HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 11:07 PM

Photographing Saskatoon

Next week I'll have the chance to spend a half day in Saskatoon with my camera and I want to know what the must-see places and buildings are!

I'd like to stay in the Downtown, Nutana, and University areas on my tour.

I'm coming from Ontario so things that are unique to the area like the streamline moderne houses are of particular interest.

I'd love to hear where the best pieces of architecture are in town, so any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers from Kitchener

After the Rain by Matt, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 11:32 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

There's lots of cast iron statues.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 12:06 AM

Awesome! I'm happy to help you out.

Downtown, most of what is noteworthy will be found on:
- 21st St from 1st Ave to Spadina Cres,
- 2nd Ave from 23rd St south to the River Landing riverfront
- 3rd Ave from 20th St to 22nd St
- in the NW downtown, a cluster of old warehouses from 1st Ave east to Idylwyld Dr (CPR station is at 24th and Idylwyld)
- Spadina Cres - tree-lined riverside drive with beautiful parks and old churches. And of course, the Bessborough
- River Landing - beautiful new riverfront on the south end of downtown, includes the striking Remai Modern Art Gallery, under construction.

Just west of Downtown, consider heading west into Riversdale to check out 20th St, a rapidly gentrifying area that still has some rough and quirky edges. River Landin also extends to Riversdale, and includes our Farmer's Market and new condos.

Nutana: Broadway Ave is the commercial centre with a great vibe. On the side streets, there's great old housing stock, where you're likely to find some streamline moderne and the "prairie style" wood frame hip roof houses with front porches.

- Sask Cres follows along a high bank on the east side of the river with grand old houses and views "down" on Downtown. One block in, University Dr has similarly grand homes along a tree-lined boulevard.

- Lots of opportunity to get photos of the bridges, and from the bridges too - views of downtown offered from Broadway and University Bridges. The black steel truss Traffic Bridge is condemned but still photogenic. You might not have time to make it north to the 33rd St train bridge (great views from there), but it can be photographed from the University Bridge.

The U of S is easy to traverse, but make sure you get to the Bowl, around which the main cluster of old collegiate gothic buildings are found. The Thorvaldson and Peter MacKinnon Buildings are highlights.

Feel free to check out my (much lower quality) photo threads - linked in my signature below - to get a sense of what you might be looking for. I've photographed all the areas described pretty extensively.

Any specific questions, just ask!

I can make you a map later too if that helps - once I'm not on the road anymore. I'm looking forward to seeing your work!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Awesome! I'm happy to help you out.

Downtown, most of what is noteworthy will be found on:
- 21st St from 1st Ave to Spadina Cres,
- 2nd Ave from 23rd St south to the River Landing riverfront
- 3rd Ave from 20th St to 22nd St
- in the NW downtown, a cluster of old warehouses from 1st Ave east to Idylwyld Dr (CPR station is at 24th and Idylwyld)
- Spadina Cres - tree-lined riverside drive with beautiful parks and old churches. And of course, the Bessborough
- River Landing - beautiful new riverfront on the south end of downtown, includes the striking Remai Modern Art Gallery, under construction.

Just west of Downtown, consider heading west into Riversdale to check out 20th St, a rapidly gentrifying area that still has some rough and quirky edges. River Landin also extends to Riversdale, and includes our Farmer's Market and new condos.

Nutana: Broadway Ave is the commercial centre with a great vibe. On the side streets, there's great old housing stock, where you're likely to find some streamline moderne and the "prairie style" wood frame hip roof houses with front porches.

- Sask Cres follows along a high bank on the east side of the river with grand old houses and views "down" on Downtown. One block in, University Dr has similarly grand homes along a tree-lined boulevard.

- Lots of opportunity to get photos of the bridges, and from the bridges too - views of downtown offered from Broadway and University Bridges. The black steel truss Traffic Bridge is condemned but still photogenic. You might not have time to make it north to the 33rd St train bridge (great views from there), but it can be photographed from the University Bridge.

The U of S is easy to traverse, but make sure you get to the Bowl, around which the main cluster of old collegiate gothic buildings are found. The Thorvaldson and Peter MacKinnon Buildings are highlights.

Feel free to check out my (much lower quality) photo threads - linked in my signature below - to get a sense of what you might be looking for. I've photographed all the areas described pretty extensively.

Any specific questions, just ask!

I can make you a map later too if that helps - once I'm not on the road anymore. I'm looking forward to seeing your work!

Echos definitely knows Saskatoon for photography better than I do but I thought I'd put some of the suggestions into a map for you along with a couple of my fav places I like to go in Saskatoon to visit..
Again, CBD will have a lot more of the main cluster of buildings and sights but if you at least walk along Spadina Cres one way, cross a bridge and walk along Sask Cres the other way you'll see some of the best of the river and skyline, & will get you to the U of S with its Collegiate Gothic architecture.
If you get tired of walking and want to see the city from the river a Shearwater boat cruise may be worth while for a break if you time it right with their schedule.
http://www.theprairielily.com/html/c...ular/index.cfm

doing some research may help you concentrate on what you have time to see.
Wiki the city, the university etc..
enjoy!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 8:26 PM

I have an album of houses I find interesting in Saskatoon. They all have location markers, so you can find them on the map beside their description.

Link: Interesting Houses

Most of them are in Nutana and Varsity View, in the vicinity of the university and Broadway Avenue.

Last edited by drm310; Aug 26, 2015 at 8:35 PM. Reason: Clarify

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 2:54 AM
Regina SK

The city's Streamline Moderne homes are virtually all in Nutana and Varsity View.

The CPR and CNR train bridges are a must I would say.

The Robin Hood and Montgomery (way west) mills may be of interest.

Basically Downtown, City Park, Caswell, Mayfair, King George, Riversdale, Nutana, Varsity View, and Buena Vista will give you plenty of heritage architecture to photograph.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 9:04 PM

How'd you make out?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 1:40 AM

Thank you for all of your help!!

I was in town last Wednesday but things were very busy beforehand so I didn't get a chance to read these posts until just before I set out.

I only had 5 hours, and I was on foot with a heavy roll luggage so I didn't really get to cover much other than the Warehouse District, and the Central Core, although I did get a little of the older apartment block area, and a bit along Sask. Cres, and Broadway.

I'll post what I found next week but here's a little preview:

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 5:13 PM

Awesome! Looking forward to it.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2015, 9:41 PM

Here are the first few shots, I'll be creating a city photos thread soon and will definitely link it here!

Saskatoon Skyline by Matt, on Flickr

The Rumley Building by Matt, on Flickr

Balconies by Matt, on Flickr

Wakeboarding the South Saskatchewan by Matt, on Flickr

City Park by Matt, on Flickr

Saskatoon by Matt, on Flickr

Industrial Cycling by Matt, on Flickr

Knox United Church by Matt, on Flickr

The Sturdy Stone Centre by Matt, on Flickr

Nexus Building by Matt, on Flickr

Robin Hood Flour Mill by Matt, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 3:45 PM

Great work! Looking forward to the full tour.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 3:20 AM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan