and it didn't take me as much time as you. But not being there a curbside account is really cool.

Speaking of McGregor Square
That's right across the street from Coors Field, I believe.

Talk about rocking the Rockies, over 47,000 fans have crowded into Coors Field for 5 consecutive games, soon to be 6 as tomorrow's game is Sold Out. At the All-Star break ONLY five teams will have averaged more (home) attendance than the Rockies: the Los Angeles Dodgers, the St Louis Cardinals, the New York Yankees, the Chicago Cubs and the LA Angels. That's impressive.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
That was a lot of fun... and it didn't take me as much time as you. But not being there a curbside account is really cool.

Speaking of McGregor Square
That's right across the street from Coors Field, I believe.

Talk about rocking the Rockies, over 47,000 fans have crowded into Coors Field for 5 consecutive games, soon to be 6 as tomorrow's game is Sold Out. At the All-Star break ONLY five teams will have averaged more (home) attendance than the Rockies: the Los Angeles Dodgers, the St Louis Cardinals, the New York Yankees, the Chicago Cubs and the LA Angels. That's impressive.
been saying this for a while now and here it comes. it won't be long before you can't get a ticket into coors field. with all of the new people moving in right next to the stadium and just how awesome a park coors is and all that comes with our weather and need to party, this is the perfect setup. the best news we had in the last year as a city may have been the rockies reupping to stay at coors forever.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Well I might have moved back just so I could live in Lakewood...
But Not Anymore

Updated Results
As of: 7/2/19, 9:30 p.m.* There are fewer than 300 election day ballots left to be counted.
  • Yes (FOR THE ORDINANCE): 18,686 (52.65%)
  • No (AGAINST THE ORDINANCE): 16,807 (47.35%)
The ability to grow and respond to market demands for housing is so critical for the future of any thriving city. I think it's total BS that such a critical issue as this can be decided via a "special election", with such low turnout that comes with such an election. This allows persons who hold the strongest, most fervent views to dominate those elections.

Such a critical issue should be decided in a general election. Maybe the result would have been same, but at least a much more material part of the electorate would have weighed in on the issue.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West