HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 3:12 PM
It's Hammer Time

2011 Federal Election

This year there is likely a federal election.

Quote:
Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff will be in Hamilton Monday to formally announce that Bountrogianni is seeking the nomination for Hamilton Mountain, targeted by the party as one of its 20 most “winnable ridings.”
http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...e-federal-ring

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 3:37 AM

The most interesting thing about that article when I read it, was the fact that she's now an Ancaster resident. I'm not sure about the boundaries, but if she's not living within the Mountain riding, I would assume that would be a pretty big stick for Charlton to beat her with.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 8:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

Ignatieff conjures up era of Munro, Copps in political vision for Hamilton

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...n-for-hamilton

Marie Bountrogianni is being tasked to rebuild the Liberal party brand in Hamilton.

Federal Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff compared her to Liberal stalwarts John Munro and Sheila Copps in formally announcing her candidacy for Hamilton Mountain Monday

About 200 people attended the announcement at the Carpenter’s Union Hall on Stone Church Road East. This included Michelle Stockwell, the party’s only nominated candidate for Hamilton. She is carrying the Liberal banner in Hamilton East-Stoney Creek.

“Hamilton has such a great Liberal tradition,” Ignatieff said in introducing Bountrogianni. “We’ve had John Munro and Sheila Copps. All were great leaders who have served Hamilton and we’ve got another about to step up.”

Bountrogianni told the gathering she was “humbled” by the comparison with Munro and Copps, but said she will be part of a team running for the Liberals in the next election.

Munro held the old riding of Hamilton East from 1962-1984. Copps held the riding between 1984 and 2004. Both served as Liberal cabinet ministers, with Copps serving a spell as deputy prime minister.

Hamilton Mountain has been held since the 2006 election by New Democrat Chris Charlton.

The Conservative candidate is former city councillor Terry Anderson.

Ignatieff is on an 11-day tour of the 20 “most winnable” ridings for the Liberals. The ridings are all held by the Conservatives, New Democrats or Bloc Quebecois.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 2:48 AM

Munro and Copps? Mentioned as historically positive for Hamilton? Personally I think they're synonymous with Hamilton's decline, but maybe that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Ignatieff conjures up era of Munro, Copps in political vision for Hamilton

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...n-for-hamilton

Marie Bountrogianni is being tasked to rebuild the Liberal party brand in Hamilton.

Federal Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff compared her to Liberal stalwarts John Munro and Sheila Copps in formally announcing her candidacy for Hamilton Mountain Monday

About 200 people attended the announcement at the Carpenter’s Union Hall on Stone Church Road East. This included Michelle Stockwell, the party’s only nominated candidate for Hamilton. She is carrying the Liberal banner in Hamilton East-Stoney Creek.

“Hamilton has such a great Liberal tradition,” Ignatieff said in introducing Bountrogianni. “We’ve had John Munro and Sheila Copps. All were great leaders who have served Hamilton and we’ve got another about to step up.”

Bountrogianni told the gathering she was “humbled” by the comparison with Munro and Copps, but said she will be part of a team running for the Liberals in the next election.

Munro held the old riding of Hamilton East from 1962-1984. Copps held the riding between 1984 and 2004. Both served as Liberal cabinet ministers, with Copps serving a spell as deputy prime minister.

Hamilton Mountain has been held since the 2006 election by New Democrat Chris Charlton.

The Conservative candidate is former city councillor Terry Anderson.

Ignatieff is on an 11-day tour of the 20 “most winnable” ridings for the Liberals. The ridings are all held by the Conservatives, New Democrats or Bloc Quebecois.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 11:16 PM

Sooner than you think

Maybe we can get rid of the NDP do-nothin for Hamilton candidates. Like the last three times did anything for the Steel city.
We Need super strong representation to get Hamilton back on track. Having Taliban Jack as a leader is not an asset, NDP is just a weak social conscience, and I mean that in a good way. Just imaginenif they werenthe ruling party visions of Bob Rae and the man that built the border towns.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 11:18 PM
Closed account

Edit this post.

Last edited by Flamesrule; Mar 22, 2011 at 11:37 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 11:27 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton Mountain riding will be the most interesting race to watch in Hamilton, Chris Charlton vs. Marie Bountrogianni. Kinda excited.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 4:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

Is Brad Clark jumping into the federal race?

It looks as though the Tories may have snagged themselves a star candidate to run in Hamilton East- Stoney Creek: Ward 9 councillor Brad Clark.

Some time Saturday, Clark’s personal web site, www.bradclark.ca, began pointing to the federal Conservative Hamilton East-Stoney Creek election website, instead of the website he used during his 2010 municipal campaign.

http://www.thespec.com/news/election...e-federal-race

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 4:57 PM
It's Hammer Time

Wayne Marston vs Brad Clark? Interesting.

Not liking that he's about to abandon ship when he was justed elected as councillor.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 6:03 PM

Better chance

Hope this is true. Rukivina was an unknown and did OK considering the two big names leading the race..
About time for a change. Maybe get some clout into the riding or a place at the table.
He was in cabinet and has experience, didn't hurt, Baird, Clement.
Could be real entertaining.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 2:41 PM

I never thought I would say it, but Clark as MP might not be the worst thing. Would get a voice for Hamilton back into government. He's no idealogue, nor a moralist like David Sweet. This might also give Fiorentina another chance at ward 9 if she wants it, she was one of the closest to an upset in the election.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 4:41 PM
It's Hammer Time

I wouldn't mind Clark as MP in Ottawa.

Elect Marie Bountrogianni and we'll have good voices from all three parties from Hamilton, Christopherson, Clark and Bountrogianni. All Federal cabinet worthy.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 1:54 PM

I am very disappointed in Brad Clark on this one. I have always had difficulty with municipal councillors using a council seat as a holding position for higher office, but to seek election to a higher office barely 100 days after winning a council seat is disgraceful. Should he be successful in his challenge to Marsden, then the city will need to take on the expense of a byelection. Is Clark going to cover that expense?

It was no secret that this election was on the horizon. Clark should have sat out the November municipal election if he was intending to run in the federal election. And spare me the shallow platitude of promising to donate his Councillor's salary to charity during the campaign - if Clark is serious about running then he should resign his council seat now. A council seat should be treated better than as some consolation prize to fall back on if one's aspirations for higher office don't pan out.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 9:51 PM
It's Hammer Time

CHCH-TV to Broadcast a Complete Leaders' Debate

TORONTO, March 30 /CNW/ - Today Channel Zero announced that it is offended by the Broadcaster Consortium's decision to exclude one of the leaders of Canada's five major federal political parties from their leaders' debate. As a result, Channel Zero is extending an invitation to the leaders of The Conservative Party of Canada, The Liberal Party of Canada, the New Democratic Party, The Bloc Quebecois, and the Green Party of Canada to participate in a nationally televised and fully representative Leaders' Debate.

"Clearly, this type of behaviour illustrates one of the real dangers of media ownership concentration that we have witnessed recently in Canada. Democracy demands that the media simply relay the parties' positions without attempting to control the message. Excluding the leader of a party that garnered 1 out of every 15 votes in the 2008 federal election is just plain wrong", said Cal Millar, President of Channel Zero.

As an independent broadcaster with no network, BDU, or consortium affiliation, Channel Zero believes that the participation of all of the above leaders is of critical interest and importance to Canadians as they head to the polls in just over four weeks.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../30/c7846.html

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
I am very disappointed in Brad Clark on this one. I have always had difficulty with municipal councillors using a council seat as a holding position for higher office, but to seek election to a higher office barely 100 days after winning a council seat is disgraceful. Should he be successful in his challenge to Marsden, then the city will need to take on the expense of a byelection. Is Clark going to cover that expense?

It was no secret that this election was on the horizon. Clark should have sat out the November municipal election if he was intending to run in the federal election. And spare me the shallow platitude of promising to donate his Councillor's salary to charity during the campaign - if Clark is serious about running then he should resign his council seat now. A council seat should be treated better than as some consolation prize to fall back on if one's aspirations for higher office don't pan out.
hear, hear!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 2:15 AM
It's Hammer Time

Tomorrow both Harper and Ignatieff will make a stop in Hamilton.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 11:28 AM

Harper at Convention Centre at 5:30, Ignatieff at Liuna Station for 7:00.

The Ignatieff Liberal function is open to all Canadians.

The Harper Conservative function requires preregistration and attendees will be screened by the Conservative Secret Police and entry may be denied if the Conservative politbureau suspects you may be associated with undesirable elements of society, like environmental awareness groups or student unions.

I know where I'd rather be...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 1:24 PM

We got one of those robo-calls from Michael Ignatieff yesterday inviting us to his town hall at LIUNA Station. I'm sure that means everyone in Hamilton did as I can't imagine I'm on a special liberal mailing list or anything. Didn't get one from Harper though! I kind of wish our NDP riding with David Christopherson was a bit more competitive, if nothing more then to make it more interesting come election day. Our liberal candidate dropped off a pamphlet and hand-wrote "Sorry I missed you" on it. The funny thing was that my wife was home at the time and didn't hear any knock or door bell. Not great door-to-door campaigning!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 1:48 PM
It's Hammer Time

I got the call from Michael Ignatieff as well.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 3:30 PM
It's Hammer Time

Harper pledges to double tax-free savings limits – but not till deficit is beat

Stephen Harper is promising to double the contribution room in Tax-Free Savings Accounts during his second straight day of campaigning in the Greater Toronto Area, a crucial battleground he hopes will help land him a majority government.

If re-elected, he said, a Conservative government would expand annual contribution limits for the savings vehicles to $10,000 from $5,000.

The catch is the Tories would only enact this measure after Ottawa conquers the deficit. The annual budget shortfall is projected to be $29.6-billion this fiscal year and it could be three or four years before the books are balanced.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1974378/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy