PEI: 5,660 km
Jamaica: 10,830
Belgium: 30,688 sq km
Vancouver Island: 32 100
Netherlands: 33,760
Nova Scotia: 55,284 sq km
New Brunswick: 72,908 sq km
Russia: 16,380,000

So we’re bigger than Monaco but smaller than Russia if that helps folks.

Population grown is steady, but not explosive for the reasons others have mentioned - just too damn expensive and remote/expensive to get on and off of. I mean it’s not that far at all from the mainland of the USA and the rest of Canada but that always means leaving by boat or plane, neither of which is cheap. Even going over to Vancouver by car is not really a worthwhile day trip unless you want to catch the first and last ferry and be exhausted by the end of it all.

When Harbour Air (seaplane) has a sale for their ‘quick tickets’ I try to get my hand on those, otherwise a one way flight is around $250. They only put those on sale two times a year, limited quantity and basically you fly standby for about $75 one way. So worth it though, as I can show up at the downtown harbour in Victoria at 8:35 a.m - the flight takes off at 9 and I’m downtown Vancouver at 9:40. Easy peasy, like a bus trip really, plus spectacular views.

To answer Franks question - the way most people get to Seattle for a football/baseball game, concert or getaway weekend is by the Victoria Clipper. It’s a Seattle based company that has a fleet of high speed catamarans that runs between downtown Victoria and downtown Seattle. It’s about $120 one way and takes 2 hours and 45 minutes. There is also the Coho ferry that travels from the inner harbour in downtown Victoria to Port Angeles in Washington State (literally right across the straight). Cool mid-century style ferry is immaculate condition and that goes 2 to 4 round trips per day depending on the season. Trip is 90 minutes. This is also a car ferry, so you can do the long drive down to Seattle from there if you want. The other option is to take a seaplane from downtown Victoria to downtown Seattle, that’s a 45 minute trip.

Other reasons why Vancouver Island population isn’t bigger than it is - the west coast is rugged, remote and very wet, it’s called a rainforest for a reason, lol. Check out the Netflix nature series Island of the Sea Wolves and you’ll see the west coast in all it’s beauty. Stupid Hollywood name though.. they’re just friggin wolves you have adapted to living on the coast, lol. The centre spine of the island is mountainous, so uninhabitable.

Picture of the Coho ferry on it’s way to Port Angeles in the background:

2021-1231-09 Victoria Dallas Road by Peter, on Flickr

Couple more looking across from Victoria. A popular summertime activity for the spandex cyclist crowd is take their bikes across and ride to the top and back of Hurricane Ridge (the mountains in the background) and then back to Victoria the same day.

Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic Mtns. by Lindsay Mac, on Flickr

Alone by Per@vicbcca, on Flickr

Victoria Clipper arriving in Victoria from Seattle:

DHE_1124.jpg by Cameron Knowlton, on Flickr

Ah, and one of my own pics, showing the ferry to Seattle, the one to Port Angeles and a plane likely headed to Vancouver:

Victoria Inner Harbour - always buzzing.. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

The interior of Vancouver Island:

On the Comox Glacier: The view westward by M.E. Sanseverino, on Flickr

Golden Hinde - tallest peak on Vancouver Island.

Golden Hinde by Walter Moar, on Flickr

Mount Tom Taylor:

Summit by Walter Moar, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 10:57 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Technically Ottawa's central-east/south end is also an island!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Ottawa

And don't forgot the Toronto Islands - population 700 (split probably 60/40 between Algonquin Island and Ward's Island).

The new island being created in the Port Lands will be quite a bit more populated though, once completed:

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 11:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Vancouver Island is an absolute treasure. I've been over there perhaps a dozen times (usually for camping/hiking trips, Pacific Rim National Park Reserve, but also West Coast Trail, Qualicum Beach, Miracle Beach, Stamp Falls, Sproat Lake, Great Central Lake, Mt. Arrowsmith, Mt. Washington, up around Comox and Campbell River, Cameron Lake, other places in the interior, and along the coast).
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 1:42 AM
Suburbs Suck

Question: should we start a separate "your province's island" thread?
Dumb question: does every province have at least one island?
Really dumb question: do the prairie province's have islands??

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 2:16 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Newfoundland has a few populated islands left:

Bell Island
Random Island (connected)
St. Brendans
Twillingate & New World Island (connected)
Change Islands
Fogo Island
Greenspond Island (connected)
Ramea
Long Island (Gaultois)
Pilleys Island (connected)

There may be others I am not thinking of.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 2:27 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Calgary has the country’s largest island population of exotic animals.

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
Other interesting size comparisons:

Monaco: 2 sq km
Bermuda: 50 sq km
PEI: 5,660 km
Jamaica: 10,830
Belgium: 30,688 sq km
Vancouver Island: 32 100
Netherlands: 33,760
Nova Scotia: 55,284 sq km
New Brunswick: 72,908 sq km
Russia: 16,380,000

So we’re bigger than Monaco but smaller than Russia if that helps folks.

Population grown is steady, but not explosive for the reasons others have mentioned - just too damn expensive and remote/expensive to get on and off of. I mean it’s not that far at all from the mainland of the USA and the rest of Canada but that always means leaving by boat or plane, neither of which is cheap. Even going over to Vancouver by car is not really a worthwhile day trip unless you want to catch the first and last ferry and be exhausted by the end of it all.

When Harbour Air (seaplane) has a sale for their ‘quick tickets’ I try to get my hand on those, otherwise a one way flight is around $250. They only put those on sale two times a year, limited quantity and basically you fly standby for about $75 one way. So worth it though, as I can show up at the downtown harbour in Victoria at 8:35 a.m - the flight takes off at 9 and I’m downtown Vancouver at 9:40. Easy peasy, like a bus trip really, plus spectacular views.

To answer Franks question - the way most people get to Seattle for a football/baseball game, concert or getaway weekend is by the Victoria Clipper. It’s a Seattle based company that has a fleet of high speed catamarans that runs between downtown Victoria and downtown Seattle. It’s about $120 one way and takes 2 hours and 45 minutes. There is also the Coho ferry that travels from the inner harbour in downtown Victoria to Port Angeles in Washington State (literally right across the straight). Cool mid-century style ferry is immaculate condition and that goes 2 to 4 round trips per day depending on the season. Trip is 90 minutes. This is also a car ferry, so you can do the long drive down to Seattle from there if you want. The other option is to take a seaplane from downtown Victoria to downtown Seattle, that’s a 45 minute trip.

Other reasons why Vancouver Island population isn’t bigger than it is - the west coast is rugged, remote and very wet, it’s called a rainforest for a reason, lol. Check out the Netflix nature series Island of the Sea Wolves and you’ll see the west coast in all it’s beauty. Stupid Hollywood name though.. they’re just friggin wolves you have adapted to living on the coast, lol. The centre spine of the island is mountainous, so uninhabitable.

Picture of the Coho ferry on it’s way to Port Angeles in the background:

2021-1231-09 Victoria Dallas Road by Peter, on Flickr

Couple more looking across from Victoria. A popular summertime activity for the spandex cyclist crowd is take their bikes across and ride to the top and back of Hurricane Ridge (the mountains in the background) and then back to Victoria the same day.

Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic Mtns. by Lindsay Mac, on Flickr

Alone by Per@vicbcca, on Flickr

Victoria Clipper arriving in Victoria from Seattle:

DHE_1124.jpg by Cameron Knowlton, on Flickr

Ah, and one of my own pics, showing the ferry to Seattle, the one to Port Angeles and a plane likely headed to Vancouver:

Victoria Inner Harbour - always buzzing.. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

The interior of Vancouver Island:

On the Comox Glacier: The view westward by M.E. Sanseverino, on Flickr

Golden Hinde - tallest peak on Vancouver Island.

Golden Hinde by Walter Moar, on Flickr

Mount Tom Taylor:

Summit by Walter Moar, on Flickr
Absolutely breathtaking views Zoomer! Thanks for this!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 3:42 AM

Thanks FrAnks! And i just posted 79 pics I took in the “Post some pics of your city” thread, lol.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
Thanks FrAnks! And i just posted 79 pics I took in the “Post some pics of your city” thread, lol.
Will see them right away!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 6:06 PM
Community Guy

Scott Figler
• 1st
Research Director at JLL
5m

Companies continue to right-size their office footprint, adjusting to a new reality of hybrid work. In 2021 many companies ramped up hiring and took on too much space; now many are having to reverse course as the economy slows. This is leading to a surge in sublease availability across major Canadian markets that has almost doubled from pre-pandemic levels. On the flip side, it is creating great opportunities for companies who are looking to grow, and particularly looking for furnished space so that they don't have to spend money on a build out.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/scott-fi...JskUDG5A%3D%3D

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 4:12 PM

Immigration by metro area, 2022

Toronto: 128,035
Montreal: 52,950
Vancouver: 48,375
Calgary: 24,705
Ottawa: 18,815
Edmonton: 17,325
Winnipeg: 15,690
Halifax: 9,800
Saskatoon: 9,190
Regina: 8,310

Record levels for Montreal, Ottawa, Halifax, Saskatoon, Regina, Quebec City (7,105)

Immigration by country of citizenship, 2022

India: 118,095
China: 31,815
Afghanistan: 23,735
Nigeria: 22,085
Philippines: 22,070
France: 14,145
Pakistan: 11,585
Iran: 11,105
USA: 10,400
Syria: 8,500

Record levels for Afghanistan, Nigeria, France

Sources: Government of Canada, Open Data,
(1) Permanent Residents – Monthly IRCC Updates - Canada - Admissions of Permanent Residents by Province/Territory and Census Metropolitan Area (CMA) of Intended Destination
(2) Permanent Residents – Monthly IRCC Updates - Canada – Admissions of Permanent Residents by Country of Citizenship

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 5:43 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^some interesting shifts happening there. India way, way out in front, and Nigeria coming out of the shadows. Canada will look very different twenty years hence.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 7:31 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^some interesting shifts happening there. India way, way out in front, and Nigeria coming out of the shadows. Canada will look very different twenty years hence.
I'm here for it.

I look forward to future davee threads about
"We must abolish the CBC now!"

On tonight's episode of From Lagos to London... Ontario

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Manitoba's best known island is Hecla Island, in Lake Winnipeg. It's about 25 km long and 6 km wide. There are other islands, but they are way more isolated. I'm not certain, but I think any islands off the coast of Hudson Bay belong to Nunavut, so all Manitoba's islands are inland.

Hecla is a lovely place, it has a nice resort and beautiful golf course. It was settled by Icelandic fishing families before they were kicked out in the 1960s to make way for a provincial park that took up the entire island. Some were allowed to return decades later, but the population is tiny. It's too bad, because some more permanent residents would have given the place some more character. It used to have a ferry service but now there is a fixed link causeway that connects it to the mainland.

Here is the north tip of the island, with the golf course visible:

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 9:54 PM

Thanks for those stats but they don't tell the whole story.

Those numbers are for immigrants and not for people who landed and living in the country ie permanent residence and hence do not include the massive number of people Canada is bringing in from the Ukraine. Canada has given widespread admittance to Ukrainians yet waiving the the documentation required before they leave to expediate the process.

Last edited by ssiguy; Feb 14, 2023 at 6:05 AM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kora View Post
Immigration by metro area, 2022

Toronto: 128,035
Montreal: 52,950
Vancouver: 48,375
Calgary: 24,705
Ottawa: 18,815
Edmonton: 17,325
Winnipeg: 15,690
Halifax: 9,800
Saskatoon: 9,190
Regina: 8,310

Record levels for Montreal, Ottawa, Halifax, Saskatoon, Regina, Quebec City (7,105)

Immigration by country of citizenship, 2022

India: 118,095
China: 31,815
Afghanistan: 23,735
Nigeria: 22,085
Philippines: 22,070
France: 14,145
Pakistan: 11,585
Iran: 11,105
USA: 10,400
Syria: 8,500

Record levels for Afghanistan, Nigeria, France

Sources: Government of Canada, Open Data,
(1) Permanent Residents – Monthly IRCC Updates - Canada - Admissions of Permanent Residents by Province/Territory and Census Metropolitan Area (CMA) of Intended Destination
(2) Permanent Residents – Monthly IRCC Updates - Canada – Admissions of Permanent Residents by Country of Citizenship
China's is down due to covid measures there, now that they are open I expect higher Chinese figures going forward.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 12:22 AM

Actually kinda crazy how much immigration Winnipeg, Saskatoon and Regina get relatively speaking.

St. John's only gets about a fraction of what Regina gets despite there not being a massive difference in size.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 2:07 AM

France with 14k, that's a lot for a rich country. Eventually France will have over 200k expat in Montreal alone. Already 150,000 in 2020, 200,000 by 2030.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 5:35 AM

Quote:
What is the most populated island in each province?

This is off the top of my head and correct me if I'm wrong:

BC - Vancouver Island

AB - Unsure

SK - Unsure

MB - Unsure

ON - Manitoulin Island

QC - Island of Montreal

NB - Grand Manan Island (not 100% sure as one of the ones by Shippigan could have more people)

PE - Island province (but if you don't count that then I think it's either Lennox Island First Nation or Panmure Island)

NS - Cape Breton Island

NL - Island of Newfoundland (next I think is Bell Island although South Twillingate Island has quite a few people)

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
China's is down due to covid measures there, now that they are open I expect higher Chinese figures going forward.
Those numbers are pretty typical for the last decade from China, I wouldn't expect lax Covid measures to change anything. India has been our number one source of immigration since 2018. Prior to that it was the Philipines, which has also slowed down in the last few years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada