HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 5:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Indeed it was; as an office building.

The dark wood trim is how it should look. The red funeral parlor drapes...omg.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 6:53 AM

Hotel Frontenac?

Here's another Leonard Nadel photo from 1951, hope it hasn't been posted here before. I really like it for some reason.

calisphere.org

The caption doesn't help much to locate it: "Matching Victorian houses used as slum dwellings on Bunker Hill."

I was wondering if the Bunker Hill experts here know if that could be the back-side of the Hotel Frontenac up the hill? If so, those houses might be #217 and 215/3 South Olive. The LADBS doesn't have a demo date I could find.

Beaudry among others has shown the front of the Frontenac here.

historicmapworks.com

lapl.org

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
I was wondering if the Bunker Hill experts here know if that could be the back-side of the Hotel Frontenac up the hill? If so, those houses might be #217 and 215/3 South Olive. The LADBS doesn't have a demo date I could find.
Beaudry answered your question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Interestingly, there was another set of "twins" just down on the next block at 215-217 S Olive:

getty-nadel/cra/olive

Which also have a large Grand Ave apartment backside towering over them, in this case, the Frontenac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
The dark wood trim is how it should look. The red funeral parlor drapes...omg.

I dunno, but I like wood to look mellow and waxed, not like it just got a coat of high-gloss varnish. Everything else is wrong, too many throw cushions, the rug, those dogs and the metal occasional tables (there's two more of those in the sitting room) in front of the banquettes, the lighting. Like I said, I like what was done with Artemesia. The poor Higgins Verbeck can't catch a break. It's awful coming and going:

pricey pads

Last edited by tovangar2; Sep 27, 2017 at 7:20 AM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 7:20 AM

Hazard's Pavilion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

I found this rarity on ebay the other day. The construction of the Los Angeles Santa Fe Depot.....also known as La Grande Station.

ebay
Have we seen this photo of the Le Grande Station under constructon since e_r posted it way back on page 166?

Here's another early L. A. landmark under construction . . . Hazard's Pavilion, on the NE corner of 5th and Olive, c. March 1887:

486837 at Huntington Digital Library

The Seaver Center has the same photo, GPF.4865, here.

This June 4, 1905, Los Angeles Times article on the demolition of Hazard's Pavilion included this photo, which appears to
show the building in about the same stage of construction as in the photo above:

ProQuest via LAPL

Here are two random photos of the exterior of Hazard's Pavilion:

SCWHR-P-002.2-2273R at Seaver Center

I believe this one is c. 1895-1902:

00015331 at LAPL

I don't believe we've seen this photo of the inside of Hazard's Pavilion when it was host to the 1891 State Citrus Fair.
The signs on the dispays in the foreground say HANDS OFF:

Islandora/UCLA (zoomable when the link is available, generally during business hours in California)

Here's an enlargement of the far end of the stage, with the new L. A. County Courthouse re-created in citrus:

Another view of the 1891 Citrus Fair:

00032025 at LAPL

I think this photo of the inside of Hazard's Pavilion taken on May 4, 1903, has been posted here before:

00015336 at LAPL

Hazard's Pavilion was torn down in 1905 and replaced by the Temple/Philharmonic/Clune's Auditorium. From that
same Sunday, June 4, 1905, Times article is this information on the demolition of Hazard's Pavilion:

ProQuest via LAPL

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Beaudry answered your question:
No surprise he had the answer What set me on the trail was the illegible, barely-visible lettering on the top of the building up the hill from the Victorian twins. This is similar in position and font to the lettering on the Frontenac seen in other views.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 4:26 PM

I happened upon this image that appeared in the Herald on October 11, 1908...the quarter-block spread of Harry Weiss, once at the swc of 27th & Budlong.
(I haven't done much digging into Mr. Weiss...he seems to have been a polo player and to have died in San Diego in May 1927.) Anyway, it was an unusually large
property among much smaller lots...among its intriguing qualities is a relocation permit issued in January 1928:

The permit actually appears to be for only one small building at the address...the main house may have been demolished the previous fall.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 4:30 PM

The construction photo of Hazard's Pavilion is gorgeous Flyingwedge. What a treat to see it.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

I happened upon this image that appeared in the Herald on October 11, 1908...the quarter-block spread of Harry Weiss, once at the swc of 27th & Budlong.
(I haven't done much digging into Mr. Weiss...he seems to have been a polo player and to have died in San Diego in May 1927.) Anyway, it was an unusually large
property among much smaller lots...among its intriguing qualities is a relocation permit issued in January 1928:

The permit actually appears to be for only one small building at the address...the main house may have been demolished the previous fall.
Harry Weiss appears in Los Angeles in the 1900 census. He was born in Pennsylvania in 1868 His father, Francis Weiss, was a coal merchant.He is listed as being a "capitalist" in 1900. This is the first census where he is shown in California. That census shows Mr Weiss, his wife Carrie, four children and two servants residing with him. The census gives his address in 1900 as 325 23rd Street.

In 1910 he is found in the census at 2711 Budlong. By then, there are five children and four servants in the household. He had a gardner, a cook, a waiter, and a stableman listed as servants and also living there was a stepson, whose name was Robert Knauss.

By 1920 the family is in San Diego and Harry is listed as being a farmer. Three of his children still reside with Harry and his wife as is his mother in law.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 3:26 AM

CBD, I appreciate the follow-up on the Robert Morton Organ Co.

In this article I notice an earlier company (Harris) that was located on Sichel St.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug

detail
I tried to locate a photo of it without success

but I happened upon two pics of a water main break in 1952.

usc digital archive

You're looking at the northeast corner of Sichel St. and N. Main St.

The building is still there.

gsv

On the northwest corner you see a crowd gathered at the Mobilgas station.

usc digital archive

That floating crate makes an appearance in the first photo as well (I think the photographer might have moved it for effect. )

Here's the same view today.

gsv

the victorian home down the street has survived.

a closer look.

And there's a smaller home next door that appears to be even older.

It somewhat reminds me of a workers cottage.

In this aerial you can see clearly see the wrap-around addition that was added to the original cottage.

google_earth

it's also interesting that the house is situated so far back on the property.
_

sidenote:

Surprisingly, Sichel Street has only been mentioned once on the thread.

when WS1911 deciphered the street name on this postcard I found on ebay.

skyscraperpage

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 28, 2017 at 4:00 AM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 4:07 AM

Surreal and Sad.

I feel so bad for this lady. There's no way she should be a sideshow attraction. aaargh!
__

sidenote:
Have we visited the 'World Museum' on NLA? It doesn't ring a bell.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 5:26 AM

312-316 S. Grand Avenue, 1902-1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post

And this young lass is roller skating in front of 314-16 S Grand:

pc

Since 1893 there had been a Colonial Flats on the SW corner of 8th and Broadway, so I think the article below
is just referring to the building's style. I couldn't find that 312-16 S. Grand ever had a name:

Los Angeles Times, October 5, 1902 @ ProQuest via LAPL

There is a June 14, 1905, building permit for $2,000 of work to repair fire damage at 312-16 S. Grand. I do not know
if the photo below was taken before or after the fire (at left, uncomfortably close to 312-16 S. Grand is 308-10):

SCWHR-P-005-N0346 at Seaver Center

The demo permit for 312-16 S. Grand is dated April 13, 1961, so the photo below was taken sometime after that
because otherwise we'd see 312-16 S. Grand in the lower right corner where the empty lot is:

William Reagh at CA State Library

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 2:27 PM

the victorian home down the street has survived.

a closer look.

In this aerial you can see clearly see the wrap-around addition that was added to the original cottage.

google_earth

it's also interesting that the house is situated so far back on the property.
_

In the aerial, on the larger Victorian, a mix of Queen Anne and Italianate, note the "scuttle hole". The square hatch toward the rear of the roof. Instead of allowing access to the attic, this one lets you go on to the flat roof area behind the angled roof area.

There is also one on the original part of the cottage. Both structures probably had roof railings when they were new. Too bad those are gone.

The cottage property may have had another structure in front of the house. Or, is it possible that the smaller cottage was part of the same property where the Victorian later stood, at some point. Currently, both properties have build dates of 1890 for the structures and it appears that the cottage was added to in 1939, according to the County Assessor.

Both stand in the HOMESTEAD TRACT OF THE PIONEER BUILDING
LOT ASSN. The Victorian is on LOT 3 BLK 13

Last edited by oldstuff; Sep 28, 2017 at 3:08 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 3:57 PM

The cottage did have a house in front of it...demolished as recently as 1990... the two-story Victorian next door seems to have remained single-family dwellings at least as late as 1997. So did the cottage--that year, an addition was made to it to accommodate a second unit. Interestingly, an rather excellent attempt was made to give the westward addition a Victorian look:

Permit plot plan from a BP dated 7-31-1997

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Sep 28, 2017 at 4:17 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 9:49 PM
BANNED

This always happens in LA.......

http://www.welikela.com/wp-content/u...ning-still.jpg

Especially if you live here>>>....

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...m.jpg~original

City of .......

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Sep 29, 2017 at 4:24 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
The demo permit for 312-16 S. Grand is dated April 13, 1961, so the photo below was taken sometime after that
because otherwise we'd see 312-16 S. Grand in the lower right corner where the empty lot is:

William Reagh at CA State Library

A good reminder of two videos always worth looking at again

from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-I2kLNwBak:

from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNyRSrw7WS4:

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
The cottage property may have had another structure in front of the house. Both properties have build dates of 1890 for the structures and it appears that the cottage was added to in 1939, according to the County Assessor.

Both stand in the HOMESTEAD TRACT OF THE PIONEER BUILDING
LOT ASSN. The Victorian is on LOT 3 BLK 13
Quote:
The cottage did have a house in front of it...demolished as recently as 1990... the two-story Victorian next door seems to have remained single-family dwellings at least as late as 1997. So did the cottage--that year, an addition was made to it to accommodate a second unit. Interestingly, an rather excellent attempt was made to give the westward addition a Victorian look:
Good sleuthing oldstuff and GW!

& thanks for pointing out the recently discussed scuttle holes ostuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff
"Instead of allowing access to the attic, this one lets you go on to the flat roof area behind the angled roof area."
So you're saying there wasn't a way to reach the attic from inside the house?) -i find that hard to believe.

And I definitely appreciate the plot maps GaylordWilshire. (I always do )

While snooping around Sichel yesterday, I also came across the photograph you see below.

"Intersection of East Avenue 26 and Sichel Street, Los Angeles, CA, 1931" (southwest corner)

usc digital archive

I was curious about the residence shrouded in trees on the corner. So I drove past the corner today in the google-mobile.

and today.

gsv

An apartment building now occupies the corner. (not nearly as interesting as the incorrect corner I just deleted)
__

In this second photograph, we get a glimpse of the northeast and southeast corners of Sichel and Ave. 26.

before / after

Here's the one corner we haven't seen. (the northwest cor.)

A rather large old house occupies that corner.

gsv

I'd say it was built around the same time as victorian and the cottage that we just discussed. (on N. Main near Sichel)

I suspect it might have been enlarged when it became an apartment rental.
__

update:

After looking at it again I think the house was always quite large.
The only addition I see is the 1 story 'room' in the back (& obviously the room above that's under construction)

gsv

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 29, 2017 at 2:39 AM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 3:01 AM

And while we're still in the area.

I don't recall if we have seen this interesting house on NLA.

It's located on the southeast corner of Manitou Ave. and Sichel St.

gsv

I found this brief description on zillow. "The historic Lemberger-Sigler Residence is a classic two-story Queen Anne-style Victorian built in 1897."

side view from Sichel.

gsv

The house must have sold because it has a dandy new paint job.

gsv

Wouldn't it be great if the new owners put a conical peak back on the turret. (I'm guessing there was a conical peak when it was first built)

_

2800 Manitou Ave,
Los Angeles, CA 90031

in-depth description from zillow.

Walk through the white picket fence into the English garden styled front yard and enter a bygone era. The home is replete with all the precious details of the period, starting with an elegant foyer and wrap around wood carved staircase. Significant historical features include patterned shingling, oriel windows and second story windows with projecting bays. There are original hardwood floors and 12-foot high ceilings throughout, as well as a new forced air heating system. The kitchen has copper fixtures, custom cabinetry with leaded glass, and tile countertops. Adjacent to the kitchen is a laundry room. A formal dining room has wainscoting, chandelier and built-in cabinetry. The formal living room features beautiful picture molding along the walls and is anchored by a grand fireplace with renewed mantel. A guest bedroom is just off the living room. Upstairs are four more bedrooms including a master bedroom with a fireplace and sitting room with stained glass windows. The downstairs bathroom has an extra long, clawfoot tub. The second bathroom upstairs has double sinks. There is a detached garage and a backyard with relaxing fountain and shaded deck. The full basement is currently used as a woodshop and storage area.

Does anyone know who Lemberger and Sigler were?
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 29, 2017 at 3:14 AM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 7:46 AM

Spadena House video

ABC7 did a walkthrough of the Spadena house this week with the owner. I'm guessing the "resurrected" in the story title may mean he's opening the home for Halloween. I don't see any recent changes to the home judging by the photographs at the bottom of this post.

http://abc7.com/society/the-witch-ho...hills/2461710/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Witch's House aka Spadena House

E_R did a series of three posts about this house in 2012, including a history of it. (The house was originally
located in Culver City, built for the Willat Movie Studio.)

The newly posted (on NLA) photo above shows Ward Lascelle, a producer who worked with Willat, standing outside
of the Witch's House shortly after it was moved to Beverly Hills. He bought the structure because it was going to be
demolished.

E_R's posts:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=6737
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=6738
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=6739

Gaylord Wilshire added some different GSV views of the property and a historic photo:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=6742
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=20562

And 3940dxer drove by and took a few personal photos:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=8147

I also seem to recall a post by someone who had constructed a model of it.
_____
UPDATE: I found the post of the "model" that whizbang built of this house. The first link has a color vintage postcard of the house and the second link is a photo of his model.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=20926
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=20925
_____

None of these posts has any INTERIORS of the house. I just found an article from last November in the
Los Angeles Magazine: Exclusive: Sneak a Peak inside the Witch's House of Beverly Hills

The current owner, Michael J. Libow, is interviewed. Some historic photos and information are presented; for example:
The reason many refer to it as the "Spadena House" is that Ward Lascelle’s wife, Lillian, "divorced" Ward, kept the
house, and then married the house boy/guest/man servant, whose last name was Spadena. Lillian took over the house’s
legacy.

Here's a photo of the house under construction at the Willat Studios in Culver City:

An interior image from 1933:

Here are a few current interior shots from the article:

And outside:

This is last Halloween night, Friday, October 31, 2014. (The article includes a short video
of that night, around 35 seconds, where 4,000 trick-or-treaters were expected.

Many more photos are in the article: HERE!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
And while we're still in the area.

I don't recall if we have seen this interesting house on NLA.

It's located on the southeast corner of Manitou Ave. and Sichel St.

gsv

This house is older than 1897...Henry C Sigler was listed there in the 1894 CD...and it looks older than that to me. (The LAPL's CD site has been acting up lately, with many "Internal Server Errors" or "site is unavailable" notices, so maybe it can be checked later.)

Manitou St was Hawkins St until the late '90s... the original address was 1000 Hawkins St. H C Sigler was at "1000 Manitou" by 1900; haven't tracked down when the renumbering happened.

Given its quirky architecture and corner location, I was hoping there might be an image of it in the Times or the Herald that would reveal a witch's hat, but no dice.

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Sep 29, 2017 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 5:01 PM

Quote:
This house is older than 1897...Henry C Sichel was listed there in the 1894 CD...and it looks older than that to me, which is where Lemberger comes in. (The LAPL's CD site has been acting up lately, with many "Internal Server Errors" or "site is unavailable" notices, so maybe it can be checked later.)

Manitou St was Hawkins St until the late '90s... the original address was 1000 Hawkins St. H C Sichel was at "1000 Manitou" by 1900; haven't tracked down when the renumbering happened.

Given its quirky architecture and corner location, I was hoping there might be an image of it in the Times or the Herald that would reveal a witch's hat, but no dice.
I was hoping that I had listings for Lemberger and/or Sichel in my 1870-and-before L.A. data; but, no dice.

But about address changes: The ordinance to change the city's street-numbering was approved by the City Council on December 20, 1890, and signed by the mayor the following day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos