HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 3:05 PM
I even painted a door!

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Great pics. Lake Conestee is very interesting; I like that you gave the background about it. I'm sure it looks a lot different in the summertime.

And hehe, whether you wanted to do a parody of or an homage to my LA thread, either way, I feel flattered!

Looking forward to more pics!
When it comes to your thread, it's just plain interesting to see someone going about their day in an alpha world city that has built up such a glamorous cachet since the 1910's. Los Angeles is Los Angeles, no matter how often it pretends to be someplace else on TV or in the movies. It can't help but be itself, and it's in love with itself, and rightly so. No other city can be Los Angeles. Your thread is also inspiring, again because it's just plain interesting to see someone going about their day in a city like Los Angeles. I like seeing all these updates, and what's on the menu at all these interesting little places you visit. It makes me want to get out there and document my daily goings-on as well.

Meanwhile, here I am in a small city, deceptively so because this state makes it next to impossible to annex. But even so, here I am in a booming New South city that has marketed itself with smashing success as a hub for international business. Companies from all over the world, but most notably Germany, France, Korea, and Japan, have operations here, which have attracted other companies from other places to serve them. There are companies here that make electronics, and cars, and tires, and even high-speed train cars, among many other things. General Electric has a major operation here, as does Lockheed Martin, which operates out of an old Air Force base from World War II. There is so much industrial activity that there's an inland port facility where all of these goods are collected and loaded into shipping containers before taking a ride on a dedicated rail line to the actual port down in Charleston.

This is an enormous difference from Asheville, which has forever viewed itself as a gorgeous tourist town that's far too pretty to work. Asheville is content to support itself with money from suitors, whereas Greenville makes its own money. And because Greenville makes its own money, and requires all these people and operations from around the world to keep the money coming, Greenville is leagues ahead of Asheville when it comes to diversity. I know it's nothing to someone who lives anywhere diverse, but I was beside myself when, a while back, I saw a stand set up in a Walmart parking lot to sell Diwali fireworks. I love hearing different languages when I go out in public, and I love all the ethnic markets and the Chinese and the Mexican supermarkets. I love unexpected combinations... such as at the "strip malls from heaven" that I like to visit, one of which contains a coffee shop, Thai restaurant, pho shop, and Vietnamese market among its offerings, and the other of which has an Italian restaurant, deli, Thai restaurant, sushi restaurant, Korean market, Japanese market, and an Indian bakery that makes magnificent chocolate and peanut butter croissants. The diversity is probably what I love most about Greenville -- because it sure as shit isn't the summer climate. That's awful.

Add it up though, and that's what's worth documenting about Greenville as I come and go, even with the occasional stop at Subway.

Now, speaking of what Lake Conestee looks like in the summer... Well, I can't say. I try to avoid movement as much as possible in the summer because summer here is godawful. However, I can tell you that I've visited it in the spring, and it looks different even then. Take a look at these photos from late March of last year:

You'll note there are a couple of photos of the actual Conestee Mill, which ceased operations in the 1970s, plus the dam that everyone's fretting about. The cost of doing something about the dam and pollution in the lake is what's kept anyone from redeveloping the mill. Almost every other mill in town that's still standing has been redeveloped as apartments or shopping, while three others that only have their smokestacks or ruins still standing are in the pipeline for redevelopment. But nobody's taking a chance with Conestee Mill quit yet.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 3:17 PM
I even painted a door!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
I can't think of any public parks I have seen with swing benches before, unless I did not notice them.
Swing benches harken back to porch swings, a very "Southern" sort of thing. It's good marketing. There are several of these in the park around the waterfall downtown as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Loving the pics and the commentary! Does the toxic swamp smell badly, particularly in the summer?
Beats me. I try not to go outside in the summer any more than I have to, and haven't been to Lake Conestee when it's hot. My guess? It probably just smells like mud. Most of the actual gunk is buried under a few decades of sediment.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
When it comes to your thread, it's just plain interesting to see someone going about their day in an alpha world city that has built up such a glamorous cachet since the 1910's. Los Angeles is Los Angeles, no matter how often it pretends to be someplace else on TV or in the movies. It can't help but be itself, and it's in love with itself, and rightly so. No other city can be Los Angeles. Your thread is also inspiring, again because it's just plain interesting to see someone going about their day in a city like Los Angeles. I like seeing all these updates, and what's on the menu at all these interesting little places you visit. It makes me want to get out there and document my daily goings-on as well.

Meanwhile, here I am in a small city, deceptively so because this state makes it next to impossible to annex. But even so, here I am in a booming New South city that has marketed itself with smashing success as a hub for international business. Companies from all over the world, but most notably Germany, France, Korea, and Japan, have operations here, which have attracted other companies from other places to serve them. There are companies here that make electronics, and cars, and tires, and even high-speed train cars, among many other things. General Electric has a major operation here, as does Lockheed Martin, which operates out of an old Air Force base from World War II. There is so much industrial activity that there's an inland port facility where all of these goods are collected and loaded into shipping containers before taking a ride on a dedicated rail line to the actual port down in Charleston.

This is an enormous difference from Asheville, which has forever viewed itself as a gorgeous tourist town that's far too pretty to work. Asheville is content to support itself with money from suitors, whereas Greenville makes its own money. And because Greenville makes its own money, and requires all these people and operations from around the world to keep the money coming, Greenville is leagues ahead of Asheville when it comes to diversity. I know it's nothing to someone who lives anywhere diverse, but I was beside myself when, a while back, I saw a stand set up in a Walmart parking lot to sell Diwali fireworks. I love hearing different languages when I go out in public, and I love all the ethnic markets and the Chinese and the Mexican supermarkets. I love unexpected combinations... such as at the "strip malls from heaven" that I like to visit, one of which contains a coffee shop, Thai restaurant, pho shop, and Vietnamese market among its offerings, and the other of which has an Italian restaurant, deli, Thai restaurant, sushi restaurant, Korean market, Japanese market, and an Indian bakery that makes magnificent chocolate and peanut butter croissants. The diversity is probably what I love most about Greenville -- because it sure as shit isn't the summer climate. That's awful.

Add it up though, and that's what's worth documenting about Greenville as I come and go, even with the occasional stop at Subway.
Greenville sounds like an interesting place, and seems it will only get more interesting as time goes by. I'm glad you're documenting what's taking place, and it'll be even fun to see how things evolve there. I hope you have a lot of fun taking pictures of your city. I'll admit I knew nothing about Greenville, SC before. Your pictures and your talking about the place made me explore it a bit on Google Maps, and I see a lot of potential there for some very interesting and fun shots. It's also more cosmopolitan than I thought it'd be---judging by some of the restaurants I saw on Google Maps, and of course I am a total restaurant addict.

Lake Conestee does look a lot different in spring, apparently. I'm curious to know what will eventually become of the old mill. And that dam, or type of dam I guess, reminds me of places I've seen in movies...

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 12:06 AM

This Disco Concert is so Downtown SP! The plants, the tiles, everything.

My Los Angeles is amazing and it was my inspiration for my São Paulo's one.

Greenville seems to have a nice urban quality. I liked it! Keep updating us. Thank you for sharing!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 4:07 PM
Beer Stampede

Awesome thread!!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 3:13 PM
I even painted a door!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Greenville sounds like an interesting place, and seems it will only get more interesting as time goes by. I'm glad you're documenting what's taking place, and it'll be even fun to see how things evolve there. I hope you have a lot of fun taking pictures of your city. I'll admit I knew nothing about Greenville, SC before. Your pictures and your talking about the place made me explore it a bit on Google Maps, and I see a lot of potential there for some very interesting and fun shots. It's also more cosmopolitan than I thought it'd be---judging by some of the restaurants I saw on Google Maps, and of course I am a total restaurant addict.

Lake Conestee does look a lot different in spring, apparently. I'm curious to know what will eventually become of the old mill. And that dam, or type of dam I guess, reminds me of places I've seen in movies...
Out of curiosity, what restaurants caught your attention?

I'm hoping to head out and take some more photos this weekend. It ought to be nice and cold.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Out of curiosity, what restaurants caught your attention?

I'm hoping to head out and take some more photos this weekend. It ought to be nice and cold.
I saw an Afghani place, a Jamaican place, and several Indian places. The one Indian place that stood out for me has dosa and idlis, which I love. It looks like it's in an Indian market. It's been my experience that those kinds of places are really good places for dosa; they're made to order for you. There's one Indian market near us that has the buffet/cafeteria-style food already laying out, which we don't eat, but they also make the dosas to order, and they're pretty good (we avoid cafeteria-style and buffet food, it's usually not that great). If you decide to go to it, maybe you can order a dosa, and let me know if you like it. It's called Swad.

And I'm such a sucker for Jamaican goat curry. Mmm, mmm!

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Feb 3, 2023 at 10:17 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos