HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 10:33 PM

A little off topic but if you really love aviation and since it's so close you should try to get up the EAA AirVenture event up at Oshkosh Wisconsin. I just came back and am always amazed at how good an airshow it is. So many people come in from Europe and South America via Chicago for this Airshow. I even ran into a group of 140 people who came all the way from South Africa on SAA to Amsterdam and then on to Chicago on KLM. They are all also staying in Chicago and as usual they all say they absolutely love downtown Chicago and hate O'Hare's international terminal. They are always happy to hear O'Hare is getting a new 8 billion dollar terminal.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Pretty scathing long article about the history and never ever development of O'Hare,
I tried to read it, but the combination of white type on a black background and a series of misleading statements in the opening paragraphs caused me to give up.

It even twists words to make it sound like the people moved never opened.

And, no, Terminal 4 wasn't used for just a few years and then scrapped. It was intended from the beginning to be temporary!

Next.

Last edited by Jim in Chicago; Jul 30, 2019 at 7:25 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 1:57 PM

American is adding three new international routes next summer -

Chicago - Krakow (5x weekly)
Chicago - Budapest (5x weekly)
Chicago - Prague (4x weekly)

Krakow and Budapest are not new routes for Chicago (LOT serves both), but Prague will be. AA now serves more destinations from Chicago to Europe than UA, however all but London are during the summer only, whereas UA flies the majority of theirs year-round.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 4:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ even though they're just seasonal routes, it's good to see AA expanding international service at ORD once again.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 6:40 PM

AA keeps throwing summer routes out there to see what sticks. UA has a more long-term strategy with ORD. On the flip side AA does use brand new 787 8's and 9's. UA uses antique 777-200's and 767-300's on international routes and leaves all the brand new aircraft to the coastal routes.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 2:10 PM
devout Pizzatarian

WHY?

WON'T?

IT?

DIE?

Quote:
Does the Chicago area need another airport? Plans for a Peotone airport are back, this time with an e-commerce spin.

By MARY WISNIEWSKI
CHICAGO TRIBUNE |
AUG 12, 2019 | 6:33 AM

Plans for a south suburban airport are back on the political front burner, this time with talk about how it could be used by e-commerce giants like Amazon.

The idea of an airport in Peotone, located in the rural exurbs 44 miles south of Chicago, has been debated for decades. The proposal was revived in this year’s Illinois budget, with $162 million allocated toward road improvements that would connect I-57 to the proposed airport site, along with an environmental review and the completion of a master plan.

The airport proposal has a shot this time, both because e-commerce companies could use it for transporting goods to and from massive distribution centers south of the city, and because the state is putting money into it, said DePaul University transportation expert Joseph Schwieterman.

“The stars have aligned both politically and economically, with interested politicians and prospective customers for the cargo business,” Schwieterman said. “Years of acquiring land has set the stage for a fairly fast timetable."
source: https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...z6u-story.html

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 4:37 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Given that Will County is the nation's largest inland port, I think it might be a good idea to have an airport down that way

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 5:11 PM

seems stupid to me, Rockford already handles a lot of ecommerce, just keep using that and maybe help out Gary.....our state does not have the money for this.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
The answer to that question remains the same "no, it does NOT need another airport". Haven't the airlines repeatedly said that they wouldn't fly there? I guess they need to compete with MidAmerica airport - remember that?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 5:17 PM

United 787 Dreamliner regular service finally for ORD in 2020. It took long enough as all the other UAL major international hubs have had them for several years now.
They only send the 787's or 777-300's into Chicago now when they get a new aircraft type to show off to the corporate leadership

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...o-service.html

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 9:50 PM

Back in 2012 United was flying the 787 between various cities for non regular scheduled test flights and I booked a flight between ORD and IAH. . . I was bumped up to first class as well which was pretty cool. . . it was the only time I've flown a 787 and have flown over 130 flights since then out of Chicago. . .

. . .

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Back in 2012 United was flying the 787 between various cities for non regular scheduled test flights and I booked a flight between ORD and IAH. . . I was bumped up to first class as well which was pretty cool. . . it was the only time I've flown a 787 and have flown over 130 flights since then out of Chicago. . .

. . .
Did United announce which version of the 787 will be flown to Frankfurt, Munich and Brussels? With LH hubs, I wouldn't think they'd want to reduce capacity to the German cities. Does that translate to United deploying the 787-10 to Frankfurt and Munich? Depending on the season, Brussels had switched between the 763 and the 772. I love seeing larger aircraft at ORD, but it seems like a route for less than demand that the other two even if a smaller Star Hub.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 6:56 PM

Last S-80 out of Ohare today for American

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:41 PM
devout Pizzatarian

I know delta still has a bunch of MD-80/90s in its fleet, but does anyone know if they fly any of them to ORD?

if not, that might be the last mainline T-tail to ever operate at ORD.

but man, what a run the MD-80 had at ORD with AA for the last 4 decades.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 9:01 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

That really is an end to an era. A bit like the MD-10 commercial service went the way of the Do-do.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I know delta still has a bunch of MD-80/90s in its fleet, but does anyone know if they fly any of them to ORD?

if not, that might be the last mainline T-tail to ever operate at ORD.

but man, what a run the MD-80 had at ORD with AA for the last 4 decades.
Delta's 717s should still be around for awhile. I'm sure they're frequent visitors at ORD.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 4:26 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ oh yeah, I forgot about those. Delta has a fair number of 717's and they almost certainly still operate them out of ORD, and will likely do so for many years to come.

Thanks for the correction.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 12:56 PM

Anyone have any updates on construction?

They were working on tearing up part of the tarmac near T-5, but I don't see any actual work being done on T-5 itself.

Also, saw an article that they were going to get a jump on digging the tunnel for the new satellite terminals.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takascar View Post
Anyone have any updates on construction?

They were working on tearing up part of the tarmac near T-5, but I don't see any actual work being done on T-5 itself.

Also, saw an article that they were going to get a jump on digging the tunnel for the new satellite terminals.
I don't know the answer, but it seems like the T-5 expansion has been in the works for years now and seems to have slowed once the ORD 21 program was put on the table. I might be wrong, but that's my perception. There were articles written in March this year that stated ground was broken on the T5 expansion for what's it worth.

What will happen to gates M19-21 during the expansion? Will temporary jet bridges be used so the concourse doesn't lose three key gates during construction.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 3:08 PM

Getting caught up on this thread. I had no idea Peotone was still a thing. The article mentioned potential e-commerce as a reason for renewed interest. Uhh, sorry, the e-commerce industry has already spoken and they’ve invested heavily in RFD.

https://www.dhbusinessledger.com/bus...argo-shipments
Chicago Bears, Super Bowl Champs 1985.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation