HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 4:27 PM
Community Guy

A few rappers rock them in the States; with quite a few 1 star ratings of their QA/QC.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 7:05 PM

Speaking of cliches, this douchebag went viral this week after an unhinged tirade at a Tim Hortons drive-thru in BC. Anyone surprised at the vehicle of choice?

https://globalnews.ca/news/9468271/v...ortons-surrey/

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 7:34 PM
the first stamp is free

^ it's not a half-ton big-3 truck - so yeah, actually a bit surprised.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ it's not a half-ton big-3 truck - so yeah, actually a bit surprised.
Gas in BC is expensive.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 12:04 AM

Video Link

So happy to see this video.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 12:50 AM

The love affair for SUVs here in Vancouver is particularly bizarre, given the cost of gas, narrow roads and small parking spots.

The Texas anecdote rings true here too. During the snowstorm in January, just about every vehicle I passed by in a ditch on highway 1 was some sort of SUV.

There hasn’t been much talk about this, but the Federal BEV rebate is also encouraging these
Larger vehicles by providing a higher price threshold for SUVs and pickup trucks than sedans.

Last edited by theman23; Mar 9, 2023 at 1:19 AM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 2:06 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Video Link

I agree with every single word in this video and am disgusted by how massive SUVs and pickup trucks have taken over our roads.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 2:19 AM

This is why I'd like to see vehicles taxed by vehicle size. Unfortunately, now that these vehicle trends are cultural, even the shift to EVs isn't yielding us smaller and more efficient vehicles.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 3:02 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
This is why I'd like to see vehicles taxed by vehicle size. Unfortunately, now that these vehicle trends are cultural, even the shift to EVs isn't yielding us smaller and more efficient vehicles.
They're actually heavier and more dangerous.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
They're actually heavier and more dangerous.
And more inefficient and expensive. The battery pack in an F150 Lightning is a whopping 131 kWh. This is enough for two CUVs or three sedans or hatchbacks. If people keep wondering why EVs are so expensive, this is actually part of the problem.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 2:30 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Video Link

Not Just Bikes can sometimes come across as a sanctimonious know-it-all, but in this one he's 100% on the mark. The size creep and market share domination of SUVs - and the complete lack of any sort of policy response - is infuriating. We have less road space than ever, so why are cars getting bigger? Carbon emissions have never been more important, so why are we making cars less efficient? Road & pedestrian fatalities have never been higher, so why the fuck are we making cars more dangerous? It's completely backwards. And they're not even practical or fun to drive.

It's depressing to look at any car maker's current lineup. Just about all of them are dominated by big, dumb trucks; while on the opposite end, subcompacts have all but disappeared. Even traditional manufacturers of sports cars like Porsche and Aston Martin have gotten into the SUV game; while manufacturers known for their compact cars like Fiat have discontinued their tiny 500s and Spiders in favour of the crossover 500X.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 2:28 PM

Speaking as a guy who owns one, pickup trucks aren't convenient for suburban OR urban living. I use mine for offroading & camping/boating trips (a Jeep would probably do a better job, but the truck is an old hand me down from a relative), and outside of that I'm car free. I navigate Kingston on foot, e-bike, and bus, and take the train or the bus to go to other cities. Occasionally I use the truck for buying very big things and its a PITA - fitting the thing in parking lots is annoying.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 2:58 PM

Agreed, that Not Just Bikes video hits the nail on the head about increased risk to everyone as vehicles have gotten larger and it being a woeful dereliction of regulation to just pretend that the "light truck" classification only applies to a small segment of sales for work trucks and utility vehicles.

It is absolute insanity that all roadgoing vehicles do not have to share some degree of compatibility between bumper/crumple zones. Likewise, the combination of generally much more elevated headlight placement on light truck-based SUVs and pickup trucks and nuclear blast brightness of headlights these days is undeniably dangerous. Not Just Bikes sometimes comes off as sanctimonious in his videos, but his outrage about this subject is absolutely warranted.

How has it come to pass that the majority of automakers can seem to just give the finger to basically everyone and build dangerous products that have killed, are killing, and will continue to kill people due to their fundamental design?

How is it possible that crash testing doesn't compare vehicles of different classes and hold the more dangerous party to a higher standard?

Why is visibility of and lethality to pedestrians seemingly not factored into vehicle regulation at all?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
News that came as a surprise to me today:

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/12...ibu-exclusive/

Like the old guy in Monty Python’s Holy Grail who doesn’t want to go on the cart, it looks like the mainstream American sedan says “I’m not dead yet!”
I rented a Malibu a couple of weeks ago. It is the perfect car for a society of responsible adults that rightly views vehicles as an appliance designed to assist them in their daily affairs, as opposed to selecting vehicles to help with their survivalist, outdoorsman or Italian race car driver cosplay fantasies.

So not surprisingly, the end is probably near for this model.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 3:26 PM

Just watched the NJB video - its very comprehensive; he touches on many details that are usually left out of these discussions. One is that many newer trucks aren't even really useful for the tasks that pickups are needed for - with design changes like shorter beds. Many older guys I know who love trucks rant about this all the time.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I rented a Malibu a couple of weeks ago. It is the perfect car for a society of responsible adults that rightly views vehicles as an appliance designed to assist them in their daily affairs, as opposed to selecting vehicles to help with their survivalist, outdoorsman or Italian race car driver cosplay fantasies.

So not surprisingly, the end is probably near for this model.
Why does the Malibu have such a fast roofline? This is what helped doom sedans, carmakers who made them impractical by chasing aerodynamics that make little difference in the real world. Worst offenders - the new Mercedes EV sedans.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Why does the Malibu have such a fast roofline? This is what helped doom sedans, carmakers who made them impractical by chasing aerodynamics that make little difference in the real world. Worst offenders - the new Mercedes EV sedans.
I didn't find there to be much that's impractical about the Malibu. If more cars like that replaced the Dodge Rams and Nissan Armadas, not to mention the Porsches that rip up my residential street at 70+ km/h it would make for a much better and safer urban environment.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I agree with every single word in this video and am disgusted by how massive SUVs and pickup trucks have taken over our roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Not Just Bikes can sometimes come across as a sanctimonious know-it-all, but in this one he's 100% on the mark. The size creep and market share domination of SUVs - and the complete lack of any sort of policy response - is infuriating. We have less road space than ever, so why are cars getting bigger? Carbon emissions have never been more important, so why are we making cars less efficient? Road & pedestrian fatalities have never been higher, so why the fuck are we making cars more dangerous? It's completely backwards. And they're not even practical or fun to drive.

It's depressing to look at any car maker's current lineup. Just about all of them are dominated by big, dumb trucks; while on the opposite end, subcompacts have all but disappeared. Even traditional manufacturers of sports cars like Porsche and Aston Martin have gotten into the SUV game; while manufacturers known for their compact cars like Fiat have discontinued their tiny 500s and Spiders in favour of the crossover 500X.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Agreed, that Not Just Bikes video hits the nail on the head about increased risk to everyone as vehicles have gotten larger and it being a woeful dereliction of regulation to just pretend that the "light truck" classification only applies to a small segment of sales for work trucks and utility vehicles.

It is absolute insanity that all roadgoing vehicles do not have to share some degree of compatibility between bumper/crumple zones. Likewise, the combination of generally much more elevated headlight placement on light truck-based SUVs and pickup trucks and nuclear blast brightness of headlights these days is undeniably dangerous. Not Just Bikes sometimes comes off as sanctimonious in his videos, but his outrage about this subject is absolutely warranted.

How has it come to pass that the majority of automakers can seem to just give the finger to basically everyone and build dangerous products that have killed, are killing, and will continue to kill people due to their fundamental design?

How is it possible that crash testing doesn't compare vehicles of different classes and hold the more dangerous party to a higher standard?

Why is visibility of and lethality to pedestrians seemingly not factored into vehicle regulation at all?
I agree with all of the above.

I actually had to take a break while watching the video because of the narrator. His sanctimonious, 'bitchy' tone and obvious bias (and in some cases, lame examples) take away from the effectiveness of the video (IMHO). However, once I got past that, I realized that he has echoed just about every grievance I've had with the American (and therefore, Canadian) auto industry over the past 30 years. And by association, the 'car' buying public in supporting this foolishness over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Just watched the NJB video - its very comprehensive; he touches on many details that are usually left out of these discussions. One is that many newer trucks aren't even really useful for the tasks that pickups are needed for - with design changes like shorter beds. Many older guys I know who love trucks rant about this all the time.
That's a great point. While I've never "needed" or wanted a truck, I do know guys (mostly older, but some younger) who own trucks and they say the same thing. Older "full size" trucks were smaller and lower, with full-size (8 ft) beds, meaning they could carry more stuff and were easier to load - you could even load items from the side, which is all but impossible with today's behemoths.

Two of the 'younger' guys I know had the old-style Ford Rangers, which were smaller pickups and were more than adequate for what they needed to haul around (one guy was building a shop in his back yard, and the other was always doing work around his house, so hauling building supplies, bags of concrete, etc.). One of the guys' Rangers rusted out, and he couldn't find a similar sized pickup on the market (because nobody makes them anymore), so he instead got a utility trailer to haul behind his Civic, that was adequate for most of his hauling needs.

So... yeah, huge pickups and SUVs have nothing to do with actual usage and capability for most people - it's all about 'style', 'image', egos (or more accurately, insecurities), and following the flock. That said, I recognize that some actually do have practical use for the large capacities of some of these trucks, but that's why automakers offered medium-duty trucks for those who needed that sort of thing.

Good video - should be mandatory viewing (with a different narrator... lol) for anybody looking to purchase a new vehicle. Thanks for posting it, Truenorth.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 7:19 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

SUVs definitely do serve a purpose - the higher ground clearance can be very useful in rural areas with rough roads or in places that frequently have heavy snowfall. But that's no reason for them to be giant monstrosities. And unfortunately there's even less choice amongst SUVs now as it seems the compact 2-door models like the Suzuki Samurai or the 2-door Land Rover Defender have either been discontinued or are no longer available in North America; while even the formerly mid-sized ones like the RAV4 and CRV-5 have become longer, wider, taller, heavier, and have bigger hoods. Eg.

https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/com...-2019-suv-swb/

There's definitely still demand for those smaller trucks though - I see a ton of older-model RAV4s, Foresters, Samurais, etc. around here. While the one new 2-door model - the latest Ford Bronco - seems quite popular. So much of the growth in size & market share of SUVs seems less like consumer demand and more like the result of coercion & having less choice.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 8:04 PM

So there are cities where you don't want to own a car - like New York - but if you did own a car, the infrastructure is actually reasonably suitable for large cars. New York actually has fairly wide streets, even its side streets.

Toronto isn't quite on the same level as NYC when it comes to not wanting to own a car, but the width of the streets, alleys, garages (if you have one), and the driveways in pre-war parts of town is such that you don't want to own a big car. For example, I live in a pre-war semi with a narrrow driveway between me and my neighbour that leads to the back where a small garage sits. I drive a CR-V, which is the largest car I would ever own; anything larger and I'm scratching the mirrors. By now I'm used to finding the exact spot to back in, but when I first moved here it was kind of like that scene in the movie Roma where the dad comes home in his giant 70s tank and forwards and reverses for what seems like an eternity. There are other neighbourhoods where the parking is a pad in front of the house, often in a space so small that you have to fit the hood under the porch - in which case not only are you limiting the length of your car, but also the height.

I find that this really cuts down on the size of cars in the inner city of Toronto. This, plus the fact that you don't really need a car means that a lot of cars owned by people - even well-off professionals are usually subcompacts that are from an older era, when manufacturers actually sold cars and they were smaller.

I think that Montreal might have a similar dynamic, but Vancouver doesn't - its sidestreets are fairly wide and the alleys are wide enough for garbage trucks, and therefore for any large SUV or pickup to navigate through.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada