HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
The Tri-Hotel is the development of the year, in my book (an honor that should be shared with the Division/Ashland project).

I vote rewards for both of them. Solid design, and NO PARKING!
Enough with all the social engineering/social justice comments on this forum! Everywhere in the world perople drive cars to get places. Cars are not evil, nor are the people that drive them. Personally, a business that chooses to omit parking spaces for their customers isn't interested in my business.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 4:02 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvfr800i View Post
Enough with all the social engineering/social justice comments on this forum! Everywhere in the world perople drive cars to get places. Cars are not evil, nor are the people that drive them. Personally, a business that chooses to omit parking spaces for their customers isn't interested in my business.
^ Way to put words in a person's mouth.

I never said cars are evil, nor did I say that people don't drive cars. Heck, I own 2 cars. If you wish to boycott a business because it doesn't have parking, well that's your own little odd dilemma, because some of Chicago's finest retailers and restaurants don't have any.

You probably aren't going to like this forum very much, by the way...

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 4:23 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Oh no! Not YOUR business! Buildings that omit parking are not vying for your business or the business of someone that needs a car at that location. Trust me, if the building has a good location, they will sell/rent space.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 5:07 PM

Quote:
^ Way to put words in a person's mouth.

I never said cars are evil, nor did I say that people don't drive cars. Heck, I own 2 cars. If you wish to boycott a business because it doesn't have parking, well that's your own little odd dilemma, because some of Chicago's finest retailers and restaurants don't have any.

You probably aren't going to like this forum very much, by the way...
You specifically pointed to a purposeful lack of parking as a positive feature of a project, and I took exception to that. With an understanding of the many parking podium discussions on this forum, I find the lack of parking facilities in a newly constructed business meant to serve persons coming to Chicago from somewhere else...often via car...a potential oversight, and maybe not a positive. No place to park is a big PITA, and it can have an effect on where I choose to spend my money.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 6:15 PM
The City

Quote:
You specifically pointed to a purposeful lack of parking as a positive feature of a project, and I took exception to that. With an understanding of the many parking podium discussions on this forum, I find the lack of parking facilities in a newly constructed business meant to serve persons coming to Chicago from somewhere else...often via car...a potential oversight, and maybe not a positive. No place to park is a big PITA, and it can have an effect on where I choose to spend my money.
HORSESHIT

You specifically said:

Quote:
Cars are not evil, nor are the people who drive them
An exact quote. Without understanding why I find lack of parking a positive feature for a project, you already drew your own conclusions. Only now do you seem to be attempting to backtrack.

Next time learn who you're talking to on this forum before saying stupid things like that.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 7:16 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's what large centralized consolidated parking garages are for. I'm positive people will be able to drive up to Tri-Hotel just like any other hotel and valet will unload and park their vehicle for them. Rates are basically teh same whether or not the hotel has parking on their property. Most lease in shared structures. Simularly to residential buildings. Most apartments (including mine) up in Gold Coast rent spots through 900 North Michigan. That large garage for the most part serves the neighborhood. I don't think every new building needs parking. And I applaud certain developers for purusing a traditional urban development in an area well served by transit. If people choose to own a car, such as I did in the past, there's tons of parking options in this city. If I didn't feel like parking in a garage or lot. There was always free street parking scattered around downtown. (Yes it does exist)

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 7:33 PM

Quote:
HORSESHIT

You specifically said:

An exact quote. Without understanding why I find lack of parking a positive feature for a project, you already drew your own conclusions. Only now do you seem to be attempting to backtrack.

Next time learn who you're talking to on this forum before saying stupid things like that.
No backtracking here. Your exact original comment emphasized: "...and NO PARKING!" which gives me the idea that you thought it is a really good thing for the hotel to exclude a parking provision for its car-based customers. It's not a stretch to take such a comment as anti-car. If you said "...and no ugly parking podium..." or some other design based observation, maybe I would've taken the comment in a different light. But you didn't. So enlighten me: What's so noteworthy about this project having "NO PARKING?"

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 8:17 PM

Quote:
No backtracking here. Your exact original comment emphasized: "...and NO PARKING!" which gives me the idea that you thought it is a really good thing for the hotel to exclude a parking provision for its car-based customers. It's not a stretch to take such a comment as anti-car. If you said "...and no ugly parking podium..." or some other design based observation, maybe I would've taken the comment in a different light. But you didn't. So enlighten me: What's so noteworthy about this project having "NO PARKING?"
Do you believe this hotel will NOT be able to provide parking to its clients?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Do you believe this hotel will NOT be able to provide parking to its clients?
As Hayward said above, I'm sure the hotel will have an arraingement, but for an out-of-towner, wouldn't onsite parking maybe be a little bit more preferable to an off-site garage a block or blocks away?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 9:05 PM

Quote:
As Hayward said above, I'm sure the hotel will have an arraingement, but for an out-of-towner, wouldn't onsite parking maybe be a little bit more preferable to an off-site garage a block or blocks away?
uh...most hotels in downtown use valet parking anyway so what's the difference?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 9:50 PM

Quote:
God forbid you take the Ashland, Division or Milwaukee buses or, gasp, the Blue Line, to get dropped off directly next to the tower of pizza hut.

Sound the alert! The apartments in this building will not be patronized by purveyors the motorcar!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Typically you have to "Opt Out" of the hotel parking your vehicle, otherwise it's a basic service and the valet will handle it from there, though competitive with what you'd pay at garages nearby if you parked on your own.

Hotel patrons don't always know where there car is parked, just that it will be retrieved in minutes once they go down to the lobby and ask for it.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 11:51 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
You are correct - they are not interested in your business. Get over yourself - not every business wants to pay additional construction, assume additional risk, and have additional maintenance costs just to get extra business from people who will only patronize them if they can do so while driving. Everywhere in the world there are people who choose to drive is true, but it's equally true that everywhere in the world there are people who do not drive and it's equally true that all else being equal it's less expensive to have customers who don't demand parking than to cater to drivers.

Quote:
"often via car" - I run a small guest-oriented business primarily serving out-of-town guests. Do you know what percentage of my guests drive? Approximately 5%. And those 5% usually also cost me the most in time and orientation because they arrive less predicably, are less confident in their ability to find their way around, are more scared of their surroundings so require more hand-holding, and have usually (with only one exception being a couple of Aussie in town to drive Route 66) been less sophisticated guests.

As such, I can absolutely see a business catering to people from outside the city deciding to not cater to drivers and focus on people who are more comfortable with a more traditional urban experience.

In other words, not only do I not go after drivers, I actually actively discourage them from becoming customers and it hasn't hurt my business one bit and I have much less stress. And I live a 5 minute walk from the Tri-Hotel development.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 12:18 AM

Another step backwards. West Loop residents shoot down "Gateway to the West Loop".

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130...ett-hears-them

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 12:29 AM

Speaking of Antunovich, I never saw this rendering of the Post Office redevelopment plan.

http://www.antunovich.com/ontheboards.html

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 12:44 AM

That would block my view of somethingorother so I'm flatly against it.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 2:04 AM

Haven't seen that yet. Is that the newest proposal? I heard they were working on something on the radio the other week.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 2:10 AM

Very Water Tower Place meets chubby 7 S Dearborn.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 2:48 AM

A purposeful lack of parking IS a positive feature of any project in the city.

Quote:

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 4:14 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Chicago View Post
Speaking of Antunovich, I never saw this rendering of the Post Office redevelopment plan.

http://www.antunovich.com/ontheboards.html

WTF. Lets combine, Sears, Trump, and 7 South Dearborn, stick it on a titan sized parking podium, and call it an original plan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development