PEI: 5,660 km
Jamaica: 10,830
Belgium: 30,688 sq km
Vancouver Island: 32 100
Netherlands: 33,760
Nova Scotia: 55,284 sq km
New Brunswick: 72,908 sq km
Russia: 16,380,000

So we’re bigger than Monaco but smaller than Russia if that helps folks.

Population grown is steady, but not explosive for the reasons others have mentioned - just too damn expensive and remote/expensive to get on and off of. I mean it’s not that far at all from the mainland of the USA and the rest of Canada but that always means leaving by boat or plane, neither of which is cheap. Even going over to Vancouver by car is not really a worthwhile day trip unless you want to catch the first and last ferry and be exhausted by the end of it all.

When Harbour Air (seaplane) has a sale for their ‘quick tickets’ I try to get my hand on those, otherwise a one way flight is around $250. They only put those on sale two times a year, limited quantity and basically you fly standby for about $75 one way. So worth it though, as I can show up at the downtown harbour in Victoria at 8:35 a.m - the flight takes off at 9 and I’m downtown Vancouver at 9:40. Easy peasy, like a bus trip really, plus spectacular views.

To answer Franks question - the way most people get to Seattle for a football/baseball game, concert or getaway weekend is by the Victoria Clipper. It’s a Seattle based company that has a fleet of high speed catamarans that runs between downtown Victoria and downtown Seattle. It’s about $120 one way and takes 2 hours and 45 minutes. There is also the Coho ferry that travels from the inner harbour in downtown Victoria to Port Angeles in Washington State (literally right across the straight). Cool mid-century style ferry is immaculate condition and that goes 2 to 4 round trips per day depending on the season. Trip is 90 minutes. This is also a car ferry, so you can do the long drive down to Seattle from there if you want. The other option is to take a seaplane from downtown Victoria to downtown Seattle, that’s a 45 minute trip.

Other reasons why Vancouver Island population isn’t bigger than it is - the west coast is rugged, remote and very wet, it’s called a rainforest for a reason, lol. Check out the Netflix nature series Island of the Sea Wolves and you’ll see the west coast in all it’s beauty. Stupid Hollywood name though.. they’re just friggin wolves you have adapted to living on the coast, lol. The centre spine of the island is mountainous, so uninhabitable.

Picture of the Coho ferry on it’s way to Port Angeles in the background:

2021-1231-09 Victoria Dallas Road by Peter, on Flickr

Couple more looking across from Victoria. A popular summertime activity for the spandex cyclist crowd is take their bikes across and ride to the top and back of Hurricane Ridge (the mountains in the background) and then back to Victoria the same day.

Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic Mtns. by Lindsay Mac, on Flickr

Alone by Per@vicbcca, on Flickr

Victoria Clipper arriving in Victoria from Seattle:

DHE_1124.jpg by Cameron Knowlton, on Flickr

Ah, and one of my own pics, showing the ferry to Seattle, the one to Port Angeles and a plane likely headed to Vancouver:

Victoria Inner Harbour - always buzzing.. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

The interior of Vancouver Island:

On the Comox Glacier: The view westward by M.E. Sanseverino, on Flickr

Golden Hinde - tallest peak on Vancouver Island.

Golden Hinde by Walter Moar, on Flickr

Mount Tom Taylor:

Summit by Walter Moar, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 10:57 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Technically Ottawa's central-east/south end is also an island!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Ottawa

And don't forgot the Toronto Islands - population 700 (split probably 60/40 between Algonquin Island and Ward's Island).

The new island being created in the Port Lands will be quite a bit more populated though, once completed:

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 11:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Vancouver Island is an absolute treasure. I've been over there perhaps a dozen times (usually for camping/hiking trips, Pacific Rim National Park Reserve, but also West Coast Trail, Qualicum Beach, Miracle Beach, Stamp Falls, Sproat Lake, Great Central Lake, Mt. Arrowsmith, Mt. Washington, up around Comox and Campbell River, Cameron Lake, other places in the interior, and along the coast).
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -President Lyndon B. Johnson
Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 1:42 AM
Suburbs Suck

Question: should we start a separate "your province's island" thread?
Dumb question: does every province have at least one island?
Really dumb question: do the prairie province's have islands??

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 2:16 AM
♒︎ Declassified

Newfoundland has a few populated islands left:

Bell Island
Random Island (connected)
St. Brendans
Twillingate & New World Island (connected)
Change Islands
Fogo Island
Greenspond Island (connected)
Ramea
Long Island (Gaultois)
Pilleys Island (connected)

There may be others I am not thinking of.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 2:27 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Question: should we start a separate "your province's island" thread?
Dumb question: does every province have at least one island?
Really dumb question: do the prairie province's have islands??
Calgary has the country’s largest island population of exotic animals.

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
Other interesting size comparisons:

Monaco: 2 sq km
Bermuda: 50 sq km
PEI: 5,660 km
Jamaica: 10,830
Belgium: 30,688 sq km
Vancouver Island: 32 100
Netherlands: 33,760
Nova Scotia: 55,284 sq km
New Brunswick: 72,908 sq km
Russia: 16,380,000

So we’re bigger than Monaco but smaller than Russia if that helps folks.

Population grown is steady, but not explosive for the reasons others have mentioned - just too damn expensive and remote/expensive to get on and off of. I mean it’s not that far at all from the mainland of the USA and the rest of Canada but that always means leaving by boat or plane, neither of which is cheap. Even going over to Vancouver by car is not really a worthwhile day trip unless you want to catch the first and last ferry and be exhausted by the end of it all.

When Harbour Air (seaplane) has a sale for their ‘quick tickets’ I try to get my hand on those, otherwise a one way flight is around $250. They only put those on sale two times a year, limited quantity and basically you fly standby for about $75 one way. So worth it though, as I can show up at the downtown harbour in Victoria at 8:35 a.m - the flight takes off at 9 and I’m downtown Vancouver at 9:40. Easy peasy, like a bus trip really, plus spectacular views.

To answer Franks question - the way most people get to Seattle for a football/baseball game, concert or getaway weekend is by the Victoria Clipper. It’s a Seattle based company that has a fleet of high speed catamarans that runs between downtown Victoria and downtown Seattle. It’s about $120 one way and takes 2 hours and 45 minutes. There is also the Coho ferry that travels from the inner harbour in downtown Victoria to Port Angeles in Washington State (literally right across the straight). Cool mid-century style ferry is immaculate condition and that goes 2 to 4 round trips per day depending on the season. Trip is 90 minutes. This is also a car ferry, so you can do the long drive down to Seattle from there if you want. The other option is to take a seaplane from downtown Victoria to downtown Seattle, that’s a 45 minute trip.

Other reasons why Vancouver Island population isn’t bigger than it is - the west coast is rugged, remote and very wet, it’s called a rainforest for a reason, lol. Check out the Netflix nature series Island of the Sea Wolves and you’ll see the west coast in all it’s beauty. Stupid Hollywood name though.. they’re just friggin wolves you have adapted to living on the coast, lol. The centre spine of the island is mountainous, so uninhabitable.

Picture of the Coho ferry on it’s way to Port Angeles in the background:

2021-1231-09 Victoria Dallas Road by Peter, on Flickr

Couple more looking across from Victoria. A popular summertime activity for the spandex cyclist crowd is take their bikes across and ride to the top and back of Hurricane Ridge (the mountains in the background) and then back to Victoria the same day.

Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic Mtns. by Lindsay Mac, on Flickr

Alone by Per@vicbcca, on Flickr

Victoria Clipper arriving in Victoria from Seattle:

DHE_1124.jpg by Cameron Knowlton, on Flickr

Ah, and one of my own pics, showing the ferry to Seattle, the one to Port Angeles and a plane likely headed to Vancouver:

Victoria Inner Harbour - always buzzing.. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

The interior of Vancouver Island:

On the Comox Glacier: The view westward by M.E. Sanseverino, on Flickr

Golden Hinde - tallest peak on Vancouver Island.

Golden Hinde by Walter Moar, on Flickr

Mount Tom Taylor:

Summit by Walter Moar, on Flickr
Absolutely breathtaking views Zoomer! Thanks for this!

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:42 AM

Thanks FrAnks! And i just posted 79 pics I took in the “Post some pics of your city” thread, lol.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
Thanks FrAnks! And i just posted 79 pics I took in the “Post some pics of your city” thread, lol.
Will see them right away!

Old Posted Today, 6:06 PM
Community Guy

Scott Figler
• 1st
Research Director at JLL
5m

Companies continue to right-size their office footprint, adjusting to a new reality of hybrid work. In 2021 many companies ramped up hiring and took on too much space; now many are having to reverse course as the economy slows. This is leading to a surge in sublease availability across major Canadian markets that has almost doubled from pre-pandemic levels. On the flip side, it is creating great opportunities for companies who are looking to grow, and particularly looking for furnished space so that they don't have to spend money on a build out.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/scott-fi...JskUDG5A%3D%3D

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada