HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 12:44 AM
Ex Houstonian

Arkansas: Redneck Wasteland

Ive been living in Arkansas for two years now and its absolutely terrible, terrible, terrible. I really tried to like, really did, but I just cant. These pictures were taken just in the countryside around Russellville, AR within a 3 hour period. These pictures are not exaggerations, it is really like this in a lot of the areas around here. I cant wait to leave, seriously. If you are ever considering moving here, please spare yourself the anguish, speaking of the Russellville area only, not for the whole state. Now of course there are normal people here too but theres about half redneck and then half people who want to gtfo.

Last edited by photoLith; Mar 12, 2010 at 5:36 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 12:55 AM

LOL, now that's redneck!

I love how pretty much every image has a pickup in it, and I thought Alberta was bad! Wow! This makes Alberta look like a cultural mecca (not saying Alberta doesn't have culture, but it's not to the likes of NYC or Rome or Tokyo).

A nice representation.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 12:58 AM
International

For better or worse, often times I tend to forget that they're in the same "country" as us Californians..

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
For better or worse, often times I tend to forget that they're in the same "country" as us Californians..
Californians are weirder...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 1:00 AM
Ex Houstonian

^^^
Yeah Russellville is pretty much a cultural wasteland devoid of any sense of civilization.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 1:02 AM
Eurosceptic

why do you live there?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 1:11 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

One of the more honest tours I've seen on here.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 1:15 AM

Dude, that sucks. Well Git er done and get out. hahaha.

Photos were really interesting to say the least.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 1:17 AM

Just pulled it up on google maps

Dude, that sucks.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 1:53 AM

ummmm. damn! that makes my rural michigan roots look downright urbane and cultured.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 1:10 AM
Ex Houstonian

Unfortunately I go to school here because I was ignorant that Arkansas would be this absolutely terrible. Being a college town I would have thought that it would have been decent but I was wrong, way wrong. And now Im stuck here until I graduate.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 1:14 AM
Khan

I'm frightened.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 1:16 AM
Ex Houstonian

I couldnt stop and take pictures of most of these places because I have walked around and taken pictures of shit like this and been threatened with a gun, so I just drove by and quickly took pictures.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 2:18 AM
Ex Houstonian

I posted a thread a long time ago about the town of Russellville here

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=158284

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 2:34 AM

My ex and her family live in a backwoods, hillbilly, no-future, poverty stricken, meth-loving, ignorance embracing, POS dump of a town in Arkansas.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 3:01 AM

My college freshman year roommate was from Osceola, Arkansas, and I visited his family for a week. This reminds me very much of Osceola.

The only real difference is that Osceola is on the Mississippi, and that part of Arkansas has lots of poor blacks, who appear to be much poorer than even the redneck whites.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 3:59 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

I typically like to refrain from insulting places...but...I'm afraid I just can't do that right here, this place just looks that fucking laughably terrible.

(quality photos though!)

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 12:46 AM
License to IL

Holy crap dude.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2010, 10:01 AM
Closed account

Thumbs down

Redneck can be taken in context a couple of different ways, which I learned. To me redneck meant white trash, but to certain country and or southern people it just means that, just southern and or country people, or working class. I would have to agree with some peoples context here that yes, some white people in the country and in the south are rednecks as in white trash. At the same time I agree with others context, that redneck just means country, southern, hard working, and unpretentious people.

To me the type that are alcohalics, love to fight, and riff raff around like they don't have anything better to do is redneck in the context of being white trash, no doubt, no argument. On the other hand, calling people rednecks in the context of being white trash just because they are poor, believe in God, and are politically conservative is off base, ignorant, snobbish, and elitist.

Maybe some of these people can paint their homes, maybe they don't need as much junk laying around their yards, but does that make them trash, as in what kind of character they have as a human being ? Absolutely not. Does trash live in conditions like that ? sure, but again, it's a persons character, not how refined they are. Does trash live in subdivisions and in innercities ? Hell yes, because it's the lack of character they have, and having a refined life style doesn't change a thing.

We need to climb out of our ivory towers, and realize that good & bad lives in every environment. Again, just because you might not agree with certain peoples unrefined surroundings, or their political or religious beliefs, doesn't automatically make those people trash, or bad. Some of these people I'm sure would be the first to feed you and take the shirt off of their backs to help you, and anyone here that would make an absolute statement that many of them wouldn't needs to back it up with more experience or proof, after all, if you are going to put people down with generalizations, you have the burdon of proof.

How well would a thread about ghetto trash, crackheads, gangmembers, and drug dealers who drive funny painted sedans/pimp mobiles with funny looking skinny 10 foot tall wheels that you can here noise pollution thumping from a half male radius, that over populate our cities, AND small towns anymore go over here ? Not good I'm sure, even though that IS the truth, and not just programmed thinking.

I'm sure many of you who made shameful remarks in this thread will try to rationalize why you are right about doing so, or even bash me, but remember this, rationalizing or bashing will not dismiss the truth. It's ironic of who calls themselves classy, unbiased, tolerant, and enlightened these days, because it's the very hypocrites who endorse political correctness.Though I'm certain if it weren't politically incorrect to bash other groups, many of you hypocrites would feel free to do so, but white guilt holds you at bay, at least in the public, or on a conscience level, after all, you proved you ARE capable of being snobs. A lot of closet bigots hiding in the shadows of the liberal banner, or at least on the subconscience level.

In the end, I would rather stay with a hillbilly in a rusted trailer and a car on blocks in his yard that treats me good than a "refined" person who is a snobbish jerk, assuming that jerk doesn't run me off first, or call the cops on me.

I also feel safer around hillbillies who use guns to hunt, than around thugs with illegal guns that use them on fellow citizens to protect their drugs and turf from guess who, outsiders. OOOPS, Sorry, said something politically incorrect Also the same snobs who bitched in the past when certain conservatives said..."pull yourselves up by the boot straps", yet say..."these people can do better, no reason to be poor" .

Check this out. A nonwhite shits in the middle of the mall, yet people ignore him, like they do the obvious thugs who frequent them anymore because they are part of a "sympathetic" group, but lord forbid some poor white people come to the mall, regardless if they are decent people or not, and watch the trendy snobs give them the evil eye.This is the most hushed social issue in this country. If you call me a liar, then you are either a liar, or naive.

Maybe I'm just a "typical" white person, or one of "those" backwards racist afraid of "change".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br7DsPbM0g8

Last edited by Exodus; Mar 13, 2010 at 12:18 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 2:52 PM
Seek The Upward Horizon

Just curious, what did you expect? Jolly, gregarious Clintons having barbecues and square dances? Generally speaking, landlocked places with no special geographic or economic position turn out to be complete wrecks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos