HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 3:54 PM
BANNED

Here are a few houses with those 8x11 papers in the windows which usually is a legal notice or an indication of a foreclosure,etc..

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ertyId=7812276

This does not show any of the cards in the window but I have seen this house, it has been empty for quite some time, and currently has the cards in the windows. A few houses away there was another house that was also foreclosed and sold within days for $48,000.

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ertyId=7874901

Havent seen this one, but check out the location of this one by Van Wagners beach rd.

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ertyId=7812268

Here is another one with cards in the window, havent seen this one.

There are more in the $125,000 and less range. And I see plenty of them in my daily travels many without any reality sign but with cards in the windows and usually empty. It has been said that many dont have reality signs....for reasons....

There havent really been any bargins, yet or maybe they have just been available to a few?? The house on John St for $79,000, now sold?? was about the best value/location I have seen yet.
mic67

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 12:18 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton appears to be weathering real estate storm very well, thank you

January 27, 2009
Lisa Grace Marr
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Business/article/502479

The tail end of 2008 was a low point in the Canadian real estate market, but Hamilton's is intact, if a bit bruised.

That's according to a new real estate forecast report by Royal LePage released yesterday.

"We still have good value," said Joe Ferrante, broker of record for Royal LePage in Hamilton and president-elect of the Realtors Association of Hamilton/Burlington. "We are well positioned geographically."

That has insulated Hamilton from some of the dramatic drops in housing prices and sales experienced by other areas, such as Toronto and some pockets of the GTA, he said.

For example, while the price of a detached bungalow in metro Toronto fell by anywhere from 7.6 to 18 per cent, in Hamilton the price drop was negligible, ranging from less than 1 to about 3.4 per cent.

The most dramatic drop in prices in Hamilton in the fourth quarter -- 7.5 per cent -- was on the Mountain.

Royal LePage's overall forecast, however, points to steady growth for all regions in the country.

Ferrante said there are already signs the market is picking up.

"Last Friday, the phones were ringing and I took a number of calls Saturday and Sunday about listings. That's a good thing. We do anticipate good things to come this year."

A recent poll commissioned by Royal LePage found that almost half (49 per cent) of Canadians surveyed agree the economic stimulus measures anticipated as part of today's federal budget announcement will have a positive impact on the country's real estate market.

The poll also found 82 per cent of Canadians agree Barack Obama's inauguration will have a positive impact on consumer confidence.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 10:35 PM

Wow, who woulda thunk that urban sprawl had to slow down one day? Maybe we can start building sustainable developments now. There has never been a better time.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 7:22 AM

Go transit

I was surprised at the amount of building in downtown Toronto along Bay from Union to Wellesley. Mostly hi-rise Condos and $$$$$$$$. So urban sprawl and the drive may be losing fans.
I saw one of those mini Sobeys. That is what we need downtown Hamilton.
Maybe there will be a return to the urban or townlike setting, i hope.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 2:57 PM
Closed account

Besides money, there's something else that Toronto has that Hamilton doesn't: political will. Sprawlsville is still winning in Hamilton because so much of our leadership is out of touch.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
Besides money, there's something else that Toronto has that Hamilton doesn't: political will. Sprawlsville is still winning in Hamilton because so much of our leadership is out of touch.
Yeah. Back home, even though the people protesting the newfound sprawl were raging treehugging lunatics, they still managed to keep the developers at bay, one way or another.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 2:35 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
Yeah. Back home, even though the people protesting the newfound sprawl were raging treehugging lunatics, they still managed to keep the developers at bay, one way or another.
How do you know they were treehuggers? Anyone who's been paying attention knows that sprawl is a net economic drain. Maybe they were accountants.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
Since when were the sprawl developers kept at bay? Its only recently that development on the Mountain has started to slow down. The developers have overextended themselves and prices are falling fast in these subdivisions/surveys. As a contrast, house prices in the city are maintaining value.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 2:21 PM
Closed account

I don't think Millstone is referring to the Mountain, but rather 'back home', wherever home is.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
I don't think Millstone is referring to the Mountain, but rather 'back home', wherever home is.
Pay no attention to the adam, he's a raging lunatic too.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 12:43 AM

I am outright insane!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 12:11 PM

How are we doing this spring? I seems all houses in the Delta area that could not sell since last summer have now been sold, and most houses listed in March/April 2009 are going fast too. Is this everyone else's impression in lower Hamilton?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
How are we doing this spring? I seems all houses in the Delta area that could not sell since last summer have now been sold, and most houses listed in March/April 2009 are going fast too. Is this everyone else's impression in lower Hamilton?
When priced appropriately, they are still selling in my neighbourhood for generally the same price as last year.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 1:13 PM

Yeah, it's hard to tell what they're selling for but the listing prices are around the same level... maybe a tad lower. This is just for down the mountain, I havn't looked around the burbs on the mountain. During a recent drive to Limeridge I noticed a lot of for sale signs tho.

There are a bunch of houses that I've noticed have been around since last summer... but they're dumps IMHO.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 1:56 PM

I live just east of Gage Park south of King and my house sold in 3 days in March to a couple from Toronto.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 2:12 PM

I've always browsed the Resale Homes magazine the last few years and I've noticed in the last 5 issues or so that they've slipped in a lot more articles than they have in the past. Articles on buying advice, selling, etc... how to stage your house, mortgages, the state of the housing market, etc. They seem a lot more desperate than they were in the past - that has to be some sort of indication of the market.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
I live just east of Gage Park south of King and my house sold in 3 days in March to a couple from Toronto.
Congratulations LikeHamilton! Are you moving out of the area?

There seems to be a huge wave of Torontonians coming in. We moved from the GTA not too long ago and loving every minute of it. The evidence is mostly anecdotal, but even our dentist in the GTA said: "you too??? seems like everyone is moving to Hamilton these days, it must be a 'happening place' right now!".

Let's hope Hamilton doesn't lose its easy-going and friendly atmosphere any time soon!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 4:59 PM

Torontonians who make Hamilton their home will help bring much needed affluence to the area. So are there many folk from Toronto looking at moving to the mountain? Or is it just the lower city?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Torontonians who make Hamilton their home will help bring much needed affluence to the area. So are there many folk from Toronto looking at moving to the mountain? Or is it just the lower city?
I think it's predominantly the lower city.

It's all about urban living, because if you wanted suburban you can buy a home in Whitby, Ajax, Burlington, Oakville, Brampton, Milton, etc.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 5:17 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Torontonians who make Hamilton their home will help bring much needed affluence to the area.
Let's hope they're bringing their social and intellectual capital as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy