HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 5:21 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivnorth22 View Post
I believe that was one of the major concerns yes. And by these renderings, I don't foresee a grocery store (large scale at least) happening as alley photos don't seem to show any loading docks? The alley actually seems rather large and more pedestrian friendly than car. Looking closer I don't even see where parking entrance would be on any side of the building for the multiple levels of parking.

I prefer this design dramatically over the older renderings and think it fits in with the newer River North architecture (3Eleven, Hubbard Place, Kingsbury Plaza, and all the new condos at Wells/Erie & Huron).
I think the replacement tower for HoJo could put a small grocery store in the Lasalle/Superior space, especially if it's comfortable doing 2-story grocery store (but that can be done and has been in plenty of places). I *think* the loading docks could manage it. And I'd love to have one literally across the alley from me ...
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 5:23 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Jan 30

I hope they start to glaze the steel part of the Flats building soon. It'll start to look like a real building.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 5:33 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
Yeah, somebody should definitely keep an eye on this. What criteria will be used to award the grants? Seems like a recipe for corruption.

I'd love to see it succeed and strengthen the business community in the neighborhoods (especially black neighborhoods) but I'm worried most of this money will just go down a hole, or worse, to religious groups trying to build grander and more impressive palaces.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 5:43 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yeah, somebody should definitely keep an eye on this. What criteria will be used to award the grants? Seems like a recipe for corruption.

I'd love to see it succeed and strengthen the business community in the neighborhoods (especially black neighborhoods) but I'm worried most of this money will just go down a hole, or worse, to religious groups trying to build grander and more impressive palaces.
Ugh, what a tragedy if it goes to churches...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 7:48 PM
Urbane observer

^How could it legally go to churches?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 8:51 PM
Closed account

Neighborhood Opportunity Fund

What Can Be Funded?

For all Neighborhood Opportunity Fund projects, costs that can be funded by grants must generally be related to new construction or the rehabilitation of existing buildings. This includes:
  • Land acquisition and assembly
  • Building acquisition, demolition and environmental remediation
  • Security measures
  • Roofing, façade repair and mechanical system repairs
  • Architectural and engineering fees
  • Financing fees (related to securing a loan or other capital)
  • Minor site improvements, such as fencing or planters, when a part of an eligible project
  • Other soft costs associated with eligible hard costs

What Cannot Be Funded?

Projects that receive Neighborhood Opportunity Fund grants must have a catalytic impact on the neighborhood and lead to the development of new commercial spaces or cultural establishments. As a result, the following costs are not eligible for Neighborhood Opportunity Fund grants:
  • Residential dwelling units or the residential portion of a mixed-use building
  • Minor repairs and improvements, such as painting
  • Repairs or improvements that are required to bring a building into compliance with the City of Chicago’s Building Code
  • Support programs or services
  • Operating expenses
  • Travel expenses or any lodging/hotel expenses

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 6:22 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^How could it legally go to churches?
How could it not go to churches, in some way? These neighborhoods don't have a lot in the way of secular neighborhood groups or community development corporations. Half of the Advisory Council for the Fund are from religious organizations.

I guess the first batch of awardees is okay. Who knew Chicago had so many soul food joints? Still, there's very little in the way of grocery stores or essential businesses, just a lot of restaurants and art venues.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:18 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
How could it not go to churches, in some way? These neighborhoods don't have a lot in the way of secular neighborhood groups or community development corporations. Half of the Advisory Council for the Fund are from religious organizations.

I guess the first batch of awardees is okay. Who knew Chicago had so many soul food joints? Still, there's very little in the way of grocery stores or essential businesses, just a lot of restaurants and art venues.
Therein lies the problem. “Essential services” generally entail chains—grocers, pharmacies, etc. And I’m pretty sure the city doesn’t want to start handing money out to those guys. It’s about supporting small businesses. But I agree that giving it all out to little restaurants seems to be a waste.

I would propose altering the policy such that no more than 30% of such funds go towards restaurants.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:36 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230Roberto View Post

This ‘proposal’ was 100% never real from the beginning. The ‘tell’ was the players involved....

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:48 PM

I think the Neighborhood Opportunity Fund should be used to subsidize many new wig shops along 71st in Leslie Hairston's ward. I hear her community is lacking those...

Also, how was the irony lost on everyone that a woman named HAIRston was out to shut down all the wig shops? I feel like that was just begging for some kind of satire.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 3:17 PM
Urbane observer

The Illinois Constitution (and the First Amendment to the US Constitution) forbids any government money going to religious organizations. That's what made Blagojevich's day-of-fire promise to rebuild Pilgrim Baptist laughable. Now if the church has set up a separate not-for-profit development corporation to develop badly needed new strip malls to serve the people of Hamilton Park, well that's different. But supposedly someone will be looking to make sure no money crosses over to the church itself.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 3:36 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
The Illinois Constitution (and the First Amendment to the US Constitution) forbids any government money going to religious organizations. That's what made Blagojevich's day-of-fire promise to rebuild Pilgrim Baptist laughable. Now if the church has set up a separate not-for-profit development corporation to develop badly needed new strip malls to serve the people of Hamilton Park, well that's different. But supposedly someone will be looking to make sure no money crosses over to the church itself.
Bingo.

Most of these organizations have their heart in the right place, I'm just worried about a few bad apples. Especially in Chicago, that's always a risk when government decides to hand out a big pot of money to private actors...

Also more than a little concerned about letting some of these organizations impose their version of urban planning on the community... street closures, community gardens or parking lots right next to L stops, the outright demolition of the 63rd St L... the track record is not great.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 3:43 PM

Quote:
I would imagine that is the standard setup. It is not uncommon for governments in the US to fund human services via faith-based charities.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
This ‘proposal’ was 100% never real from the beginning. The ‘tell’ was the players involved....
It was not a proposal you're right. It was said to be a plan. What I meant to say was, is this still a plan.

Last edited by 230Roberto; Feb 6, 2018 at 9:50 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230Roberto View Post
It was not a proposal you're right. It was said to be a plan. What I meant to say was, is this still a plan.
I plan to build a 2,000 foot tower in Chicago once I become a multi-billionaire.

Should I start a thread?

This plan and my plan have about equal chances of actually happening.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
I plan to build a 2,000 foot tower in Chicago once I become a multi-billionaire.

Should I start a thread?

This plan and my plan have about equal chances of actually happening.
True.. We leave it at this... There were "talks"

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 12:27 AM

Looks like the updated the Vista EarthCam https://www.vistatowerchicago.com/webcam/

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldru View Post
Looks like the updated the Vista EarthCam https://www.vistatowerchicago.com/webcam/
That was pointed out earlier today on the Vista Tower thread.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...61#post8075660

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 3:33 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockerzzz View Post
It's kind of like you are intentionally being thick skulled here. The money is for historical preservation purposes. The "donation" isn't a religious donation. It's a donation going towards preservation that happens to be a religious building. Two very different things, especially legally speaking

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 4:10 AM
Urbane observer

I didn't realize the city had put adopt-a-landmark into the Neighborhood Opportunity Bonus program. The program used to employ the fiction that it wasn't "city money." The developer of some other building would give money to the church to restore a landmark building. In return for "adopting" a landmark, the developer got a zoning bonus.

I have to wonder whether this would pass a court challenge, should someone mount one. After all, the building is primarily used for religious services. In fact, in this case, city money will go to restore religious murals. There's a whole line of Supreme Court cases about what limited categories of government aid to parochial schools are allowable. Perhaps the city would argue that the proper part of the First Amendment to measure against is not the Establishment Clause, but the Free Exercise Clause. The argument would be that if it's allowable to give city money to restore a landmark Elks Lodge, it would be unconstitutional to not give money to a similarly designated building just because it's a church.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations