HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 9:40 PM

Quick update

As probably the remaining poster from Idaho Falls I guess it's my ever lacking duty to update everyone on the going ons. I'll try to update more often.

Snake River Landing is a buzz with new construction and announcements lately. The biggest is the event center, still without a firm groundbreaking date but hearing the latest news makes me believe by next spring at the latest. Also construction continues on the expansion of the 3 story apartment complex that will add another 88 units and once that project clears up a 53 unit townhouse development will begin. Groundbreaking was had today for a new 3 story office building that will be the new home of Ball Ventures and finally they are soon to get underway on a new retail office building closer to the original development site.

Jackson Hole Junction has a crane busy working to top off the Holiday inn Express and the development manager spoke a week ago about being in talks with a movie house and some sort of other entertainment venture as well as numerous restaurants that are interested as soon as the entertainment peice is secured.

Costco is close to breaking ground but has pushed back due to changing the site plan a bit and working out some access issues. Mum is still the word on whether or not the brand new expanded roundabout will be removed to install a traffic light but a few folks I talked to said that it will indeed happen. Across the street from Costco a new 200,000 sq ft shopping center is in the works. Underground utilities have already been installed but nothing has officially come to light yet. That area is prime for rapid growth with plenty of room for it.

Staybridge Suites will be building a new three story hotel south of Walmart on the westside, blasting equipment and fencing is up around the site so that project should begin at any time.

It also seems like once a month at least new projects are announced at the INL.

Every time I drive around I've noticed new homes, apartments and townhomes so the area is growing at a faster rate than at any other time I've ever seen. The next census count should be rather interesting and possibly very surprising.

I.F. City: 56,813
I.F. Metro: 132,073
I.F. Bingham CSA: 178,025

Last edited by IFguy; Sep 25, 2019 at 9:50 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFguy View Post
As probably the remaining poster from Idaho Falls I guess it's my ever lacking duty to update everyone on the going ons. I'll try to update more often...
Thanks for the updates IFguy. I try to keep up with things on the local news sites but it isn't nearly as informative as what you have provided.

I get back to visit 1-2 times/year and yes the growth seems to be significant every time I visit. I really noticed a lot of growth out in the Iona area which is near the new Costco.

You seem fairly well connected. Have you heard anything regarding the planned changes to I-15 from Broadway to the future north interchange? Or any news on road projects/changes within the county? It seemed Ammon Road was in need of a major widening and traffic lights north of 17th. Traffic back-ups were terrible when I was there last. Looked like Lincoln Road was getting a much needed upgrade.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFBoiseJunky View Post
Thanks for the updates IFguy. I try to keep up with things on the local news sites but it isn't nearly as informative as what you have provided.

I get back to visit 1-2 times/year and yes the growth seems to be significant every time I visit. I really noticed a lot of growth out in the Iona area which is near the new Costco.

You seem fairly well connected. Have you heard anything regarding the planned changes to I-15 from Broadway to the future north interchange? Or any news on road projects/changes within the county? It seemed Ammon Road was in need of a major widening and traffic lights north of 17th. Traffic back-ups were terrible when I was there last. Looked like Lincoln Road was getting a much needed upgrade.
The only updates about the new 15/20 connector is it's still in the development stage of choosing the best option. It seems most are in favor of pushing the interchange north a few miles, building a bridge over the river and connecting back near the Lewisville Highway area and later building a connection to US 26. That is the most expensive option however so they will probably pick an option that is less expensive. Dirt won't even turn until 2026 is the expectation...who knows how bad traffic will be by then. ITD at it's finest on this side of the state.

Speaking of improper planning, Lincoln Road is a wonderful upgrade but the other urbanised areas of the county are congested two lane roads with nothing planned in the foreseeable future besides a glimmer of hope for 1st Street between Hitt and Ammon. Bonneville county says it can't afford upgrades without state funds and Ammon says the same. It's slightly humerous though that Idaho Falls can get upgrades done, they plan ahead and save and also use developers as a tool to help pay for upgrades. It almost seems like the county will always wait for annexation from Idaho Falls so they have to pony up.

The urbanised core is in dire need already. A few more years of subdivision growth and infill it's gonna be a complete disaster.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 7:09 AM

Post Developers plan 177-unit student apartment building at former Bannock hospital site

Developers plan 177-unit student apartment building at former Bannock hospital site

By JOURNAL STAFF

Idaho State Journal

January 09, 2020

https://www.idahostatejournal.com/ne...231326064.html

POCATELLO — Private developers plan to soon build a 177-unit apartment building catering to Idaho State University students on the former site of Bannock Regional Medical Center.

Officials with Portneuf Health Trust confirmed they closed on selling the 4.13-acre property, located at 651 Memorial Drive across from ISU, on Dec. 30, but they declined to specify the sale price.

The buyer, NP Elevate Pocatello LLC, reportedly hopes to have the permits completed in time to start construction of the planned six-story building in April.

***This is great news for Pocatello and it's unique and beautiful skyline. The rendering provided to the ISJ shows 2 modern "L" shaped, low rise, six and five story buildings connected by glass skywalks. The rendering illustration looks like four buildings; so perhaps this is a phase by phase project? If Pocatello is going to grow, it has to embrace density. The illustration did not have a url attached to it so I encourage you to check out the article online to see it.***

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 1:32 AM

The second entertainment venture has been announced today and this one is at Jackson Hole Junction. This literally comes on the heels of the Larry H Miller Megaplex theatre that was announced for Snake River Landing at the end of December.

Showbiz Cinemas will have theatres, a bowling alley, food options and more. The first of it's kind in Idaho is what is being said.

Should look for those two developments to play off each other for awhile. These two announcements plus the event center, office buildings, row houses in Snake River Landing should make for an exciting time for development watchers.

The project manager for Jackson Hole Junction said that they were waiting on this project and had quite a few restaurants lined up to go when said project was announced.

On a side note, 1800 homes are slated to be built in a five Mile radius of the area so southwest Idaho Falls is about to enter a boom phase...it won't look the same and it won't take that long either.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 4:28 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFguy View Post
On a side note, 1800 homes are slated to be built in a five Mile radius of the area so southwest Idaho Falls is about to enter a boom phase...it won't look the same and it won't take that long either.
Question from an outsider: I am aware that the Boise metro area has begun expanding in population more rapidly as of late, but I am wondering, do other metros in Idaho expect similar population growth down the line? Like, could we expect Idaho in a decade to look like Utah now?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
Question from an outsider: I am aware that the Boise metro area has begun expanding in population more rapidly as of late, but I am wondering, do other metros in Idaho expect similar population growth down the line? Like, could we expect Idaho in a decade to look like Utah now?
The beauty of Idaho is how spread out the major metro areas are so it shouldn't ever technically look like the Wasatch Front of Utah at least in the next decade but you never know.

You're correct, the Boise\Nampa metro is growing rapidly and will continue to do so so you may see more of a Utah look that you're asking about.

Twin Falls which is 120 miles to the east in highway miles is an up and comer for Idaho as far as metro areas but the so called Magic Valley is also growing at a fair pace and could eventually sprawl out.

Pocatello is another 100 miles east on the highway and is probably the lone metro area of Idaho that isn't growing rapidly and it may have to do with it's location in between the Twin Falls area and the Idaho Falls area but area leaders are pushing to get it going.

If you turn north on Interstate 15 and go about 45 miles is where you'll run into Idaho falls metro which right now is in a growth stage that no other locals around here have ever seen. You may see a Wasatch setup down the line here as the growth in this portion of the Snake River Plain turns toward Rexburg and may eventually reach as far south as Pocatello, you never know.

To get to the the last two metro areas of the state you'll need to go to the panhandle area. I am not as intuned to the growth of Lewiston and CDA as is unfortunate in Idaho the north and south are quite disconnected but the CDA metro has been growing as well and may end up in a sprawl situation as it eventually should connect with Spokane.

Lewiston is just one that I personally never hear about and may be due to its location but the geography of the area makes it all but impossible to sprawl...

I hope I helped, possibly others may chime in.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 5:15 AM

I enjoy following all these posts, being from IF, as well. You bring in good perspectives. Thank You for your contributions

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 12:35 AM

More New Construction

More dirt moving just south of WalMart, Utah Ave. ( Northwest of Culver's ) I understand it's a Hotel that's been previously mentioned.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 10:43 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Downtown Pocatello has a great stock of beautiful and ornate historic architecture. It has never been a victim of urban renewal and the destruction that comes from that. Old Town is probably one of, if not the best preseved historical railroad boom town downtowns in the west.

Downtown Idaho Falls is also a historical/architectural gem.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 2:30 AM

Glad to see life happening in Idaho Falls

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 9:14 PM

Costco said to open August 14
Hitt and Lincoln
Roundabout still there

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 2:40 PM

Thumbs up

A lot has gone on in the IF area since the most recent post of some years ago.. The main one ( IMO ) , the Mountain America Center , and all perimeter projects.. quite a bit of activity

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop culture View Post
A lot has gone on in the IF area since the most recent post of some years ago.. The main one ( IMO ) , the Mountain America Center , and all perimeter projects.. quite a bit of activity
What is the capacity of Mtn America Center?

I know Boise State had a basketball game there a few weeks ago against St. Mary's. Driven by it my last couple visits, looks like a nice facility

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 8:40 PM
Cascadia Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
The Coeur d' Alene area is growing quickly as well, and is essentially connected to Spokane WA at this point with Post Falls being the bridge between.

2022 CSA population of Spokane-Spokane Valley - CDA is 781,497

Boise is accelerating quickly with their CSA population at 899,574.

These two population centers are so far apart they may as well be in different states.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West