HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

1000M in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 7:11 PM

If this actually gets built this cycle it will officially make this the greatest skyscraper building boom in Chicago history...

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
If this actually gets built this cycle it will officially make this the greatest skyscraper building boom in Chicago history...
I'm starting to believe

I've said this before but remember when all the proposals where still on paper and we thought maybe one or two would get built?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 8:33 PM

I honestly really do not like this building. Would MUCH rather get Tribune and 725 randolph get going. Those 2 along with 1 Chicago already going make me very happy. I remember thinking we were lucky to get 1 S halsted going..and THAT was forever ago.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 8:38 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
with 7 buildings over 700' already built or U/C, we're already there by that measure. and BMO and Salesforce will in all likelihood boost that number to 9 soon. if 1000M really does happen this cycle, then that would make it an even 10.

the previous record for the number of 700+ footers built in a single chicago building cycle is 6 (1986-1990 & 2009-2010).

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 11:06 PM

The views from this one are the main selling point. There will be so many units with broad views of the lake and or downtown. Not that easy a site to find where an 800 foot tower can beat this. The upper northwest corner and west apartment views will have a lot of old streets and classic architecture. I would definitely consider living there if I were in the market.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 12:14 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Only one comment is needed with this news:

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 1:11 AM

When I moved to the South Loop in 2002, there was already talk about developing 1000 S Michigan. I even joined the mailing list for any further development news, but nothing had happened. So glad to know it is becoming real.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 2:54 PM

premature banaculation!!!!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 6:42 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl224990 View Post
When I moved to the South Loop in 2002, there was already talk about developing 1000 S Michigan. I even joined the mailing list for any further development news, but nothing had happened. So glad to know it is becoming real.
I assume you're talking about the prior, blocky tower designed by DeStefano?

Which is why I'm glad to hear this news. While I loved the earlier Jahn design, this is likely the best tower this location will produce. Another cycle and we will probably end up with another box from SCB here.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 4:52 AM

This would be the 6th 800 + ft tower in this cycle. It would also be the 16th tallest building in Chicago and bump the total number of 800 ft skyscrapers to 19 (incl. under construction.)

Last edited by kolchak; Oct 20, 2019 at 5:03 AM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
This would be the 6th 800 + ft tower in this cycle. It would also be the 16th tallest building in Chicago and bump the total number of 800 ft skyscrapers to 19 (incl. under construction.)

Let’s hope this one get off the ground. Water view tower was suppose to be promised but what happen with that ? Chicago spire suppose to be the tallest in North America but it’s a hole in the ground. Once the money is secure and the halfway finish then I celebrate.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganChi View Post
Let’s hope this one get off the ground. Water view tower was suppose to be promised but what happen with that ? Chicago spire suppose to be the tallest in North America but it’s a hole in the ground. Once the money is secure and the halfway finish then I celebrate.
Whether or not this one gets off the ground remains to be seen, but I don't see any similarities with 1000M vs. Waterview or Spire. . . the latter's suffering from inexperienced developers and bad timing while 1000M is a luxury product in a not-so-luxury neighborhood. . . if this building was in LSE or anywhere north of where it is today it would have already been under construction. . .

. . .

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:18 PM

Oct 24th still a go?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 2:24 PM

They may have been telling the truth on the ground breaking date. The lot was blocked off this morning and some equipment was getting dropped off.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:39 PM
Cleared for takeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHi View Post
They may have been telling the truth on the ground breaking date. The lot was blocked off this morning and some equipment was getting dropped off.
Were you able to take any pics? Or does anyone have pics?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
while 1000M is a luxury product in a not-so-luxury neighborhood. . . if this building was in LSE or anywhere north of where it is today it would have already been under construction. . .

. . .
This.

I know we all love beautiful highrises, and additions to the skyline. But why would anyone buy a unit in this building at.... what was it.... $700-800 a square foot, when there are so many options in more desirable locations in the city. There are many new units coming online (as well as units in pre-existing buildings) for sale that also have great views in better areas. I'm rooting for this building, but I have my doubts....

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 6:10 PM

At the site today. Very preliminary, but very exciting. Looks like they're portioning off the site and taking measurements. I'm stoked that this one is happening. Really thought it was a long shot. Let's hope it doesn't see the same fate as Waterview.

IMG_1126 by Andrew W, on Flickr

IMG_1125 by Andrew W, on Flickr

IMG_1124 by Andrew W, on Flickr

IMG_1123 by Andrew W, on Flickr

IMG_1127 by Andrew W, on Flickr

IMG_1122 by Andrew W, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
This.

I know we all love beautiful highrises, and additions to the skyline. But why would anyone buy a unit in this building at.... what was it.... $700-800 a square foot
But they did. Apparently enough sales to meet the threashold to begin construction...

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 7:08 PM

Quote:
But they did. Apparently enough sales to meet the threashold to begin construction...
Right. . . but it took longer than many on this forum felt was normal. . . I suppose that it had everything to do with location. . .

. . .

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Well... I mean.... did we ever hear that financing was secured. I don't remember seeing that. Maybe I just missed it.

We all know that the supposed upcoming groundbreaking is basically just for show. It doesn't "actually " break ground until they're drilling caissons. When that happens, I'll be more optimistic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction