HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 11:33 AM

Isn’t Detroit a shithole, yet they and one of the best teams for the longest time attracting some of the best players.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 1:59 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Spoken like someone who has never been there.

What a shithole...
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=251683
Yeah - saying that's the Winnipeg of Ohio is very flattering to Winnipeg...

It actually looks a bit like Winnipeg - if we had way more money.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 2:13 PM

Columbus is probably one of the fastest-improving cities in the Midwest. The new arena district is quite nice, and just outside of downtown is the German Village which is one of the most under-the-radar urban neighbourhoods in the U.S.

I still wouldn't choose it over Philly or the NY metro, but it's far better than say, Indianapolis.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 2:57 PM
Community Guy

Indy is a fantastic city as well and on par with Columbus. They compare very well to the Edmonton's and Calgary's of the world in many regards, but are FAR more charming and beautiful.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 2:59 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Calgary offered north of 10 million*8 years versus 9.7x7 . His after tax pay would be 500k higher in Calgary without any creative accounting.
But you would still be in Calgary...

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 3:04 PM

Apart from the very central downtown area of Indianapolis, I found the city to be pretty textbook Midwest rustbelt. The city seems to be built around the convention centre, with tons of surface parking and gaps in the fabric. Almost all of the inner city neighbourhoods adjacent to downtown feature far more urban blight than Columbus, and without the benefit of a flagship State University and the contiguous commercial strip connecting it to the core.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 3:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
Isn’t Detroit a shithole, yet they and one of the best teams for the longest time attracting some of the best players.
Most of the city is the way that it is, but it still has appreciable pockets of the "stuff" that rich people like pro athletes like.

Plus it has some of the wealthiest suburban areas in the US. (Even if they aren't SSP's cup of tea.)

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 3:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Columbus is also arguably a better location, with Calgary's only advantage over it being the presence of some of the world's greatest mountains nearby - not a small deal to some people, but that's not everything to everyone.

Overall there is still way more "stuff" within striking distance for you and your family smack in the middle of the central-eastern US.

Not to mention milder winters and an earlier start to spring.

And of course way shorter flight times for away games for an NHL player.

Canadians often assume that life is shit in any US metro area outside of a tiny handful of their prime cities.

I mean, the US has many problems but like any place there are both good and bad sides to living there.

This is true of Canada too.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 3:19 PM
Community Guy

Indy's central neighbourhoods are fantastic, with far more character and much more affordable than Calgary or Edmonton for that matter.

My trip from a few yrs ago.
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...highlight=indy

Columbus ain't S.F. or NYC or Chicago, but it holds its own and is a nice midsized city and appears to have a good quality of life and great arena district/area.

That area has a certain charm that western cities will never have or match.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 3:35 PM

I don't consider myself in any way partial to Columbus, but that was a huge wtf post, thurmas. Gaudreau's actions should tell you pretty clearly who wins the Calgary/Columbus showdown in his eyes.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't consider myself in any way partial to Columbus, but that was a huge wtf post, thurmas.
Ha ha I have never visited Columbus as its always been in the shadows of Cincinnati and Cleveland but I assumed it would be the Winnipeg of Ohio.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 3:58 PM

After seeing the pics of Columbus I still couldn't live there. It has lots of nice old brick buildings but I'm super outdoorsy and it's flat as a pancake.
All of its best features are man made. My 2 cents.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
After seeing the pics of Columbus I still couldn't live there. It has lots of nice old brick buildings but I'm super outdoorsy and it's flat as a pancake.
All of its best features are man made. My 2 cents.
I'm sure Johnny Gaudreau wishes he could have signed in Castlegar.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
I'm sure Johnny Gaudreau wishes he could have signed in Castlegar.
Haha we don't have enough bricks.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 4:25 PM
ハルウララ

The only really good reasoning i've seen for Columbus over the other options is that Gaudreau's wife supposedly works as a children's hospital nurse and Columbus has one of the better children's hospitals in the US (Nationwide). Gaudreau gets paid, she gets a job at a great facility, and both are closer to family (New Jersey & Philadelphia respectively).

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 4:29 PM

^ I would imagine there is a fair bit to it more than employment options for the Mrs. Let's face it, when you have one spouse making many millions of dollars and other making, let's say, a hundred grand more or less, money talks. Besides, you can find a job as a pediatric nurse anywhere, at least anywhere that there is a NHL team.

I'd bet that there are some personal connections and/or opportunities (perception of a team on the upswing that he will be a key part of) that drew Gaudreau to Columbus.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 4:29 PM
arf

Wow, the trash Columbus sentiment is strong.

He's probably a 40 minute flight from most of his family now and not subject to border crossings to do that.

I'm as surprised as anyone that Columbus was the winner here, but it's a metro of similar size to Pittsburgh and a reasonable location in the US. I don't think it's my destination to be on a Stanley Cup winner, but there's a lot of pieces there in the forwards and obviously Gaudreau saw things that he liked.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 4:32 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
^ I would imagine there is a fair bit to it more than employment options for the Mrs.
You'd be surprised. There have been other NHL players in the past who have had teams on trade lists so that their spouse can work in select markets.

Quote:
Let's face it, when you have one spouse making many millions of dollars and other making, let's say, a hundred grand more or less, money talks. Besides, you can find a job as a pediatric nurse anywhere, at least anywhere that there is a NHL team.
Gaudreau taking $250K/year less to be in Columbus instead of NY isn't that big of a deal at the end of the day if his spouse is happy working somewhere that's good for them.

Quote:
I'd bet that there are some personal connections and/or opportunities (perception of a team on the upswing that he will be a key part of) that drew Gaudreau to Columbus.
I don't think Columbus is particularly a team on the upswing these days. Not as much as a team like New Jersey would be. Maybe i'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Wow, the trash Columbus sentiment is strong.
Lots of people here haven't been there by the looks of things.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 4:38 PM

I was in C-bus for a couple of days in 2008 to watch the Buckeyes. Granted, back then I wasn’t into exploring neighbourhoods and what not, but I did pass through Downtown, walk along the river and go to the art gallery, etc. I was impressed. There’s good energy from OSU that pervades across the whole region so it will never feel dead, though at some points it reaches obnoxious levels.

I said back then and I say now, if I had to live in the MW, I’d probably choose Columbus, even ahead of CHI. Got OSU, The Crew and CBJ to entertain for football, basketball, soccer and hockey. Can get further pro sports (and more college) in CLE and CIN. Of course, I’m a huge sports guy so its central location to so many pro and college hotspots is a huge plus for me. And it’s not far from the Appalaichans, which I prefer hanging out in from a cultural standpoint than the Rockies. I can feel the culture and history there. Of course, the Rockies have better scenery but Appalachia is underrated.

In terms of CGY vs COL, if I were an American from NJ (closer) and a millionaire pro athlete (giant house in the best neighbourhood), based on my personal lifestyle, I'd take CBJ over CGY. I did see the Flames as contenders and the 'Jackets for some reason just can't take the next step...ever, so from a competitive standpoint, CGY was in a better position. Maybe he's like me. As he gets older he's just not as competitive of a person and is more mellow. Not to mention with so many teams, in this salary cap era, it's harder and harder to pick a serious contender and get paid at the same time so that part of the decision might be lower than back in the day.

For the US/Canada thing, I prefer the Canadian way of living than the US. I mean, when I was in Columbus, fresh off seeing Harold and Kumar (the movie and seeing Kal Penn and John Cho in person getting shawarma after the club in DT Toronto) I had to try White Castle for the first time. While waiting there was a lady loudly talking on the phone about her parole and drug problems and other stuff that was TMI. Like when I was in Indy for the US GP in 2003, we went to a gun store for the novelty of it and some lady casually takes a gun out of her purse and puts it on the counter and says "Something is wrong with, can you please fix it?" like as if we were bringing our cell phone for repair. When we told the guy running the store that we called a dozen hotels and there no vacancy and we were trying to figure out where to sleep, he said DO NOT sleep in a parking lot, everyone has a gun. We found a campground in the end and slept in the van.

On a related note, we stopped at Wendy's when in Columbus. No, not because it was founded in Ohio, it just happened to be convenient. But it turns out it was meant to be because one of my five nuggets was shaped like Ohio. Okay, I'm sure there have been others shaped like that since, but it felt special at the time lol.

Last edited by megadude; Jul 14, 2022 at 4:59 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 4:46 PM

The whole league is still trying to figure out why Columbus the day after. I've heard a few guesses that it was indeed his wife's preference and perhaps her family is from nearby?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada